• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
    Also the rest of the team is watching. If Chargers don't treat their self admitted superstar heart and soul player fairly, then the rest of the guys stand no chance. I think when AJ pulled his stunt with Gates he lost a lot of respect on the team and never really got it back.

TG
    I’m going to disagree with the Gates example. There’s a reason Gates immediately fired his agent afterwards and got the deal done with a better agent. There’s also a reason there was no drama in the third contract in 2010.

Comment

• chargeroo
      Fan since 1961
      • Jan 2019
      • Oregon
      • Retired Manager/Pastor
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

I’m going to disagree with the Gates example. There’s a reason Gates immediately fired his agent afterwards and got the deal done with a better agent. There’s also a reason there was no drama in the third contract in 2010.
      So I'm going to disagree with you - they lowballed AG and that was the problem. AJ was a hard-nosed GM. That was obvious.
      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• jamrock
        lawyers, guns and money
        • Sep 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

So I'm going to disagree with you - they lowballed AG and that was the problem. AJ was a hard-nosed GM. That was obvious.
        hard nosed cut off your nose to spite your face GM.

disqualified Gates from game 1 of that season and we lost to Dallas when we couldn't convert in the red zone (Gates' specialty) at the end.

Comment

• Xenos
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

hard nosed cut off your nose to spite your face GM.

disqualified Gates from game 1 of that season and we lost to Dallas when we couldn't convert in the red zone (Gates' specialty) at the end.
          Gates’ agent disqualified him from game 1. AJ couldn’t reverse the league’s rules even if he want to. Once again, there’s a reason that his agent was fired and contracts afterwards went so smoothly.

Edit: also why did we pass all four downs with LT as our RB?

Comment

• Xenos
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

There’s nothing to disagree with Roo. It’s what happened. Gates’ agent, who had no NFL background, misled him and caused him to miss the first game.

Comment

• chargeroo
              Fan since 1961
              • Jan 2019
              • Oregon
              • Retired Manager/Pastor
              • Send PM

We did that same thing again last year in the second Chiefs game.
              THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• captaind
                Cook This Pork Chops
                • Jun 2013
                • Mars
                • Ball Holder
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                Also the rest of the team is watching. If Chargers don't treat their self admitted superstar heart and soul player fairly, then the rest of the guys stand no chance. I think when AJ pulled his stunt with Gates he lost a lot of respect on the team and never really got it back.

TG
                Think that was more Jyles Tucker, but JMO.

Derwin may have also lured some players to play for the Chargers, so there's also that. He seems to be well liked & respected by not only his teammates, but a lot of other NFL players as well.

So TT, don't screw this up. Especially since I just won this jersey, lol.

Comment

• RTPbolt
                  Charger Fan till the end
                  • Jun 2013
                  • North Carolina
                  • Send PM

DJ isnt going anywhere. Im sure he will be in soon. I prefer him staying healthy anyway…

Comment

• jamrock
                    lawyers, guns and money
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Send PM

Gates’ agent disqualified him from game 1. AJ couldn’t reverse the league’s rules even if he want to. Once again, there’s a reason that his agent was fired and contracts afterwards went so smoothly.

AJ is the one who sent a letter demanding that he report a certain day and if he didn’t he’d be on the roster exempt list. So he couldn’t reverse the NFL rules that he put in process. Cut off your nose to spite your face.

Chargers GM A.J. Smith said at halftime of San Diego's preseason game against St. Louis that tight end will end his holdout and sign his one-year tender.

Comment

• Xenos
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

AJ is the one who sent a letter demanding that he report a certain day and if he didn’t he’d be on the roster exempt list. So he couldn’t reverse the NFL rules that he put in process. Cut off your nose to spite your face.

Chargers GM A.J. Smith said at halftime of San Diego's preseason game against St. Louis that tight end will end his holdout and sign his one-year tender.
                      It was the right move though. Too bad Gates’ former agent screwed him over and had him come in one day late.

Comment

• jamrock
                        lawyers, guns and money
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Send PM

It was the right move though. Too bad Gates’ former agent screwed him over and had him come in one day late.
                        Jesus. Just say I had it wrong. It’s not the end of the world

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

I don't remember all the details, don't really care now.
                          AJ was an A-hole.
                          Gates was a great guy as well as a HOF talent.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍