2023 Official Charger Draft - Post Draft Discussion (Daily Links In OP)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt Dude View Post
    ^ I think so much depends on what happens with OL decisions this off-season. Does Salyer prove more effective than Pipkins as an OT? Do we move Salyer to LG? Will Salyer be upset about not getting the chance to compete for the RT spot?

And there's more questions: Will Callahan stay healthy? How ready is Jasir Taylor? Will Mack stay healthy? Will Rumph step up in Bosa's absence? Will Woods be ready??

But if the season ended today, I'd like a fast, dynamic WR. I'd like a pass rushing DT to replace Tillery. I'd like another edge rusher. I'd like a swing tackle to replace Norton. Another TE and an OC to groom behind Linsley.
    TT needs to stay focused on building the OL. One thing for sure, next year’s OL will be different than this years. Feiler will probably be gone and Pipkins will want more money. Will TT pay it? We know he rarely resigns lower draft picks to 2nd contracts.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
      Draftnik
      • Oct 2020
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

TT needs to stay focused on building the OL. One thing for sure, next year’s OL will be different than this years. Feiler will probably be gone and Pipkins will want more money. Will TT pay it? We know he rarely resigns lower draft picks to 2nd contracts.
      Very good points. I could also see TT re-signing Pipkins just to prove he was right about using a 3rd on a project from Sioux Falls.
      Our quarterback is a golden god.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
        Draftnik
        • Oct 2020
        • Send PM

Watching this Texas/Oklahoma game and Texas DT T'Vondre Sweat (#93) has my attention. 6'4, 346, long arms and brutal at the point of attack. Montez Sweat's little brother, except, in this case, the little brother is much bigger. He's not a meatball either--looks like an athlete. Possible mid-round selection.

This Texas team is fun to watch. Bijan is incredible. So is Ewers and Xavier Worthy. Their sophomore TE and freshman LT are studs. Overshown is an NFL caliber ILB.
        Last edited by Bolt Dude; 10-08-2022, 10:56 AM.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Pipkins is going to get 8-10 million if he keeps his play up. Feiler type money at the least. He’s having a solid year at a valuable position.
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• chargeroo
            Fan since 1961
            • Jan 2019
            • Oregon
            • Retired Manager/Pastor
            • Send PM

People think there are as many as ten QB's that will be picked in this year's draft. If so, that improves our chances of landing good players at pon.
            THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Bolt Dude
              Draftnik
              • Oct 2020
              • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
              People think there are as many as ten QB's that will be picked in this year's draft. If so, that improves our chances of landing good players at pon.
              Good point. Another hidden benefit of having a young franchise QB.

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                Draftnik
                • Oct 2020
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                Pipkins is going to get 8-10 million if he keeps his play up. Feiler type money at the least. He’s having a solid year at a valuable position.
                That's correct. Another reason to let Feiler walk. Or it could be a reason to let Feiler AND Pipkins walk--then slide Salyer to RT in '23. If that's the case, TT could draft a rookie LG, and 4/5 of our OL would be on rookie deals.

Comment

• beachcomber
                  & ramblin' man
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

^ I think so much depends on what happens with OL decisions this off-season.

Does Salyer prove more effective than Pipkins as an OT? yes

Do we move Salyer to LG? no

Will Salyer be upset about not getting the chance to compete for the RT spot? yes

And there's more questions: Will Callahan stay healthy? no

How ready is Jasir Taylor? not

Will Mack stay healthy? no

Will Rumph step up in Bosa's absence? no

Will Woods be ready?? yes, he's ready now.

But if the season ended today, I'd like a fast, dynamic WR. wanted one last year, and yes a dynamic WR3 would be nice, and speaking for myself, there is no Garrett Wilson in this draft.

I'd like a pass rushing DT to replace Tillery. yes, and don't have anyone on my draft radar save for Calijah Kancey, as grateful that we have Fox so far.

I'd like another edge rusher. yes, and the two guys I have on my board atm are Jared Verse and YaYa Diaby.

I'd like a swing tackle to replace Norton. yes, and if not Foster Sarell, then would prolly be looking in FA for the such.

Another TE. yes, and there are several that may be available day two/round four in next year's stanza.

and an OC to groom behind Linsley. yes, a must get, and not sure if Salyer wouldn't be worth a look see there, and.... like Eli Cox in the draft, and dude was a midseason All American @guard last season, if Salyer is the better get @the OC.
                  RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• Bolt Dude
                    Draftnik
                    • Oct 2020
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post
                    If Callahan doesn't stay healthy and Ja'Sir isn't ready, we might need to draft a NCB. As a day 3 option I love Darius Snow.

There's no Garrett Wilson in this draft, but I like Quentin Johnston better as a deep threat. Also like Smith-Njigba and, to a lesser extent, Boutte. Zachari Franklin and AT Perry are some non-1st round deep threat receivers I like. Also Charlie Jones is the truth.

For non-1st round pass rushing DTs I like Gervon Dexter (possibly a 1st rounder tho) and Jer'zhan Newton, who will be a day 3 steal. But yes, I'm very grateful for Fox too.

I disagree about Woods. He needs to add weight and improve tackling ability before I'm comfortable seeing him on the field.

I like Verse as well, and a few others, including Felix Anudike-Uzomah and Bralen Trice. Andre Carter II is interesting, but reserving judgment until after Senior Bowl and Combine.

Everything else I'm in agreement with, except trying Salyer at backup center. He should focus on OT and G. Not that I don't think he could do it, but I wouldn't want to spread him too thin.

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

I like Verse as well, and a few others, including Felix Anudike-Uzomah and Bralen Trice. Andre Carter II is interesting, but reserving judgment until after Senior Bowl and Combine.
                      My EDGE rushers with a 1st round grade:

1. Will Anderson
                      2. Myles Murphy
                      3. Felix Anudike-Uzomah
                      4. Isaiah Foskey
                      5. BJ Ojulari
                      6. Andre Carter II
                      7. Jared Verse

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Over The Cap currently has these players' value set @

Bryce Callahan = $12.5 mil
                        Trey Pipkins = $12.6 mil
                        Morgan Fox = $6.1 mil
                        Nasir Adderly = $4.7 mil

If Callahan stays healthy and Pipkins continues to play well/improve... I don't think we can re-sign those guys. Especially when you consider our cap for next year.
                        I don't trust JT Woods, yet. I think Adderly (although improvement is needed) is good value and will probably be re-signed.
                        No one wants Tillery back (liability vs the run). Morgan Fox has provided inside pass rush. He seems like good value, too. He's a candidate for a re-sign IMO.

The other players I think are poor value (cap casualty candidates) are Michael Davis and Matt Feiler.
                        Being $13 million over the cap for next year, I just don't see how we can keep Khalil Mack's $27 million cap for next year... even with a re-structure.

De Andre Carter's market value is another one to keep an eye on...

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

If Mack's contract can't be re-structured responsibly, then I think an EDGE rusher becomes priority #1.
                          If Callahan continues to shine... if Michael Davis is a cap casualty, then CB/NB becomes priority #2.
                          If Pipkins continues to play well, then Salyer becomes RT.
                          If Feiler continues to disappoint, he becomes a cap casualty. LG becomes priority #3.

Comment

Working...
                          X