Film Study: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (week2 vs KC)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NoMoreChillies
    Outback Goon
    • Sep 2018
    • Australia
    • Send PM

Film Study: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (week2 vs KC)

Weclome back diehards. As we bite our fingernails and wait further results on our injured QB i have some film for you to digest. This week was a heartbreaking loss to KC in which Chargers had opportunities to win and 2 very costly plays let our opponents back into the game. Both plays were small mistakes which resulted in huge point swings, still there is hope on the horizon. Lets dive in

The Good:
    3rd quarter, 9:59 on the clock, 1st and 10 ball on 15yrd line
    Here we see MDub at his finest. Fighting off the coverage with 1 hand and reeling in the ball with the other. I love MDub and plays like this confirm it. We are seeing him become great right before our eyes. Herbert makes a good throw although i would perfer it closer to the pylon to give MDub a little more wiggle room. Nevertheless a great play call executed well.

The Bad:
    3rd quarter 4:47 on the clock, 3rd and 10 ball on 9yrd line
    With Linsley out injured Clapp is the replacement at C. Notice how Clapp head is down when KC make line shifts. He doesnt recognize Jones lined up over Fieler and never looks his way. Fieler gets beat swiftly and the result is Herbert almost taking safety and scrambling to keep the ball in play. This forces a very short punt and allows KC to kick game tying FG. Look who comes open late down the middle if Herbert has time. There is hope to fix this.

The Ugly:
    4th quarter 10:46 on the clock, 1st and goal ball on 3yrd line.
    The famous Everett tired play. This one i blame on playcalling. only 2 of the 4 recievers routes are in the end zone and both of those are short hitch routes. Not a fan. Next notice the KC LB 50 steps up over the C in the A gap. Clapp once again does not recognize this pre-snap movement and Ekeler is forced to pickup the blitz. I dont know line calls and maybe this is by design, but i dont like it. Everett being so exhausted he cant run route correctly and its easy pick 6. Huge 14 point swing giving KC the lead.

Honorable Mentions:

Hon1:
    Chargers blitz 5 and Tranquill slices through for immediate pressure. The tripple team coverage on Kelce taking away Mahommes quick read.

Hon2:
    Derwin moving in the box late takes all Mahommes attention allowing Kyle Van Noy to sneak behind Tillery and past the C before he can react. I love this design moving Derwin the confuse the blocking on who is blitzing. Van Noy is sneaky good.

So as we await the news on Herb take some time to watch and see a couple major errors cost us this game, errors that can be corrected.
    Until next week diehards
    as always
    luv ya
    -Chillies
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

There was definitely a sense that we left some plays out on the field.

As you show Linsley's tendinitis due to the short week was maybe THE jey factor.
    You don't know ball

Comment

• Craig440
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2019
      • Send PM

good job once again.

Comment

• jubei
        Vagabond Ninja
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

I read somewhere that Clapp only allowed 1 pressure. But maybe cuz he didnt realize which way to protect and just looking around for a blocked person to hit instead of making the correct read. on that goalline INT Ek whiffed on the blitzing LBer.

Comment

• UtahBolt
          Did we win?
          • Jun 2013
          • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
          • Send PM

^^ Yeah, it's weird, Ek went to this knees and actually ends up falling into the stunting tackle who was not a factor. Just an all around shit show.

I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• Bolts&noles
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by UtahBolt View Post
            ^^ Yeah, it's weird, Ek went to this knees and actually ends up falling into the stunting tackle who was not a factor. Just an all around shit show.
            I noticed that also.

Comment

• jubei
              Vagabond Ninja
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

they should hire Darren Sproles to coach RBs how to block. I LOVED watching little DS just stonewall LBers who had 50+lbs on him.

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
                The Ugly:
                4th quarter 10:46 on the clock, 1st and goal ball on 3yrd line.
                The famous Everett tired play. This one i blame on playcalling. only 2 of the 4 recievers routes are in the end zone and both of those are short hitch routes. Not a fan. Next notice the KC LB 50 steps up over the C in the A gap. Clapp once again does not recognize this pre-snap movement and Ekeler is forced to pickup the blitz. I dont know line calls and maybe this is by design, but i dont like it. Everett being so exhausted he cant run route correctly and its easy pick 6. Huge 14 point swing giving KC the lead.
                Yep. Pre-snap, there were 3 Chef defenders on the edge, then after the snap, just not enough separation from Everett to the Chef CB...I put this partly on playcalling, partly on Staley for not subbing Everett out, partly on Everett for apparently running the wrong route (though he was gassed, so asking a lot there) and partly on Herbie for not recognizing that the coverage was too tight...when the game's on the line, no need to rush things...when in doubt, call a time out...

ugly 1.JPG

ugly 2.JPG

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep. Pre-snap, there were 3 Chef defenders on the edge, then after the snap, just not enough separation from Everett to the Chef CB...I put this partly on playcalling, partly on Staley for not subbing Everett out, partly on Everett for apparently running the wrong route (though he was gassed, so asking a lot there) and partly on Herbie for not recognizing that the coverage was too tight...when the game's on the line, no need to rush things...when in doubt, call a time out...
                  Just looking at the spacing of the receivers gives me heartburn. Middle f the field is wide open, corners wide open. 4 guys in "patterns" (and I use the word loosely as they just took a few steps) bunched together

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍