NFL Game Broadcast Teams: Who's Least Awful?!?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ghost of Quacksaw
    Beef Before Gazelles
    • May 2021
    • Send PM

NFL Game Broadcast Teams: Who's Least Awful?!?

I can't tell you how RARELY it is that I watch a game and think, "That was a really nice job by the broadcasting team."

The large majority of them are just AWFUL.

They out-and-out CHEER! For BOTH teams! It's nauseating!

Not only do they talk too much-- a pretty big problem on it's own-- they REPEAT themselves! Constantly! And they admit it!

"Like we were saying back in the 3rd quarter, Bob... and in the 1st quarter, and I think we said it in pre-game too, Bob... The <team of choice> really needs to <yada yada yada> better, if they're going to have a chance to win this game."

No FUCKING SHIT, Sherlock! We knew that before you brought it up, and then you brought it up seven times!!!

Far too often, these broadcasting teams fail to allow the game to speak for itself. Not every replay needs to be narrated in expansive detail. For example, it would be sufficient for the talking head to say, "Really nice block there by the left guard, Bonkerson. It paved the way into the second level for the back, where he could use his superior agility one-on-one against linebackers."

That would be good, right? It's not what we get, though. Instead, it's

"Lyle Bonkerson! A 2019 3rd round draft pick out of Spamford! The 6-3, 291 pound guard has been kept out of the lineup by a series of injuries over the first few years of his career, Bob, but you see right there why the club's GM, Buzz Offerson, invested a Day 2 pick on him! You can't coach a guy into the kind of toughness he has! You're either born with it, or you're not! He's the pride of Bumphuque High School in Texarkana, Wisconsin, Bob, where he starred for the Fightin' Peacemakers! Dad Merton and Mom Beulah are in the stadium here today!"

JUST. STOP!!!

Are these guys getting paid by the word? Do they get paid more, if they repeat themselves, or if they keep the subject matter on lame topics? That's an easy conclusion to draw, listening to them! What, you can't mention a player's name without bringing up where in the draft he was selected, and by whom? Where his hometown is, and the name-- and mascot-- of his high school?!?

I wish there were a constructive avenue to lobby for changes in how the game is broadcast, but as far as I know there aren't.

I guess I could boycott Gillette, Chevrolet and Budweiser. lol

So which broadcast teams out there strike the best balance?

It's not Steve Levy-- who apparently models his 'game' after Marv Albert.

It's not Al Michaels who will wear you out with his attempts at clever phrases and plays-on-words that too often fall short of being amusing. Just corny. Or lame.

It's not Jim Nance-- who spews all the sports-o-babble with the so-called best of them. He's really prone to amplifying a player's reputation, by, for example, calling a really solid player 'elite', when he's NOT elite. Just solid.

It's not Greg Gumble, either. Or Ian Eagle. Lot's of hyperbole and use of embarrassingly bad phrases like "dipsy-doo" and "prancing" and "That's a no-no!"

I've often thought that Tony Romo does a better job than most, but I haven't heard him call a game yet this season.

I *have* noticed that a lot of broadcasting pairs have been changed up for this season. Cris Collinsworth is no longer paired with Al Michaels, for example. I think that *was* an especially obnoxious duo. We'll see if being paired up with someone different brings out something better in them.

If there's anyone who doing the job better than the others, I want to give them credit. I'll take nominations.
  • BearWithJetpack
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Mar 2019
    • Send PM

I am very down on just about every broadcasting team, but Tony Romo is a treasure. They should lock that guy in a room with all the games on a wall and have him commentate all of them.

​​​​I bet Rivers would be an amazing commentator himself.

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

For Charger games, I generally don't listen to the network announcers on the TV game, but sync up the audio from the homer radio broadcast to the TV game. Matt "Money" Smith isn't perfect, but pretty competent, and Daniel Jeremiah is an outstanding analyst. However, if I had no choice in listening into the play-by-play, I'm good with Greg Gumble, Ian Eagle and Kevin Harlan. (Harlan is great on radio.) Nantz is ok, but you know its a big game when he's on it.

For the analysts, maybe the only decent ones are Romo and Lofton. Trent Green is ok too.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post
        I can't tell you how RARELY it is that I watch a game and think, "That was a really nice job by the broadcasting team."

The large majority of them are just AWFUL.

They out-and-out CHEER! For BOTH teams! It's nauseating!

Not only do they talk too much-- a pretty big problem on it's own-- they REPEAT themselves! Constantly! And they admit it!

"Like we were saying back in the 3rd quarter, Bob... and in the 1st quarter, and I think we said it in pre-game too, Bob... The <team of choice> really needs to <yada yada yada> better, if they're going to have a chance to win this game."

No FUCKING SHIT, Sherlock! We knew that before you brought it up, and then you brought it up seven times!!!

Far too often, these broadcasting teams fail to allow the game to speak for itself. Not every replay needs to be narrated in expansive detail. For example, it would be sufficient for the talking head to say, "Really nice block there by the left guard, Bonkerson. It paved the way into the second level for the back, where he could use his superior agility one-on-one against linebackers."

That would be good, right? It's not what we get, though. Instead, it's

"Lyle Bonkerson! A 2019 3rd round draft pick out of Spamford! The 6-3, 291 pound guard has been kept out of the lineup by a series of injuries over the first few years of his career, Bob, but you see right there why the club's GM, Buzz Offerson, invested a Day 2 pick on him! You can't coach a guy into the kind of toughness he has! You're either born with it, or you're not! He's the pride of Bumphuque High School in Texarkana, Wisconsin, Bob, where he starred for the Fightin' Peacemakers! Dad Merton and Mom Beulah are in the stadium here today!"

JUST. STOP!!!

Are these guys getting paid by the word? Do they get paid more, if they repeat themselves, or if they keep the subject matter on lame topics? That's an easy conclusion to draw, listening to them! What, you can't mention a player's name without bringing up where in the draft he was selected, and by whom? Where his hometown is, and the name-- and mascot-- of his high school?!?

I wish there were a constructive avenue to lobby for changes in how the game is broadcast, but as far as I know there aren't.

I guess I could boycott Gillette, Chevrolet and Budweiser. lol

So which broadcast teams out there strike the best balance?

It's not Steve Levy-- who apparently models his 'game' after Marv Albert.

It's not Al Michaels who will wear you out with his attempts at clever phrases and plays-on-words that too often fall short of being amusing. Just corny. Or lame.

It's not Jim Nance-- who spews all the sports-o-babble with the so-called best of them. He's really prone to amplifying a player's reputation, by, for example, calling a really solid player 'elite', when he's NOT elite. Just solid.

It's not Greg Gumble, either. Or Ian Eagle. Lot's of hyperbole and use of embarrassingly bad phrases like "dipsy-doo" and "prancing" and "That's a no-no!"

I've often thought that Tony Romo does a better job than most, but I haven't heard him call a game yet this season.

I *have* noticed that a lot of broadcasting pairs have been changed up for this season. Cris Collinsworth is no longer paired with Al Michaels, for example. I think that *was* an especially obnoxious duo. We'll see if being paired up with someone different brings out something better in them.

If there's anyone who doing the job better than the others, I want to give them credit. I'll take nominations.
        Your take on Jim Nantz seems a bit harsh. He is solid/good. And his broadcasting partner, Tony Romo, is easily the best out there at this time--very knowledgeable and does a good job of presenting information.

Ian Eagle and Charles Davis are both solid/pretty good professionals.

I think Joe Buck is pretty good and Troy Aikman presents information well, but I disagree with a number of his takes.

Mike Tirico is pretty good, but Cris Collinsworth can be pretty annoying, despite having good knowledge.

Al Michaels is pretty good, and Kirk Herbstreit is okay. They are only a couple of games in as a team, but their mix has seemed a bit inconsistent at times--definitely not Madden and Summerall at this point.

Comment

• Boltx
          Dominate the day
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Romo is a little too excitable but he is very knowledgeable.

No Gus Johnson fans? LOL
          ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Bolt-O
            Administrator
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
            Romo is a little too excitable but he is very knowledgeable.

No Gus Johnson fans? LOL
            Luv Gus calls, but he no longer does NFL.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
              Beef Before Gazelles
              • May 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Your take on Jim Nantz seems a bit harsh. He is solid/good. And his broadcasting partner, Tony Romo, is easily the best out there at this time--very knowledgeable and does a good job of presenting information.

Ian Eagle and Charles Davis are both solid/pretty good professionals.

I think Joe Buck is pretty good and Troy Aikman presents information well, but I disagree with a number of his takes.

Mike Tirico is pretty good, but Cris Collinsworth can be pretty annoying, despite having good knowledge.

Al Michaels is pretty good, and Kirk Herbstreit is okay. They are only a couple of games in as a team, but their mix has seemed a bit inconsistent at times--definitely not Madden and Summerall at this point.
              Yes to Charles Davis. Sheds intelligent light on what's taken place, and does it in a non-fanboy manner.

To my ear, it's really obvious that Troy Aikman has some post-concussion stuff going on, and it gets in the way of his explaining things intelligently.

Comment

Working...
              X