Clear All
  • 21&500
    Bolt Spit-Baller
    • Sep 2018
    • A Whale's Vajayjay
    • CMB refugee
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
    We're running short plays because we couldn't possibly protect Herbert on longer ones. I don't know why anyone has a problem with. The only option on a long pass that doesn't have time to develop is to take the sack or throw it away, which means every play is doomed from the start. Lombardi knows that even if most of the world seems to be too stupid. If you cannot block the play, you cannot call it. That is a saying his grandfather had, and it is just as true now as when he coached.

We are running kinda vanilla plays because the offense hasn't been together very much. More than half the players on the field were still in college, were our backups or were on another team last year. We brought in new players and a lot of young players, who got a lot of work in the offseason, but they still haven't worked together much.

Lombardi can't start calling every play in the world and think every players who have hardly played together can execute. They don't have the timing or the adjustments down like clockwork. Anything less than that is disaster waiting to happen.

If all you had to do to be a great offense was call good plays, everyone would do it. But you have to balance what the players can do, with what 11 guys do well, to find who you are as a unit. Oh, and one of the best teams in the league is trying to stop us from doing it at the same time, and they had the better players on the field than we did with Allen, and Lindsay off the field.

Has Colin Cowherd ever even played organized football at any level? He can say what he wants thanks to the 1st amendment, but it doesn't mean he is correct.

We brought in a whole bunch of new players, then had injuries, and the offense is struggling to execute.
    So the oline in 2020 was that much better than our current oline?
    I get defenses were playing Herbert differently, but it jist doesn't add up when you consider what Herbert was able to do his rookie season with no offseason behind the 30th ranked online, compared to his 3rd season, with a significantly better oline.

These are all just excuses for the constant, which are several identified issues directly a result of poor coordination of the offense.

If everything was perfect, perhaps we could mask Lombardi's deficiencies, but thats impossible and not the point of having a good OC to begin with.
    hell, why bother having a good head coach if we can just have perfect health and superior talent all the time.
    Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• captaind
      Cook This Pork Chops
      • Jun 2013
      • Mars
      • Ball Holder
      • Send PM

Originally posted by AL9000 View Post

That shit was the dumbest play I think I’ve ever seen.
      You must be new to football.

The Dumbest, Worst Plays in NFL History - YouTube

Comment

• AL9000
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2022
        • San Diego, CA
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

The Bolts ran some pretty crappy gadget plays that failed last season also...just ditch that crap already, and let Herbie sling the rock downfield, preferably longer and more often than the only two passes longer than 17 yards in the Chefs game...
        We have the perfect roster to do that too. Keenan and Mike are king of the medium to deep routes, our OL is super solid in pass protection and Herbert has arguably the best arm talent in the NFL. I can't stand coaches who have been so stuck in their ways that they cannot fathom adapting to the skillsets and style of talent they have on the team.

Comment

• Charge!
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Aug 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
          NO

losing C + RT cost more than any play calling.
          that is what allowed Jones to dominate

Comment

• Charge!
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Aug 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by AL9000 View Post

We have the perfect roster to do that too. Keenan and Mike are king of the medium to deep routes, our OL is super solid in pass protection and Herbert has arguably the best arm talent in the NFL. I can't stand coaches who have been so stuck in their ways that they cannot fathom adapting to the skillsets and style of talent they have on the team.
            Against the raiders we allowed no sacks but there were alot of pressures and Herbert's athleticism is a huge reason why there were no sacks...... our OL is good but not great yet....

Comment

• MagicMamba88
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2019
              • Send PM

Comment

• SuperCharged
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2019
                • Utah
                • Midnight Toker
                • Send PM

I still think we need to take advantage of Herberts mobility. I would love to see more roll outs or RPO's. The offense seems to be "restricted".

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                  Outback Goon
                  • Sep 2018
                  • Australia
                  • Send PM

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

I wonder if we will have a 2023 version of this thread when Staley scoffs at the idea of replacing him and brings him back... What am I thinking? Of course we will!

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Its noticeable to the average observer that the Chargers are locked into the 1- 5 yard range when passing the football:
                      and these routes aren't setting up yac.

It was noticeable starting out the season in the 1rst quarter against Oakland.

This was the criticism against Lombo in Detroit.....particularly in his 2nd season there.
                      He didn't make it through that season.

Not criticizing Lombo for the 2nd half against K.C. ...with no functioning center (although he's responsible for bringing in Clapp).

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

With their talent, I think this should be a top 3 scoring offense.

Coming up big in crunch time is more important.
                        Running up 50 points against Jacksonville, not so much.

Comment

• Boltx
                          Dominate the day
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                          I wonder if we will have a 2023 version of this thread when Staley scoffs at the idea of replacing him and brings him back... What am I thinking? Of course we will!
                          I can all but promise you we will look back and wish we had moved on from him sooner. I worry that this becomes a wasted year because of Herbert's injury and they give Lombo ANOTHER chance because of it.
                          ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

Working...
                          X