2023 Official Charger Draft - Post Draft Discussion (Daily Links In OP)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stinky Wizzleteats+
    Grammar Police
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

If you draft OG in the second or third you will find starting quality but if you draft WR TE or Edge in the second or third you likely are not going to get year one starters. BAA at 21.
    Go Rivers!

Comment

• ghost
      The Rise of Kellen Moore
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
      I wonder why the Chargers talked up Atonio Mafi at The East-West Shrine Bowl practices in Las Vegas.

He is a long-armed Gap/Power offensive guard from UCLA.

This guy would be a mid round value pick.

He could be an understudy to Feiler during the final year of Matt's contract.

Unfortunately Popper's Puppets on TPB say no, because that's supposed to be Salyer's spot.
      Passive aggressiveness. Just blow it out what you're upset about. Jamaree Sayler got exposed as a tackle prospect against Chandler Jones, because he struggles with speed rushers. It was in his draft profile. 'Might struggle with speed rushers at the next level, etc.' Jammy was marvelous for most of the entire season as he was pressed into action out of pure need at the position. Now, Jammy rightly belongs at left guard for the next decade. Love, love this kid. Perhaps, while we are squabbling like old Russian women over the offensive line about Jamaree Salyer, the front office might have already found someone else they like better for the position in Atonio Mafi.

Will Pipkens be resigned or should he be let go and a new RT drafted? Alot of meat on that bone to chew. However, if they are interested in Atonio Mafi, they may have interest in Salyer as the guard swingman. Again, I don't see an issue with that either if Kellen Moore feels play at the triangle positions are wanting. That is my speculation.

Here's a cool-story-bro, there's an old football coach/author I talk to in the mornings, and he told me 'Hey, I'm watching the Broncos game, and the general manager is one of the kids I coached: George Paton'.

Comment

• ghost
        The Rise of Kellen Moore
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargers8491 View Post
        For the Oline peps. Here you go....

Good rep. Look at how Dawand gets his hands inside on the defender's body and the defender never touches Dawand's torso. If he's got the feet to match, I'm impressed and will be looking for tape on his abilities with speed rushers upfield.

Comment

• charger1_sj
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2022
          • Send PM

Pipkens is an UFA. We may not have the option of signing him as I am sure his agent will explore the FA market. Due to our cap situation
          I'm doubtful we'll be doing much in FA unless of course we clear millions in cap space.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Before the Chargers played the Raiders, I posted that it would be a bad matchup + there would not be any help.

Jamaree vs Chandler.
            You don't know ball

Comment

• ghost
              The Rise of Kellen Moore
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

2. What do the Bolts do with Salyer?

Slater's return to the starting lineup, of course, brings up the question of what to do with Salyer.

The rookie filled in admirably in Slater's spot, but there's no question about which player starts there in 2023.

So, what are the options with Salyer?

Pipkins is a free agent, so the Chargers could move him to right tackle if that starting spot opens up. They could also look at Salyer at left guard, a spot Feiler occupied but a place Salyer spent most of training camp and the preseason.

Or Salyer might not start at all and could be one of the league's best swing tackles going forward.

Chargers General Manager Tom Telesco was asked about Salyer at his year-end press conference.

"He saved us this year," Telesco said.

He later added: "Jamaree never flinched. He has great poise and balance, and patience at that position. I think a lot of that is because he played it a lot at the college level and played at a pretty high level. He played really efficient football for us at a critical position. As you move into next year, as good as Jamaree played, I feel pretty comfortable that Rashawn Slater will be our left tackle, but we'll figure out what the best role for Jamaree is. It's a negative when a player gets hurt. The one little positive is other players getting an opportunity and now, we know what he can do, rather than thinking he can do something. It will give us some flexibility. Do we see him at a guard or a tackle for next year? I don't know yet, to be honest with you. I'm not sure." - Eric Smith/Chargers.com
              The Chargers used six different starting combinations along the offensive line in 2022 but had plenty of strong moments throughout the season

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                If you draft OG in the second or third you will find starting quality but if you draft WR TE or Edge in the second or third you likely are not going to get year one starters. BAA at 21.
                The need for a starting WR is negligible if we keep KA, MW, Palmer. Speed WR might be Guyton or a day 2-3 pick.
                BPA at 21 might be a WR.
                A lot depends on our choices in FA, cuts, renegotiating. Draft team and the board when we're on the clock.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                  Charger Fan since 1978
                  • Sep 2021
                  • Send PM

I’m not convinced this team needs to draft a starting WR, speed guy yes, but he could be a 3-5 round guy that starts out returning kick offs and they create a small role in the offense to start, we have 3 starting caliber WRs right now in keenan, palmer, and williams…not sure where this idea that we need to draft starters in round one otherwise it’s a wasted pick, this is a more complete team now so there won’t be as many starting positions needing to be filled…
                  "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                    Charger Fan since 1978
                    • Sep 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Good rep. Look at how Dawand gets his hands inside on the defender's body and the defender never touches Dawand's torso. If he's got the feet to match, I'm impressed and will be looking for tape on his abilities with speed rushers upfield.
                    I like jones but I get that boom or bust vibe from him, is he going to be able to play professional guys like he was working the guys at the senior bowl? If the answer is yes, then he might become an elite RT in the NFL…
                    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                      Grammar Police
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

If you get a WR in the first two rounds it's going to be hard for him to put one of the three of Allen Williams and Palmer on the bench but with the injuries Williams and Allen had plus Allen's age and contract we want to have the replacement on the team with time to develop them. Will annother Palmer or later round pick do? I'm not sure. If you just want a speed guy yes you can get competition for Guyton in the third or later but for a more complete WR you have to draft them early. With contracts going up for WRs the really good ones go fast...
                      Go Rivers!

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                        Charger Fan since 1978
                        • Sep 2021
                        • Send PM

If you get a WR in the first two rounds it's going to be hard for him to put one of the three of Allen Williams and Palmer on the bench but with the injuries Williams and Allen had plus Allen's age and contract we want to have the replacement on the team with time to develop them. Will annother Palmer or later round pick do? I'm not sure. If you just want a speed guy yes you can get competition for Guyton in the third or later but for a more complete WR you have to draft them early. With contracts going up for WRs the really good ones go fast...
                        Draft a complete WR and he’s still only going to play limited snaps, he’s still going to be a rookie, he’s still not going to be ready to push anyone of those three men for snaps…so draft a fast guy later with return skills that you can take 1-2 years to develop makes sense…the point is to improve the speed in the group going forward…

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                          Charger Fan since 1978
                          • Sep 2021
                          • Send PM

BTW, the recievers in this draft are not as good as in the last 4-5 years, complete wr? Who qualifies this year? Maybe one of the 4.5 guys but then you are back to having a bunch of 4.5 guys…

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍