Pay da man !!!
    (With an injury clause or two.)
    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2021
      • Send PM

Need the hookup. Derwin is way too important to postpone. Surely it can’t be that fucking difficult to pay him. I’m tired, cranky and need more high octane beer & Safety :cheers:

Comment

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
        Pay da man !!!
        I agree that the team needs to pay James, but I do not mind the additional rest and recovery time for his surgically repaired shoulder. That is one positive outcome from the "hold-in".

Comment

• jamrock
          lawyers, guns and money
          • Sep 2017
          • Send PM

Pay da man !!!
          $90m over 4 years, $x guaranteed. X is the problem

Comment

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

My understanding is that Fitzpatrick became the highest paid safety in NFL history when PIT extended him for 4 years at $73.6M with $36M guaranteed.

I think James wants the team to beat that figure, but $90M is too much of an increase over $73.6M. overthecap.com indicates that we are more than $13M over the salary cap for next year as things stand right now before dealing with James, so there will have to be some restructuring/roster moves as it is based upon that information.

Also, during James' deal, the team, of course, will have to deal with Herbert as well, whether by extension or by franchise tagging him.

Without knowing more about how the team intends to proceed, in the case of four-year contracts, I kind of like small signing bonuses and the first two years of salary to match the guaranteed portion of the contract, which minimizes the pain felt by the team if the decision is made to part company with the player before the third year of the contract.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

wu got a "D" in Calculus.

Comment

• equivocation
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2021
                • Send PM

Time to start worrying is in about 2 weeks.

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

My understanding is that Fitzpatrick became the highest paid safety in NFL history when PIT extended him for 4 years at $73.6M with $36M guaranteed.

I think James wants the team to beat that figure, but $90M is too much of an increase over $73.6M. overthecap.com indicates that we are more than $13M over the salary cap for next year as things stand right now before dealing with James, so there will have to be some restructuring/roster moves as it is based upon that information.

Also, during James' deal, the team, of course, will have to deal with Herbert as well, whether by extension or by franchise tagging him.

Without knowing more about how the team intends to proceed, in the case of four-year contracts, I kind of like small signing bonuses and the first two years of salary to match the guaranteed portion of the contract, which minimizes the pain felt by the team if the decision is made to part company with the player before the third year of the contract.
                  It would be easy to say Minkah got $18.75 a year and Derwin needs to top it at say $20m a year. But I suspect Derwin and his agent are saying, I’m much more than a safety. I play all over the field. I’m a Swiss Army knife. I gotta get much more than Minkah

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

X = 20.

Comment

• Parcells
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

If you look at these contracts, each player gets slightly more than the previous highest paid guy. My guess is Derwin’s deal is a little better than Minkah’s deal, but nothing insane. They were in the same draft. My guess is that it’s a four year extension on top of this fifth year option that he is on. But it should be right around what Fitzpatrick is paid. The fact is that Fitzpatrick has been far more durable than Derwin. So while I’m fine paying Derwin, he shouldn’t be getting something a number vastly better than Fitzpatrick.

Comment

It would be easy to say Minkah got $18.75 a year and Derwin needs to top it at say $20m a year. But I suspect Derwin and his agent are saying, I’m much more than a safety. I play all over the field. I’m a Swiss Army knife. I gotta get much more than Minkah
                        That would be a good position for Derwin's agent to take, but the team can counter with Derwin's injury history. At the end of the day, I think the team needs to show Derwin respect by making him the highest paid safety in NFL history (at least for the moment), but I think there are legitimate reasons not to blow away the best ever contact offered to a safety. Beating it should be good enough and I hope Derwin's agent and the team both see it that way.

Comment

• JOJAX85
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2018
                          • Irmo, SC
                          • Send PM

X = 20.
                          I think that's the organization's X. Derwin's camp is probably looking for more like 50 guaranteed. That's the quandary.

Comment

Working...
                          X