• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BayAreaBoltz
    Chargers Hall of Fame
    • Sep 2019
    • Send PM

And for those who think it's all about continuity, why did we fire the special teams coach from last year? One season? That loss should wreak HAVOC in the minds of some of our posters.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by BayAreaBoltz View Post

OR just hire a good one.

Lombo was never promoted to the gig under Peyton. Think about that. Crazy. And the one time Lombo WAS an OC, he was a disaster. It's there for all to se.

This isn't too terribly difficult to figure out. Some of us saw the writing on the wall BEFORE last season. It was and is Staley's love for his former coach that he brought Lombo over and keeps him here now. Of course. And it's why he won't let him go.

The usual rebuttal is something about a Top-5 offense. Bottom line, it's Herbert. It's always Herbert. Heck, Herbert was phenomenal under Anthony Lynn, who was a run-first, don't play the rookie, coach. And Herbert made THAT work.

I'm starting to think that these people on here who complain when other point out something negative about the Chargers are simply trying to gaslight us into not believing what we're seeing with our own eyes. Either that, or they love these forums because they can complain about posters and less about football. It's so odd.
      Payton called the plays and they had an OC who pretty much did what Bieniemi does. Whats to think about? Nobody is banging down Bieniemi's door to be their OC or HC.

This is Payton's OC, Pete Carmicheal. His first season calling plays is this season so we'll see how he does.
      Last edited by Boltjolt; 09-23-2022, 04:31 PM.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Payton called the plays and they had an OC who pretty much did what Biemiemi does. Whats to think about? Nobody is banging down Biemiemi's door to be their OC or HC.

This is Payton's OC, Pete Carmicheals first season calling plays so we'll see how he does.
        Hmmm.
        Jameis regressing.
        You don't know ball

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

OR just hire a good one.

Lombo was never promoted to the gig under Peyton. Think about that. Crazy. And the one time Lombo WAS an OC, he was a disaster. It's there for all to se.

This isn't too terribly difficult to figure out. Some of us saw the writing on the wall BEFORE last season. It was and is Staley's love for his former coach that he brought Lombo over and keeps him here now. Of course. And it's why he won't let him go.

The usual rebuttal is something about a Top-5 offense. Bottom line, it's Herbert. It's always Herbert. Heck, Herbert was phenomenal under Anthony Lynn, who was a run-first, don't play the rookie, coach. And Herbert made THAT work.

I'm starting to think that these people on here who complain when other point out something negative about the Chargers are simply trying to gaslight us into not believing what we're seeing with our own eyes. Either that, or they love these forums because they can complain about posters and less about football. It's so odd.
          Very good points, Bay. Herbie masks a lot of Lombo's deficiencies...fire him now, before he costs us a few trap game losses and we miss the playoffs again...

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Herbert has options on every play.

Safer plays are a natural component of improved plus--minus ratio.

Two more games and it will be time to reassess at the quarter of the season mark.
            You don't know ball

Comment

• 21&500
              Bolt Spit-Baller
              • Sep 2018
              • A Whale's Vajayjay
              • CMB refugee
              • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
              Herbert has options on every play.

Safer plays are a natural component of improved plus--minus ratio.

Two more games and it will be time to reassess at the quarter of the season mark.
              Boring.
              but fair.
              :sigh:
              .005 Brock Bowers, TE/HB/SR Georgia
              .037 Braden Fiske, DT Florida St.
              .069 Mike Sainristil, CB Michigan
              .105 Brenden Rice, WR USC
              .110 Mason McCormick, OG/OC S. Dakota St.
              .140 Zak Zinter, OG Michigan
              .181 Nehemiah Pritchett, CB Auburn
              .225 Ainias Smith, WR Texas A&M
              .253 Carson Steele, RB UCLA

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
                Chargers Hall of Fame
                • Sep 2019
                • Send PM

Payton called the plays and they had an OC who pretty much did what Bieniemi does. Whats to think about? Nobody is banging down Bieniemi's door to be their OC or HC.
                So if the OC job was so easy in New Orleans (and I'm not disagreeing), why wouldn't they give the job to Lombo? OC is clearly the higher title on a resume. He spent a lot of years there sort of stagnant in terms of position.

The more telling point I made, though, was his time in Detroit. As an OC.

I didn't want the guy then and I sure as hell hope we move on from him after this year.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

So if the OC job was so easy in New Orleans (and I'm not disagreeing), why wouldn't they give the job to Lombo? OC is clearly the higher title on a resume. He spent a lot of years there sort of stagnant in terms of position.

The more telling point I made, though, was his time in Detroit. As an OC.

I didn't want the guy then and I sure as hell hope we move on from him after this year.
                  I dont understand why you think he should of got the OC job there. Pete Carmicheal has been the OC there since 2009 though he didn't call the plays...til this year.
                  After the Saints successes, he, like Bieniemi haven't gotten any HCs offers likely because they don't call the plays and are more like assistants to the guy that does.

Dennis Allen who was their DC is now their head coach and he retained most everyone while Lombardi, not being a coordinator got offered the OC for us...which is a higher title like you said.

Lombardi's time in Deteoit was 8 years ago. You think a guy would learn a thing or two in that time? I'm guessing you would say no.

However, I wasn't over the moon when they hired him either for the position but i don't think he is doing a bad job. For me he can open things up a little to keep defenses more on their toes but that's about it.

He did get the opportunity to learn from one of the best in Payton.....since his time in Detroit.

Comment

• electricgold
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2020
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by FoutsFan View Post
                    Play calling is really holding us back. Some real head scratchers tonight.

He just does not seem to have a feel for the game.
                    Let's look at this a different way, was Herbert more effective and the O better his rookie season with Shane Steichen calling the plays, or is Herbert more efficient now with this OC?

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

I dont understand why you think he should of got the OC job there. Pete Carmicheal has been the OC there since 2009 though he didn't call the plays...til this year.
                      After the Saints successes, he, like Bieniemi haven't gotten any HCs offers likely because they don't call the plays and are more like assistants to the guy that does.

Dennis Allen who was their DC is now their head coach and he retained most everyone while Lombardi, not being a coordinator got offered the OC for us...which is a higher title like you said.

Lombardi's time in Deteoit was 8 years ago. You think a guy would learn a thing or two in that time? I'm guessing you would say no.

However, I wasn't over the moon when they hired him either for the position but i don't think he is doing a bad job. For me he can open things up a little to keep defenses more on their toes but that's about it.

He did get the opportunity to learn from one of the best in Payton.....since his time in Detroit.
                      We will see; we have two shining reference points in the AFC west that will put it to a test.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

Let's look at this a different way, was Herbert more effective and the O better his rookie season with Shane Steichen calling the plays, or is Herbert more efficient now with this OC?
                        Hard to say! both ran into tough shoals against New England and a few other teams.

Lombo should have the better version of Herbert and the difference between offensive lines is night vs day.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2021
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post

Experience should tip the scales so the expectation is Herbert would be improving each year. Then the players surrounding Herbert have to be considered from season to season. With ever improving OL, you would expect improvement.

But this is about Lombardi. What’s disturbing is the offense seems to roll the first half and stall in the second half.

Lombardi admitted that in one of the games he purposely played too conservatively in the 2nd half and it was a mistake.

Then the same dichotomy between the 1st and 2nd half happened again in the next game.

Why is this? Does it mean if Lombardi has a week to prepare against a defense he can call a good offense for a half but like ignoring Everetts signal to come out of the game Lombardi is poor at making in game adjustments?

The better OC’s observe the opposing defense and figure out how to exploit it as the game progresses. The opposite is happening with Lombardi.

Lombardi apologists say it’s the injuries.

It’s only two games into the season. Let’s see if this continues to be the case or the offense can improve in the 2nd half of games.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍