Clear All
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

“Overly cautious” in week 3.

“too conservative” in week 2.

You can spin it your way but I’m not twisting his words.
    You are interpreting Joe's words.
    I see his words today as mere kibble,
    before he has a chance to be "just right" vs the Texans.
    Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.
    Ben Herbert

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Again, what Johnson does for other teams is totally irrelevant to how he works with Herbert as his QB. That is obvious and yet deliberately ignored in your take.

He literally produced the highest passer rating when targeted of any qualifying receiver in the entire league when paired with Herbert. That is more than nice. That is excellence in his limited role. There was nothing off about that.

What is off is your entire take.
      Agree with the bold.

People here may be too young to remember how badly John Jefferson did on the Packers.

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Again, what Johnson does for other teams is totally irrelevant to how he works with Herbert as his QB. That is obvious and yet deliberately ignored in your take.

He literally produced the highest passer rating when targeted of any qualifying receiver in the entire league when paired with Herbert. That is more than nice. That is excellence in his limited role. There was nothing off about that.

What is off is your entire take.
        So tell me why, despite all this great work with Herbert, did they cut him? To deliberately cripple the team? To punish Herbert? To piss off enlightened fans like you? Or may, just maybe, there is something off with him. There were rumors of crappy attitude and suspect work ethic. Don't know if it is true or not, but certainly would explain why he is on his seventh team. Seven. With his 22 career receptions, that is slightly more than 3 receptions for each time he was cut. Think about that...

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

He stated that he did a "poor" job in 2 of the 3 games.

I was surprised at how timid the Charger O came out in the opening few series against Oakland.

A successful O.C. owes his success to reconsidering what is not working.
          Vs Jags, Michel runs were working. Eight and six yards. First and ten. A different package was changed out. One that is "more aggressive" in most fans way of thinking.

One bullshit trick play. One additional incompletion. Strip sack turnover on third and ten.

So sure. But what exactly is not working ?

Too many Charger fans are blinded by displeasure with Joe. He had to say something.
          Ben Herbert

Comment

• 21&500
            Bolt Spit-Baller
            • Sep 2018
            • A Whale's Vajayjay
            • CMB refugee
            • Send PM

Horse's
            Mouth
            Discussion
            Over
            Check
            Mate
            El
            Fin
            Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• jamrock
              lawyers, guns and money
              • Sep 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Vs Jags, Michel runs were working. Eight and six yards. First and ten. A different package was changed out. One that is "more aggressive" in most fans way of thinking.

One bullshit trick play. One additional incompletion. Strip sack turnover on third and ten.

So sure. But what exactly is not working ?

Too many Charger fans are blinded by displeasure with Joe. He had to say something.
              If they pounded the ball all game I would have been happy. You can look it up in the pregame thread. I said this is the game to run the ball and play defense. We did neither

Comment

• Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Agree, No! Bunch of poppycock using what ifs and stats that don't matter.
                Chain would be a perfect PFF guy , coming up with stats with how they came up with them are meaningless.

TBilly had a higher average per reception because all he ran was longer routes.....one was a lucky Hail Mary he came up with and let's use the reason CC used for Palmers 45 yard reception......blown coverage.....and if not for that ........blah,blah ,blah.

He didn't get WR screens or quick outs. And now he isn't getting any balls thrown to him from the bench.
                Nobody has discussed yards per reception in this thread. I mentioned yards per target. If a player is getting all of his yards because of longer passes as you postulate, then a lower completion percentage on presumably lower percentage longer passes should offset the yards per reception. I also mentioned the league leading passer rating Johnson produced when targeted.

However, Palmer was so inept in 2021 when compared to Johnson in 2020, that Johnson actually had a much higher reception percentage per target than Palmer did (79.6% versus 67.3%) even though he was running lower completion percentage type routes than Palmer was. That represents a demonstration of the vast superiority of one receiver over another. You can keep pretending that those stats and the others I have cited are meaningless, but the stats show that Johnson was excellent for us in a limited role and Palmer has pretty much sucked for us by comparison. That is not even a discussion. That is how it is.

But hey, I totally get why you would want to ignore the statistical truth since it completely refutes your position.

And it figures that you would want to ignore why plays happened such as Palmer's 45-yard reception. Feel free to pat Palmer on the back for that, but anyone could see that was a blown play by the safety that gave Palmer at least 35 of those 45 yards. It was nothing that Palmer did.

Quite to the contrary, Johnson body positioned himself perfectly among multiple defenders and fought through them to make a reception on the Hail Mary against Buffalo. That was actually a very impressive play by Johnson, the exact opposite of a fluke run after the catch by Palmer that was 100% caused by a terrible mistake by an opposing defender. The two plays could not be more different in that respect.

Comment

• Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                  So, I see now. Lombardi's comments about "being overly cautious in playcalling", were in the context of Herbert's injury.

This is quite different than a narrative that Lombardi is "admitting" he is generally not aggressive enough.
                  That is excuse making. The reality is that he has admitted that his play calling was bad in both games. It was terrible against KC also, but he has not admitted to that yet.

Comment

• jamrock
                    lawyers, guns and money
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

You are interpreting Joe's words.
                    I see his words today as mere kibble,
                    before he has a chance to be "just right" vs the Texans.
                    let me know when the ayahuasca wears off

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Joe is not a Friend of Bill W.
                      Nor am I.
                      Ben Herbert

Comment

• Boltjolt
                        Dont let the PBs fool ya
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Henderson, NV
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Frankly, that's nice to hear.

What i don't want to hear is the old 'we need to execute better" song and dance.
                        According to Wu who also listened to it, he said neither.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Agree with the bold.

People here may be too young to remember how badly John Jefferson did on the Packers.
                          Rivers made a lot of mediocre WRs look good. Quite a bit of them.
                          Patrick Crayton, Kelly Washington, Tutu, Inman, Legadu Nanee, .....im sure im missing some and we didnt keep all those guys either,..... and some did nothing elsewhere.

I realize this kinda helps the point but bottom line is for some reason, the staff wasn't smittin with TBilly and WRs are a dime a dozen in this league now. There are some fast rookie receivers on PS's now we could of plucked that many here liked in the draft.

Comment

Working...
                          X