• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

If you could walk into week 11 vs the Chiefs with a 4-5 or 5-4 record... and a healthy Herbert... would you do it?

Week 3: JAX: a winnable game, even with Daniel. W (2-1)
    Week 4: @HOU: another winnable game with Daniel. L (2-2)
    Week 5: @CLE: winnable. L (2-3) Week 6: Den: winnable. L (2-4)
    Week 7: Sea: more than winnable. W (3-4)
    Week 8: Bye
    Week 9: @ATL. Herbert now has 6 weeks rest. W (4-4)
    Week 10 @SF. I'd actually sit Herbert against SF defense. We'd still win. W (5-4)

Staley has preached being physical. The defense certainly has been. The jury is no longer out on the defense. This defense would punish most of these pedestrian offenses. You want to be physical on offense...? Run the damn ball more! This offensive line could be physical. This RB position is deep... and can catch the ball in an already dink-and-dunk scheme.

Quietly, Joshua Kelley has a 5.4 ypc average this year... and Spiller hasn't even touched the ball yet.
    Practice what you preach, Brandon. It's time to get physical. Lean on your OL and RB's.
    The goal is to have Herbert healthy come playoff time. Give him his best shot @revenge Week 11.

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
      If you could walk into week 11 vs the Chiefs with a 4-5 or 5-4 record... and a healthy Herbert... would you do it?

Week 3: JAX: a winnable game, even with Daniel. W (2-1)
      Week 4: @HOU: another winnable game with Daniel. L (2-2)
      Week 5: @CLE: winnable. L (2-3) Week 6: Den: winnable. L (2-4)
      Week 7: Sea: more than winnable. W (3-4)
      Week 8: Bye
      Week 9: @ATL. Herbert now has 6 weeks rest. W (4-4)
      Week 10 @SF. I'd actually sit Herbert against SF defense. We'd still win. W (5-4)

Staley has preached being physical. The defense certainly has been. The jury is no longer out on the defense. This defense would punish most of these pedestrian offenses. You want to be physical on offense...? Run the damn ball more! This offensive line could be physical. This RB position is deep... and can catch the ball in an already dink-and-dunk scheme.

Quietly, Joshua Kelley has a 5.4 ypc average this year... and Spiller hasn't even touched the ball yet.
      Practice what you preach, Brandon. It's time to get physical. Lean on your OL and RB's.
      The goal is to have Herbert healthy come playoff time. Give him his best shot @revenge Week 11.
      Herbert's current injury is not going to prevent him from playing. QBs play with that kind of injury all the time and are fine. Philip Rivers played with it. It's a very common injury to NFL QBs. Don't sweat it.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
        Beef Before Gazelles
        • May 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
        PROFOOTBALLDOC: JUSTIN HERBERT MAY BE “OK”BUT RIB CARTILAGE INJURIES LINGER

by DR. DAVID CHAOabout 7 hours ago

Everyone saw how much pain Justin Herbert was in. So much so, that he turned down a chance to walk to a first down on a key third and one. His head coach said he was “OK”, but there was no media availability for the tough as nails quarterback.

By video, Herbert appears to have a rib cartilage injury and those tend to linger longer than even a rib fracture.

X-rays were taken post game but there was no report of findings. But expect it to be negative, as rib cartilage injuries do not show up on that. OutKicks’ own Armando Seguro reported that an MRI is pending.

One can see where he was hurting, and it is in the lower rib cartilage area.

Signs are Good for Justin Hebert

This is good news as no fracture and little risk of a punctured lung as evidenced by his flying back to Los Angeles with the team. Based on two decades of NFL team physician experience, I doubt spleen or internal organ damage.

Rib cartilage takes longer to heal due to poor blood supply. It is very painful because of the attached intercostal, oblique and abdominal muscle. One has to twist the torso to throw and that can be quite painful.

Rib fractures are most painful in the first 2-4 weeks. Cartilage injuries can linger longer for 4-6 weeks or more.

I am not suggesting that Herbert will miss games. I am stating that it will effect his practice time. Even with 10 days before the next game, this will be a pain management issue in practice.

Based on his toughness, one does not expect Herbert to miss game time. Of course he can have a rib intercostal block injection to numb the pain on game day. The question is whether he chooses to have it given the local history.

Rib Block Injections are not perfect

Ironically, Herbert’s career was jump started early his rookie season by a rib block injection to starter Tyrod Taylor gone awry. There are ways to safely perform this intercostal nerve block. Philip Rivers had multiple occasions to need these for rib fractures in my NFL tenure and it helped him with his record ironman streak.

Indeed, Herbert will be OK, but the rib cartilage injury will be a management issue for the young star and team.
        As I posted earlier, I'm a guy who's had torn rib cartilage.

Disclaimers: I'm no pro athlete, and I was 42 years old at the time of the incident.

I tore the cartilage between the ribs on my left side. Hurt like crazy for several weeks. Still hurt 3 months later, but nowhere near as bad. Could still 'feel' it after 7 months.

Herb is young, super fit, and has every treatment that modern medicine has to offer at his disposal, so if he has the same type of injury that *eye* had? His recovery arc will undoubtedly be faster.

But I'd still say it's probably a bad idea to expose him to NFL action for three weeks.

You may not agree with me, but that's what my experience would suggest.

Comment

• Boltx
          Dominate the day
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

As I posted earlier, I'm a guy who's had torn rib cartilage.

Disclaimers: I'm no pro athlete, and I was 42 years old at the time of the incident.

I tore the cartilage between the ribs on my left side. Hurt like crazy for several weeks. Still hurt 3 months later, but nowhere near as bad. Could still 'feel' it after 7 months.

Herb is young, super fit, and has every treatment that modern medicine has to offer at his disposal, so if he has the same type of injury that *eye* had? His recovery arc will undoubtedly be faster.

But I'd still say it's probably a bad idea to expose him to NFL action for three weeks.

You may not agree with me, but that's what my experience would suggest.
          A 4-6 week period of rest would be reasonable, to allow for SOME healing and to allow him to perform better when he does return. But this franchise is so desperate to be a fringe playoff contender that they will rush him back and put him at unnecessary risk. Hopefully the OL bands together to prevent him from even taking a single hit but he has a huge bullseye on him now.

If this defense is legit, and we think it is, we can weather 4-6 weeks. Don't put this kid's career in jeopardy.
          ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Herbert's current injury is not going to prevent him from playing. QBs play with that kind of injury all the time and are fine. Philip Rivers played with it. It's a very common injury to NFL QBs. Don't sweat it.
            I'm going with The Doc on this one. Herbert's condition will only get worse with every hit he takes.
            I think it's time to lean on the defense, OL, and RB's.
            I'm thinking about 18 more games... not 1 or 2.

Comment

• Boltx
              Dominate the day
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

With all due respect this is flat out wrong. Have QBs played with this type of injury before? Yes. With a flak jacket and injections. And many more have missed significant playing time because of it. But to say it's a "very common" injury is grossly mischaracterizing it.

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I'm going with The Doc on this one. Herbert's condition will only get worse with every hit he takes.
                I think it's time to lean on the defense, OL, and RB's.
                I'm thinking about 18 more games... not 1 or 2.
                1 out 3 ain’t bad. The OL is why we’re in this predicament and we’re one of the worst running teams in the NFL

Comment

• Boltx
                  Dominate the day
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

1 out 3 ain’t bad. The OL is why we’re in this predicament and we’re one of the worst running teams in the NFL
                  THe OL, when healthy, is great.

And I would be curious to see how the running game would fare if we committed to Kelley/Spiller with Ek more as the 3rd down/change of pace guy. I think the running game would surprise.

Comment

• jamrock
                    lawyers, guns and money
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

THe OL, when healthy, is great.

And I would be curious to see how the running game would fare if we committed to Kelley/Spiller with Ek more as the 3rd down/change of pace guy. I think the running game would surprise.
                    They were healthy for 6 quarters so far and we haven’t been able to run the ball.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Duck of Death View Post
                      I’ll have to reconfirm, but I actually thought the subs did a fair job in pass pro, all things considered. I believe it was Zion who whiffed, allowing his man to take a free runaway shot on Herb’s ribs. And I’m pretty sure Chris Jones is still picking bits of Matt Feiler out of his teeth.
                      The tone of pressure changed the instant they moved jones from Zion to Feiler. When Pip went out the double whammy became too often too difficult to contain. I said last year I didn’t think Feiler was very good, and often scoffed at the right side continuity argument.

I’ll say it again. Feiler ain’t that good at OG. Get Salyer ready for the second half.
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

They were healthy for 6 quarters so far and we haven’t been able to run the ball.
                        The football season isn't 6 quarters long.

Comment

• Xenos
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Here’s another more optimistic opinion.

Thought it was a cartilage injury, made too much sense on how things went down last night.

So the "cartilage fracture" is really important, because it means the bones aren't fractured. If the bone is fractured and it's displaced, then he can't play for sure until it's healed, up to 6 weeks - but that's less likely. If the bone fracture is non-displaced, then there's a much shorter timeline. That was possible.

But if this a pure fracture of the cartilage only - then it's ALL about pain tolerance. There's no risk of lung puncture, etc. And yes, it can take 6-8 weeks, or even 3 months, before a player says it feels normal. But the time to return can be as little as 7-10 days. It's all about pain tolerance. But it's not all good news - it hurts just to breathe - because the cartilage moves with every breath. That's what we saw last night, why I mentioned that it looked that way. So this is something he's going to have to manage for weeks and likely months. He can definitely play once the pain is manageable, but how long it takes is the Q mark.

Expect rest for now, and then anti-inflammatory meds like crazy (and the strongest ones used on game day - Ketorolac (Toradol)), and a nerve block used to dull the pain sensation (and not just on game day, but to help him recover, and even light exercise/return to practice). Players have come back in as little as 1 week, while others it takes 2-3 weeks. But this will linger for 2-3 months on average - and yes, he can likely play at a high level through most of this.

I would, however suggest maybe the Chargers find a different doc than the one who did Tyrod Taylor's nerve block in 2020. Kinda ironic we're coming back full circle on this - that’s what started Herbert’s career as a starting QB.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍