2023 Official Charger Draft - Post Draft Discussion (Daily Links In OP)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Xenos
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
    Not to argue pro or con, just curious why you say this?
    I see it as a possibility, not a high probability.
    When we're on the clock, WR could jump out as BPA. I lean toward TE, CB or Edge at 21.
    A rookie WR will compete with Palmer for 3rd or 4th most targets in 2023. 5th if Ekeler remains a Charger.
    A WR in 1 or 2 needs to be a special talent IMO.
    If we get one, Yay Us!
    Couple of reasons:
    1) We lack a true vertical threat on this team since we haven’t brought Guyton back. Or brought in any speedy FA WR.
    2) Given how much money we pushed into 2024, I suspect that either KA or MW will not be back next offseason. The WR4 we draft will probably end up replacing one of them in 2024. It’s the same line of thinking for TE and Edge. Possibly CB if we don’t extend Vato and JC never recovers from his injury.
    3) But yes, I see WR in the 2nd or 3rd.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
      Brock Bowers N.M.W.
      • Feb 2019
      • McLean Illinois
      • Pipefitter Illinois State University
      • Send PM

To me, it is telling that we let all our depth pieces float away in the both the WR and DL rooms...that may not be indicative of our first pick...but it sure forecasts for the meat of the draft, IMO...
      Mock version 3.0-The "Double Mitchell"
      (Assumes "fantasy" trade with Vikes)

11. Q. Mitchell CB
      23. A. Mitchell WR
      37. K. Jenkins DT
      69. C. Beebe OG -105. C.Gray LB
      110. R. Davis RB -140. J. Jones Slot CB
      181. T. McLachlan TE -225. J. Jean-Baptiste Edge
      253. K. Vidal RB

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
        Couple of reasons:
        1) We lack a true vertical threat on this team since we haven’t brought Guyton back. Or brought in any speedy FA WR.
        2) Given how much money we pushed into 2024, I suspect that either KA or MW will not be back next offseason. The WR4 we draft will probably end up replacing one of them in 2024. It’s the same line of thinking for TE and Edge. Possibly CB if we don’t extend Vato and JC never recovers from his injury.
        Great post Xenos! Those re-structures have to be considered.
        If I had to predict... KA and MW are competing for a roster spot next year. Cap-wise or age-wise... they probably keep Williams.
        The same competition for a 2024 roster spot exists between Mack and Bosa. Cap-wise or age-wise... they probably keep Bosa.
        Releasing KA and Mack saves $46+million against 2024's cap. Plenty of space for a JH extension.

I think they may be targeting a polished route runner @WR to compete with Palmer. Maybe a pure speed WR in later rounds or an UDFA.
        IMO, the BPA @#21 will be a CB. Vato hasn't been extended and JCJ is re-habbing. I think JCJ was brought in to replace Vato initially.
        Now with the injury, they are in a wait-and-see situation. Either way, they have to replace Callahan @slot-corner.
        I have a sneaking suspicion of who they like @CB in the 1st round.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post
          "Jitterbug"...lol, that one tickled me....but true enough, a type of weapon I would love to add...so besides wr, BJ, you got any RBs that fit that bill? Gibbs I don't want to spend a first on...Spears fits the bill...any late round gems come to mind?
          LOL, well thats my best discription. Tyreek is also a jitterbug type player. Flowers isnt quite as fast as Hill but he is close enough. Its been my opinion that we dont really need a straight line speed guy as much as we need a YAC guy. How many times have we seen Hill take a pass and just make people miss out run them and go to the house or a long gainer?

That is what Flowers does best and imo he is the best for what type reciever we need. And hec i think Flowers does the jitterbug thing better than Tyreek, though Flowers did it in college.
          Hill is just fast with YAC ability and Flowers has the twitch to juke more than Hill. He has great vision and body control. Being able to stop on a dime and do a jump backwards to avoid them and seeing a defender from the side and stop and juke him is amazing to me. He has had some drops but he also has some really good catches too.

RBs not really. Bijan is #1. Gibbs i agree, no first rounder on him. Im also a No for the smaller guys like Deuce Vaughn and Achane. Still like Chase Brown, Rochon and Charbonett, Gray, Evans for us. I also like McBride but his lack of receptions is a concern.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2022
            • White Rock, BC Canada
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

LOL, well thats my best discription. Tyreek is also a jitterbug type player. Flowers isnt quite as fast as Hill but he is close enough. Its been my opinion that we dont really need a straight line speed guy as much as we need a YAC guy. How many times have we seen Hill take a pass and just make people miss out run them and go to the house or a long gainer?

That is what Flowers does best and imo he is the best for what type reciever we need. And hec i think Flowers does the jitterbug thing better than Tyreek, though Flowers did it in college.
            Hill is just fast with YAC ability and Flowers has the twitch to juke more than Hill. He has great vision and body control. Being able to stop on a dime and do a jump backwards to avoid them and seeing a defender from the side and stop and juke him is amazing to me. He has had some drops but he also has some really good catches too.
            Yes to YAC!!!

Herbert has never had a guy like Burrow and Mahomes have, that can take an 8 yard toss 60 yards

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post
              Couple of reasons:
              I dont understand why they havent extended Vato. It would give us cap relief as well. Kind of a puzzler.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Great post Xenos! Those re-structures have to be considered.
                If I had to predict... KA and MW are competing for a roster spot next year. Cap-wise or age-wise... they probably keep Williams.
                The same competition for a 2024 roster spot exists between Mack and Bosa. Cap-wise or age-wise... they probably keep Bosa.
                Releasing KA and Mack saves $46+million against 2024's cap. Plenty of space for a JH extension.

I think they may be targeting a polished route runner @WR to compete with Palmer. Maybe a pure speed WR in later rounds or an UDFA.
                IMO, the BPA @#21 will be a CB. Vato hasn't been extended and JCJ is re-habbing. I think JCJ was brought in to replace Vato initially.
                Now with the injury, they are in a wait-and-see situation. Either way, they have to replace Callahan @slot-corner.
                I have a sneaking suspicion of who they like @CB in the 1st round.
                Not sure "competing" is the word id use. They know what they have in all those guys.

Mack has cap and age against him for 2024. If Bosa misses games again,..... only if he balls out while on the field do i keep him, otherwise he is a trade candidate for 2024.

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Not sure "competing" is the word id use. They know what they have in all those guys.

Mack has cap and age against him for 2024. If Bosa misses games again,..... only if he balls out while on the field do i keep him, otherwise he is a trade candidate for 2024.
                  Maybe "competing" is the wrong word. Maybe waiting to see how healthy KA looks next year. And seeing who is most effective in Kellen Moore's offense.
                  I think you're right about Mack's age giving Bosa the advantage. I find it hard to believe that the Chargers cut Mack and trade Bosa. I know the frustration with Bosa is high right now. But let's see how productive each edge rusher is this year. I'd like to see them with each other on opposite sides. They were both so effective in the limited games they were both healthy.

Comment

• jamrock
                    lawyers, guns and money
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Send PM

I dont understand why they havent extended Vato. It would give us cap relief as well. Kind of a puzzler.
                    He may want JCJ money

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Maybe "competing" is the wrong word. Maybe waiting to see how healthy KA looks next year. And seeing who is most effective in Kellen Moore's offense.
                      I think you're right about Mack's age giving Bosa the advantage. I find it hard to believe that the Chargers cut Mack and trade Bosa. I know the frustration with Bosa is high right now. But let's see how productive each edge rusher is this year. I'd like to see them with each other on opposite sides. They were both so effective in the limited games they were both healthy.
                      And there's the "Team" thing. Our projected starters had hardly played a game together healthy when the wheels started falling off
                      I would dearly love to see Mack & Bosa rushing with a solid DL, LB(s) and DBs on the field at the same time for some games. There was a lot of "New" that never got running smoothly together. I still feel that this Chargers team could be among the best.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

And there's the "Team" thing. Our projected starters had hardly played a game together healthy when the wheels started falling off
                        I would dearly love to see Mack & Bosa rushing with a solid DL, LB(s) and DBs on the field at the same time for some games. There was a lot of "New" that never got running smoothly together. I still feel that this Chargers team could be among the best.
                        You’re damn straight they could be! Thats exactly what QSmoke and me have been telling everyone!

Btw - fun fact, little known in TPB - QSmokey is in fact a bear. its the reason he resists hugs - he’s hurt people in the past. When bears hug, they really go for it … not always a pretty result.
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Xenos
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Takes two to tangle. They may be working on it but he has to agree also. May feel that he’s worth more and want to go FA with another great year.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍