Clear All
  • Air Coryell
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2021
    • Carlsbad, CA
    • Teacher, Coach, CFO
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Yeah, it sounds kind of weird and maybe non-problematic. Need to know more.

I’ll also wait to see him play more before cutting him, too. He didn’t play well in his start here, agree. Its a small sample size, he seemed to not have a grasp on the scheme and was thinking more than naturally playing/reacting. but he played much better over a longer stretch in NE. I understand folks are disappointed, we thought we bought a #1 lockdown corner and he didn’t produce immediately.

Staley has been dialing up more press cover recently than he did at the beginning of the year. That approach seems better suited to what JCJ did well in NE - maybe he’ll play better next year. I think the rush to ride a guy’s back around here at times is premature.
    Did you even watch the 1st part of the season? He got benched for a reason. He was getting beat many times and was out of position. Maybe he is not very smart; maybe the money changed him. Who knows. No DB should be paid what TT payed him. Big mistake. Dismal performance; bigger mistake; add on an injury; catastrophic mistake.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Air Coryell View Post

Did you even watch the 1st part of the season? He got benched for a reason. He was getting beat many times and was out of position. Maybe he is not very smart; maybe the money changed him. Who knows. No DB should be paid what TT payed him. Big mistake. Dismal performance; bigger mistake; add on an injury; catastrophic mistake.
      I watched every play. I said he didnt play well, did you skim or something? i know he was benched. I saw him out of sorts and out of position, I saw him get burned just like you did.

I also saw that he’s got $12M guaranteed salary in 2023 and $32M dead cap to cut him before June ‘23. $32M dead cap is multiple good players we either can’t sign or have to cut just to be rid of this guy?

He played a lot better in New England. maybe the 5 games he played here were an outlier due to something that can be corrected, maybe he just hadn’t yet grasped the Staley approach. I’m bringing him to camp next year and find out if he can learn to play in Staley’s defense and if he can’t - I put him on the bench as backup and tell him to run fast downfield on special teams. He’s not going to be worse than whatever 6th DB you stuff at the back of the roster. At least then I don’t need to find another $20M in cap space.
      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

JCJ played mostly press corner with the Cheatriots. Staley/Hill tried to get him to mostly play zone. Now the Bolts are playing more press. I'd like to see JCJ play several games at mostly press corner before making any rash decisions...

Comment

• Heatmiser
          HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Patriots have a new rookie moderately drafted CB who is playing very well this season. Go figure.

TG
          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

JCJ played mostly press corner with the Cheatriots. Staley/Hill tried to get him to mostly play zone. Now the Bolts are playing more press. I'd like to see JCJ play several games at mostly press corner before making any rash decisions...
            Thats my thought too. Set aside the question of should TT have signed him, thats water under bridges and ain’t coming back. Nobody here was screaming it was a horrible decision, some simply said it was a bit overpriced but nobody predicted his massive flop. Same with pundits and analysts - EVERYONE thought it was a good move so lets not all play genius hindsight that TT is stupid.

In the Here and Now - the cap hit to simply cut him before next season is a brutal hit and we already need to find cap savings, that rash move could cripple the FO’s ability to maneuver next year. Lets not be petty and childish.

We all ack that he did not play like CB1 when put in the mostly zone cover assignments, he was lost and confused and hesitated and even in some man situations it fucked up his head and he blew coverages. But go watch tape from NE and you can see he was better than what we saw and an unskilled UDFA scrub.

Get him in more press assignments, get him more comfortable with the Staley zone designs, maybe move him to CB2 and sign Vato as CB1 so he’s up against the second best WR and not their #1. There’s options to try to maybe salvage what has not been a good situation so far. Its worth a try before taking a $30M cap slap across the face.

And as I said - even if he can’t be salvaged into a CB2 or Dime DB, much less CB1, put him on fucking special teams and have him chase returners and sit on the bench as backup emergency DB before dumping a $32M cap hit on the roster situation. Wait another year+.
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• QSmokey
              Guardedly Optimistic
              • Jun 2013
              • Kuna, Idaho
              • Retired
              • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

And as I said - even if he can’t be salvaged into a CB2 or Dime DB, much less CB1, put him on fucking special teams and have him chase returners and sit on the bench as backup emergency DB before dumping a $32M cap hit on the roster situation. Wait another year+.
              Agree there is no rush to cut the guy, strictly from a cap standpoint. He's gotta a lot of work to do to come back from this injury - if he can - so his dedication to getting back in playing shape will be something else to watch. I do feel strongly that he has zero trade value, and I'm not sure that can be disputed. His cap hit, his serious injury, and now his legal challenges make him a pretty undesirable player.

Comment

• Air Coryell
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2021
                • Carlsbad, CA
                • Teacher, Coach, CFO
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

NE also played zone. As one of the highest paid CB's he should be able to play both at a high level. He sucked at both for us. then suffered a major injury Now he is bringing legal drama into the locker room. We also have a lot of cap issues next year (JH, etc). Again, this starts with TT. Sucks to spend in F/A for any non-OL/DL/Edge.

Comment

• richpjr
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Nashville
                  • Send PM

NE also played zone. As one of the highest paid CB's he should be able to play both at a high level. He sucked at both for us. then suffered a major injury Now he is bringing legal drama into the locker room. We also have a lot of cap issues next year (JH, etc). Again, this starts with TT. Sucks to spend in F/A for any non-OL/DL/Edge.
                  Just love the hindsight on this forum.

Last year our corner play sucked. Davis played awful (according to him because of off field problems with his girlfriend). People wanted him cut as a bust. With hindsight we see he turned it around, but nobody knew if he would or wouldn't. So in response TT signs the highest rated corner available in the prime of his career to address a big area of need in Jackson. Jackson reportedly looked great in camp but had the surgery and struggled after it before his leg injury. Who knows now if he can even come back. Most people here were excited when he was signed. It hasn't worked out - yet. Perhaps he can come back healthy and get his confidence back.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2022
                    • White Rock, BC Canada
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Just love the hindsight on this forum.

Last year our corner play sucked. Davis played awful (according to him because of off field problems with his girlfriend). People wanted him cut as a bust. With hindsight we see he turned it around, but nobody knew if he would or wouldn't. So in response TT signs the highest rated corner available in the prime of his career to address a big area of need in Jackson. Jackson reportedly looked great in camp but had the surgery and struggled after it before his leg injury. Who knows now if he can even come back. Most people here were excited when he was signed. It hasn't worked out - yet. Perhaps he can come back healthy and get his confidence back.
                    You are right on that. Hindsight is 20/20. We all liked the signing.

Does lean towards a liability at this moment though. Aside from bad perfomance and looking like another Patriot that busts on his new team that injury is 50/50 at best to ever come back from effectively....now there is off the field drama.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Does lean towards a liability at this moment though. Aside from bad perfomance and looking like another Patriot that busts on his new team that injury is 50/50 at best to ever come back from effectively....now there is off the field drama.
                      Gronk and Brady weren't busts on other teams. Welker wasn't either. I'm sure there are some others. I think saying former Pats players suck on other teams isn't correct.
                      Coaches sure.
                      Last edited by Boltjolt; 12-21-2022, 07:38 PM.
                      11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
                      35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                      37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                      66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                      69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                      100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
                      110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                      140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
                      181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
                      225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

If he doesn't come back and play at his previous Patriot level or the legal issues turn out to be serious, than it would be a really bad signing. Time will tell.

Comment

Working...
                        X