• Show
Clear All
  • gzubeck
    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
    • Jan 2019
    • Tucson, AZ
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
    I would fire everyone. We lost by three points, on the road, with half an offensive line, without an all pro WR who would have feasted on all the missed 3rd and shorts, had two INTs called back by the refs due to penalty and one on a 50/50 call to a team that plays in the AFC championship almost every year. Heck yeah. Get rid of ALL of them. If we had Sean Peyton (who runs the SAME offense by the way) we would be 9-0 already.

TG
    If this was just one bad game you would be right. There is a track record of continuous inconsistency. Once Norv lost Rivera his coaching acumen was exposed. Basically our talented players are enabling Lombardi to trudge thru things. Put an average QB in the drivers seat and he would be exposed.
    Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• AZBolt
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

He has this right, Lombardis ultra conservative play calling is limiting JH and hurting the Chargers immensiy.......and its Staleys fault he has not done damn thing about it in 19 games......yes, Lombardi is a big dud that turns potential wins into losses........if LOMBARDI can't put together a more aggressive and creative play scheme please get the hell out of town. PLEASE.

Comment

• jamrock
        lawyers, guns and money
        • Sep 2017
        • Send PM

For all his chewing up the kneecaps hyperbole Dan Campbell at least recognized he made a mistake in hiring Lynn as OC and fired him during last season.

Comment

• AZBolt
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Mar 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          We're running short plays because we couldn't possibly protect Herbert on longer ones. I don't know why anyone has a problem with. The only option on a long pass that doesn't have time to develop is to take the sack or throw it away, which means every play is doomed from the start. Lombardi knows that even if most of the world seems to be too stupid. If you cannot block the play, you cannot call it. That is a saying his grandfather had, and it is just as true now as when he coached.

We are running kinda vanilla plays because the offense hasn't been together very much. More than half the players on the field were still in college, were our backups or were on another team last year. We brought in new players and a lot of young players, who got a lot of work in the offseason, but they still haven't worked together much.

Lombardi can't start calling every play in the world and think every players who have hardly played together can execute. They don't have the timing or the adjustments down like clockwork. Anything less than that is disaster waiting to happen.

If all you had to do to be a great offense was call good plays, everyone would do it. But you have to balance what the players can do, with what 11 guys do well, to find who you are as a unit. Oh, and one of the best teams in the league is trying to stop us from doing it at the same time, and they had the better players on the field than we did with Allen, and Lindsay off the field.

Has Colin Cowherd ever even played organized football at any level? He can say what he wants thanks to the 1st amendment, but it doesn't mean he is correct.

We brought in a whole bunch of new players, then had injuries, and the offense is struggling to execute.

Lindsey and Slater were identified as top 70 players in the league......Johnson is a top Guard draft pick that impressively handled Jones in the first half....Feiler was a pro bowl type last year, maybe he has slipped.........No excuse why this group shouldn't be able to pass pro well when reasonably intact and healthy.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
            I would fire everyone. We lost by three points, on the road, with half an offensive line, without an all pro WR who would have feasted on all the missed 3rd and shorts, had two INTs called back by the refs due to penalty and one on a 50/50 call to a team that plays in the AFC championship almost every year. Heck yeah. Get rid of ALL of them. If we had Sean Peyton (who runs the SAME offense by the way) we would be 9-0 already.

TG
            The whole point of my mentioning Payton is that he runs the same offense as Lombardi. The key difference is that he is far superior to Lombardi when it comes to calling plays within that offense.

As with the LV game, the KC game should never have been losable. Lombardi's play calling is causing possessions to grind to a halt. The running game has been overused and used unwisely. There has not been enough of a deep or even intermediate passing attack. And for Pete's sake, could we please stop passing the ball to Palmer? 12 targets for 35 yards is massive fail territory for a WR.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Who are you going to...? EKE or Mike (10 yards down field)...?

The play in question was the failed flea flicker. I certainly never want to see one of our WRs throwing the ball across the field again behind the line of scrimmage. That has pick-6 potential written all over it.

Comment

• AL9000
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2022
                • San Diego, CA
                • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

The whole point of my mentioning Payton is that he runs the same offense as Lombardi. The key difference is that he is far superior to Lombardi when it comes to calling plays within that offense.

As with the LV game, the KC game should never have been losable. Lombardi's play calling is causing possessions to grind to a halt. The running game has been overused and used unwisely. There has not been enough of a deep or even intermediate passing attack. And for Pete's sake, could we please stop passing the ball to Palmer? 12 targets for 35 yards is massive fail territory for a WR.
                Correct. The scheme is NOT the problem, but the person calling the plays from that scheme IS. I mean I guess we could just rely on Herbert to make it work but it bugs the hell out of me knowing we could be dominant with a better play caller who not only understands game situations better, but would know his roster better.

Comment

• AL9000
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2022
                  • San Diego, CA
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

The play in question was the failed flea flicker. I certainly never want to see one of our WRs throwing the ball across the field again behind the line of scrimmage. That has pick-6 potential written all over it.
                  That shit was the dumbest play I think I’ve ever seen.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by AZBolt View Post
                    https://youtu.be/48ZraTj6l8g

He has this right, Lombardis ultra conservative play calling is limiting JH and hurting the Chargers immensiy.......and its Staleys fault he has not done damn thing about it in 19 games......yes, Lombardi is a big dud that turns potential wins into losses........if LOMBARDI can't put together a more aggressive and creative play scheme please get the hell out of town. PLEASE.
                    Colin also pointed out how in the box score, the Bolts dominated, but somehow, the Chefs still won. He also said the Bolts offense is very predictable, that Herbie only had two passes longer than 17 yards, and a whopping 15 passes behind the LOS. Classic Lomboball. Total misuse of Herbie's talents.

It's the Charger Way...

colin herd.JPG

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by AL9000 View Post

That shit was the dumbest play I think I’ve ever seen.
                      The Bolts ran some pretty crappy gadget plays that failed last season also...just ditch that crap already, and let Herbie sling the rock downfield, preferably longer and more often than the only two passes longer than 17 yards in the Chefs game...

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
                        For all his chewing up the kneecaps hyperbole Dan Campbell at least recognized he made a mistake in hiring Lynn as OC and fired him during last season.
                        If TT wants to save this season, he'll give Lombo his walking papers tomorrow...

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                          Moderate Skeptic
                          • May 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by AL9000 View Post

Correct. The scheme is NOT the problem, but the person calling the plays from that scheme IS. I mean I guess we could just rely on Herbert to make it work but it bugs the hell out of me knowing we could be dominant with a better play caller who not only understands game situations better, but would know his roster better.
                          It's possible that we may be looking at Lombardi's play calling from the wrong point of view; All plays have options, alternate receivers, RPO's, etc, and there's always the option to check to another play entirely. It's on the QB to pick the right guy to get the ball to, or check out of a bad play if necessary. Herbert may not yet feel like he can make changes of that nature (checking out of plays at least). I also think he's been 'programmed' by Lombardi to be a bit too careful with the ball and avoid turnovers (hence all of the short / safe passes). That's definitely on the coaching staff - It's time to take the training wheels off . . . .

The problem is probably a combination of a number of factors, but there's no doubt that we are too predictable and conservative.

Comment

Working...
                          X