• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Attack
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

For heaven's sake, they've been without WR1 and WR2 for most/good portions of the season. They've been without Edge1, CB1, and OT1 for almost the whole season.
    Linsley, Palmer, Everett have all missed games, too. Did you expect to be 7-3 or 8-2 with Bandy, Storm, Fehoko, Richard Rogers, Clapp, and Jason Moore starting....?

You're about to tell me, "but every team has starters out". But not every team has multiple starters out multiple games. If you can identify the team, you can also see their record is much worse than 5-5. Once starters start coming back... you'll see.

The only real concern for me is the run defense. Austin Johnson and Covington will not be back by playoffs. And the LB's are not playing their run assignments well. Adderly is an atrrocious tackler. Certain players are Gusly Guys and need to acclimate to Staley's defense. Tranquill and Adderly are free agents at season's end... we need better replacements for them via draft or FA.
    If I was told before the season started that the team would be hit with the frequency and severity of injuries that have occurred so far, and they could finish with a 10-7 record, I would have said 'no way'. I don't watch the All-22 film, but am curious to know how often Lombardi is dialing up mid to deep patterns and if WRs are open, and if Herbo is choosing to throw to the checkdown instead or if Herbo is forced to throw to the checkdown due to being under pressure.

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Attack View Post

If I was told before the season started that the team would be hit with the frequency and severity of injuries that have occurred so far, and they could finish with a 10-7 record, I would have said 'no way'. I don't watch the All-22 film, but am curious to know how often Lombardi is dialing up mid to deep patterns and if WRs are open, and if Herbo is choosing to throw to the checkdown instead or if Herbo is forced to throw to the checkdown due to being under pressure.
      Let me remind you that to get to 10 - 7, they need to go 5 - 2 the rest of the way. They could easily (and more likely) go 7 - 10.

Then, you would have to type: if i was told that, with their 3rd place schedule and a franchise qb, the frequency and severity of their injuries made 7 - 10 an acceptable record,
      I would have said 'no way.'

Comment

• Attack
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Let me remind you that to get to 10 - 7, they need to go 5 - 2 the rest of the way. They could easily (and more likely) go 7 - 10.

Then, you would have to type: if i was told that, with their 3rd place schedule and a franchise qb, the frequency and severity of their injuries made 7 - 10 an acceptable record,
        I would have said 'no way.'
        Incorrect. I wouldn't say that. A 7-10 record would be a disappointment.

Seems like you're not putting much weight into the franchise QB being injured for at least 6 weeks (he still may not be 100%, but looks to be back to himself the past 2 weeks). Even injured, he's 100x better than Daniel, so would rather he played, if able.

I choose not to be doom and gloom. You're seeing a 2-5 finish more likely. We disagree there.

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

This is a very good point. I have seen some circumstances where JH has missed seeing an open intermediate route... or even hit his outlet before the intermediate route developed. I'm sure the cracked rib cartilage has played into that. The last couple games (SF and KC) he let those long pass patterns develop and hit some big gainers.

In the end, good QB's take what the defense gives them. 4 or 5 yard completions aren't the end of the world. I think we've been in 3rd-and-short situations a lot more this year. I love those situations. Defenses have to play honest.

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Somebody broke down one of our games earlier this year (can’t remember which one) where 70% of the pass plays Herbert looked downfield and either nobody was open or the protection was breaking down and he had to check down. Exact opposite of this notion that Lombardi calls these short dink and dunk pass calls all game long.

Comment

• Boltgang74
              We Are The Storm!
              • Aug 2018
              • Send PM

Some OCs have the ability to scheme their players open.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltgang74 View Post
                Yep, and having the players to do so sure helps.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Yep, and having the players to do so sure helps.
                  Yes, who do you trust more in zone to find the open area....Keenan or Bandy? lol.

Comment

• Boltgang74
                    We Are The Storm!
                    • Aug 2018
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Yes, who do you trust more in zone to find the open area....Keenan or Bandy? lol.
                    Which matters more to winning,coaching or players?

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Which matters more to winning,coaching or players?
                      Coaching...a good coach can coach up a marginally talented team to a winning record...with a few breaks, to the playoffs and maybe beyond...on the other hand, a talented team with a crappy coach will go nowhere...

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2020
                        • Send PM

I wish someone would define what is "open". Relative to other QBs and WRs, our receivers for the most part are open. If Lombardi's definition of an open receiver is a 5 to 10 yard cushion from a defender, you aren't likely to find very many of these opportunities down field. You can scheme some reads open in this fashion for specific downs, but it's impossible to do that throughout an entire game. Even above average or top end WRs are draped by a defender or or boxed by two in most of their snaps, yet they still get their targets in those situations more often than not. What I see is that this coaching staff has coached into Herbert an unnecessary level of risk aversion, where now he's questioning his accuracy in tight window throws and checking it down behind or close to the line of scrimmage because he's looking for that safety cushion to minimize risk. If we want to play this way offensively, there isn't a need for a Herbert as your QB - you may as well plug and play Baker Mayfield into this offense, or start Chase Daniel.

I mean, I understand why a coach would want to run an efficiency based offense such as this, as it allows for slower, methodical drives predicated on 3rd down conversions, thus allowing your defense to rest and your offense to control time of possession while minimizing mistakes. Unfortunately, since this offense lives or dies on 3rd down situations, if it fails, your gameplan is flipped on its head, and now your defense is taking more snaps then the offense thus tiring them out sooner, and your offense loses all semblance of momentum. That's not to mention that this offense does absolutely nothing to utilize Herbert's unique talents.
                        Last edited by jaguarmanftype; 11-24-2022, 11:09 PM.

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Coaching...a good coach can coach up a marginally talented team to a winning record...with a few breaks, to the playoffs and maybe beyond...on the other hand, a talented team with a crappy coach will go nowhere...
                          Bill Belichick respectfully disagrees with this.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍