• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

The Trey Pipkins thread…

Considering how much I’ve discounted and bashed Trey, I felt it was prudent to give him some props for week 1….so far so good…

I’m giving him a B+ for his week 1 performance, he IS an upgrade over norton, I saw him battle crosby really nice dropping his hips and stonewalling his bull rush…I can’t believe I’m saying this but pipkins still has room to grow, if he continues like yesterday for the remainder of the season, he’ll definitely get resigned to an extension in 2023…

I’ll be posting updates every week and track his progress…

considering the amount of angst the RT question has created for charger fans I think pipkins finally living up to his physical abilities is much anticipated and needed to put the final piece on the O-line puzzle…
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​
  • Ghost of Quacksaw
    Beef Before Gazelles
    • May 2021
    • Send PM

As the saying goes, when the play of an O-linemen stands out? That's usually a bad thing.

Yesterday Trey was rarely conspicuous, and it was a very positive thing. Props to him.

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Considering who he was going against, I thought Pipkins played about as well as we could have hoped. The RT was probably the biggest question I had on the starting roster and though it's only been one game, I am now a lot less worried than I was.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
        Beef Before Gazelles
        • May 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
        Considering who he was going against, I thought Pipkins played about as well as we could have hoped. The RT was probably the biggest question I had on the starting roster and though it's only been one game, I am now a lot less worried than I was.
        Yes, it's clear after just one game that the RT position isn't the problem it was a year ago.

We can't say yet HOW improved it is, but there's no doubt based on what happened in the game, and based on the opponent, that it's not the train wreck it was previously.

Comment

• Bearded14YourPleasure
          Fluent in Sarcasm
          • Jun 2013
          • Iowa
          • Man of the People
          • Send PM

There were several crucial conversions that came from running to the right side, including the last one by Sony to lead to the victory formation. Establishing the ability to pick up tough yards on both sides of the line will open up this offense. Now just need to see that game-to-game consistency and building good reps on top of good reps. Happy to see Trey starting to prove the doubters wrong, always happy to eat crow on positive developments!

Comment

• JupiterBolt
            ~ Charger Fan ~
            • Sep 2018
            • Jupiter, FL
            • Send PM

As soon as I heard he was training with Duke over the summer, I instantly started rooting for him. He put in the extra work and it shows.

Comment

• cmplxgal
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • New Jersey
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post
              Considering how much I’ve discounted and bashed Trey, I felt it was prudent to give him some props for week 1….so far so good…

Good call. Pipkins deserves the props. Thanks for starting this thread.

Comment

• FarAwayBoltFan
                San Diego Native
                • Feb 2019
                • Farmington, NM
                • Send PM

Maxxx Crosby alone ate us up last year. Yesterday, combined with Chandler Jones, he failed failed to get a sack. Congrats to the Charges O-line and especially to Trey Pipkins!

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Send PM

He got help from Everett and Mckitty to block Crosby. I expect more of this for edge players who Pipkins will have a hard time on his own against.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post
                    He got help from Everett and Mckitty to block Crosby. I expect more of this for edge players who Pipkins will have a hard time on his own against.
                    Not anything like last season with Storm and I didn't notice a lot of chips.

On Herberts TD to Carter, Pip did a nice bit of work handing Crosby off to Zion and rotating outward for the stunt.

Comment

• Steve
                      Administrator
                      • Jun 2013
                      • South Carolina
                      • Meteorologist
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post
                      He did get help at times, but not on every play. THere were plenty of plays where he was one on one and held up.

Granted, I wouldn't want him doing it for 50 or 60 attempts, but that may come in time.

Comment

• Steve
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • South Carolina
                        • Meteorologist
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Not anything like last season with Storm and I didn't notice a lot of chips.

On Herberts TD to Carter, Pip did a nice bit of work handing Crosby off to Zion and rotating outward for the stunt.
                        I have seen players do it better, but considering that Zion and Pipkins have not been working together, I was pretty pleased to see them doing it pretty well. In a few weeks, I wouldn't be suprised if there was a lot less stunting and blitzing on the right side of the line. The Raiders were testing both of them, and they did pretty well (both Zion and Pipkins).

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍