• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kellyb72601
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2019
    • Send PM

Kurt Warner talking about Herbert & Lombardi's offense

This tape is as much about Justin Herbert and how special he is, as it is about teaching and looking at certain aspects of the game where he, and anybody els...

Good video
  • Bolts&noles
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

I also watched that.
    It gives a good breakdown of things.
    It also kinda shows how vanilla the offense is.
    Iam not a huge fan of the option routes either.

Comment

• Kellyb72601
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2019
      • Send PM

It seems it was kinda Warner's way of criticizing the offense without criticizing the offense.

Comment

• 21&500
        Bolt Spit-Baller
        • Sep 2018
        • A Whale's Vajayjay
        • CMB refugee
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post
        It seems it was kinda Warner's way of criticizing the offense without criticizing the offense.
        Agreed.
        He's a pro.
        Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• Bolts&noles
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post
          Right he called it "learning lessons".
          Not sure what's gonna happen with Herbert but the offense should start jelling hopefully.
          Third week,10 days off.Probably in a lot better game shape.

Comment

What I saw was a lot of short routes run right into rolled up defenses with at least 9 guys within 7 yards of the line of scrimmage and the safeties not playing very deep either with Herbert beating tight coverage with great throws into tight windows. IMO, the routes are very poorly designed in terms of creating separation through route combination, which resulted in multiple instances in which one defender could actually provide at least some coverage on two different receivers. I saw RBs being asked to block in the middle of the line and then leak out to the sideline, guaranteeing that they would never be available as receivers, especially in the realm of Charger football where all of the receivers are running short patterns. It seems like Lombardi has no idea what clearing out an area of the field means as the combination routes failed to create space most of the time. The "everyone runs short" plays simply sucked.

On the crossing pattern on which Palmer was open on the deep pass to Williams because the defender played outside leverage and gave Palmer the inside with no help to the inside (i.e., free wide open receiver), I would simply point out that crossing patterns like that have a chance to go for TDs if Lombardi could simply make the adjustment of having Guyton and not Palmer or Allen running the crossing route. Why Lombardi repeatedly refuses to use speed to run away from coverage (see Hill, Tyreek) on deeper crossing patterns is utterly mind boggling.

I thought we could have split that two deep coverage in the medium and deep middle more than we did. I thought we could have cleared out the short area with better route combinations.
            Last edited by Guest; 09-20-2022, 09:42 PM.

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
              • Send PM

I didn't see Kurt criticize the offense at all. He picked out a few plays and pointed out how Herb might execute things differently, from is perspective of playing QB 12 years in the NFL and winning a championship. He does this with a lot of QBs.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                I didn't see Kurt criticize the offense at all. He picked out a few plays and pointed out how Herb might execute things differently, from is perspective of playing QB 12 years in the NFL and winning a championship. He does this with a lot of QBs.
                There were a couple of pickup observations by the RB, but most of it was what a young QB can do better and how our RB could have run flatter routes in some cases.

Comment

• JupiterBolt
                  ~ Charger Fan ~
                  • Sep 2018
                  • Jupiter, FL
                  • Send PM

He did a great job of explaining the concepts. He was not complimentary of #7. I certainty trust HOF QBs over mediocre lawyers playing Monday morning QBs.

Comment

Originally posted by JupiterBolt View Post
                    He did a great job of explaining the concepts. He was not complimentary of #7. I certainty trust HOF QBs over mediocre lawyers playing Monday morning QBs.
                    Warner did not address anything that I discussed as his focus was on the QB and secondarily on how the receivers executed the play called. There was very little discussion about the quality of the play called one way or the other. Warner never reaches my discussion. He is talking about something else and there is no conflict between what he said and what I have been saying since week two of last year.

Seriously, did you even watch the video?

Also, how would you know what level of skill I have as an attorney unless you have encountered me in that realm? The simple answer is that you would not any more than I would know exactly how good or bad you are at your job.

Comment

• captaind
                      Cook This Pork Chops
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Mars
                      • Ball Holder
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post
                      Also, how would you know what level of skill I have as an attorney unless you have encountered me in that realm? The simple answer is that you would not any more than I would know exactly how good or bad you are at your job.
                      :whistlin::whistlin::whistlin:

Comment

• UtahBolt
                        Did we win?
                        • Jun 2013
                        • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
                        • Send PM

In a number of these examples, the check downs/outlets are not finishing their routes and causing too much traffic over the hash and middle of the field. Get in your route and go, either get open or clear 'em out, it's offensive football 101.

I knew the Everett play was a weak effort on his part (tired, up-tempo, etc.) but after watching this, wow, it's way worse than I thought. That may be one of the worst efforts in a professional football game I have ever seen. Gotta clean this shit up...
                        I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

Working...
                        X