• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Joe Lombardi Discussion

Sorry, I'm done with Lombo. The dude is a dud...after enduring his pitiful playcalling last year, we get more of the same the first two games this season. We escaped with a win vs. the Raiders, even though Lombo went conservative with classic Lomboball: Too many runs, short passes, and only TWO passes over 17 yards the entire game (both complete, BTW). This game, I had hopes he had turned over a new leaf with some nice mixing it up on playcalling the first half. Then he went Lomboball again with a couple of 3-and-outs in the second half, and allowed the Chefs back in the game.

And what happened with that pick-6? Everett has a nice gainer to the red zone, then instead of resting a gassed Everett, Lombo dials up a no-huddle with a throw to who? Everett? It was obvious the dude was gassed after fighting for yardage the previous play...why not at least call a normal huddle to confirm the play, the routes, either pull Everett for a down to give him a rest, or at least give him a 30-second rest between plays. But no. So that pick was partly on Herbie, partly on Everett, but also partly on Lombo for asking too much of his players in the red zone. Lombo just seems to have very little feel for making adjustments or taking what the D gives you. Done with the dude.
    Yes
    41.67%
    No
    35.42%
    Maybe
    22.92%
    Last edited by Topcat; 09-17-2022, 06:45 PM.
  • FoutsFan
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Birmingham AL
    • Send PM

Play calling is really holding us back. Some real head scratchers tonight.

He just does not seem to have a feel for the game.

Comment

• SuperCharged
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2019
      • Utah
      • Midnight Toker
      • Send PM

Oh well they are the Top Tier team in NFL and we gave them that win. We can bang with anyone in the NFL. Mini bye. Hope Herbert is ok.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
        Outback Goon
        • Sep 2018
        • Australia
        • Send PM

NO

losing C + RT cost more than any play calling.

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
          NO

Agree loss of two starting linemen hurts, but Lomboball hurt us more...did u notice how all of a sudden Lombo dials up a lot more pass plays when we get behind? Dumb...just open up the O ALL GAME LONG...

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
            Chargers Hall of Fame
            • Sep 2019
            • Send PM

NO

We had them both against the Raiders.

Comment

NO

No. The play calling killed us. We had a chance to double up on the Chiefs at the half and just killed ourselves with ill timed running plays and wasted plays that targeted Palmer.

As I stated before the season began, if Palmer's role increases, the success of the offense will decrease. 12 targets for 35 total yards this season. For Pete's sake, could we please use the more explosive receivers (Guyton and Carter) more?! We had almost zero explosiveness tonight.

Did anybody notice that it was easier to score when we were able to complete some longer passes? Two of the TD drives featured longer passes--one to Williams and one to Carter. And it was easier for KC to score when they completed a long pass. Somewhere in there I am hoping there is a lesson for Lombardi.

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Agree loss of two starting linemen hurts, but Lomboball hurt us more...did u notice how all of a sudden Lombo dials up a lot more pass plays when we get behind? Dumb...just open up the O ALL GAME LONG...
                No kidding.

Comment

• JupiterBolt
                  ~ Charger Fan ~
                  • Sep 2018
                  • Jupiter, FL
                  • Send PM

If he was responsible for Herbert getting banged up, then yes! We moved the ball well all a night. Better than KC. It is an overreaction!

Comment

• BearWithJetpack
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Mar 2019
                    • Send PM

Hard to believe the same guy calling the aggressive plays to start the game was the same clown who flounders when we have a lead. Says to me he can script plays, but has a horrible feel for adjusting to the actual game being played. Which is who he has always been. I don't see any indication that he'll ever get better at it. Not four days ago he talked about how disappointed he was in his Raider game play calling. Well, he did it again. And he will do it in the future because that's just who he is.

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
                      Chargers Hall of Fame
                      • Sep 2019
                      • Send PM

It is sickening, to me. We have Herbert. He's an absolute beast of a QB. Yet, our playbook seems to only dial up plays where the receivers are tightly covered. They don't have plays that have them catch it in some sort of space. Look at half of those Chief plays. Open for 6 yards around them. I do believe a lot of this is design flaws. Problem is, Herbert is so gifted, he can fit the ball into tiny windows quite often. And we all oooh and ahhh. forgetting that it would be better to have some designs with bigger windows.

At least Andy Reid gets creative to get people OPEN.

And then there's the whole turtling up last game. Add to that the ridiculous "trick" plays which absolutely never work. Then, the one that miffed me all night, Lombo doing these no-huddle quick snap plays (think the failed QB sneak last week) that are "designed" to confuse the defense. Instead, you can TELL our guys more confused. And winded. And unready. And he still chose to do it with Linsley and Pipkins out. Huddle up and call a creative play.

I want him gone. But he won't be. Staley is emotionally tied to him (see their history). Add to that, people mistake Herberts ability to overcome the crappy play calling as the same as Lombo being good at this.

Remember, Herbert was good under Anthony Lynn as well.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

No. The play calling killed us. We had a chance to double up on the Chiefs at the half and just killed ourselves with ill timed running plays and wasted plays that targeted Palmer.

As I stated before the season began, if Palmer's role increases, the success of the offense will decrease. 12 targets for 35 total yards this season. For Pete's sake, could we please use the more explosive receivers (Guyton and Carter) more?! We had almost zero explosiveness tonight.

Did anybody notice that it was easier to score when we were able to complete some longer passes? Two of the TD drives featured longer passes--one to Williams and one to Carter. And it was easier for KC to score when they completed a long pass. Somewhere in there I am hoping there is a lesson for Lombardi.
                        Yep...long shots and mid-range routes open up the ground game and short pass game...amazing to me that fans like us can spot what needs to be done, but a supposed expert like Lombo is so oblivious to the obvious...

Comment

Working...
                        X