• Show
Clear All
  • NoMoreChillies
    Outback Goon
    • Sep 2018
    • Australia
    • Send PM

Drive Killers

We have all talked at length about Chargers 3rd quarter performances or lack of.
    I present some video evidence to let the court of TPB form an educated and emotion free opinion on why they struggle

play1:
    3rd and 4 13:41 on the clock

Play2:
    3rd and 5 5:59 on the clock

play3:
    i showed the whole series here as the context

Discuss

Note: if mods need to merge this into one of the other playcalling threads go ahead.

• Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

It's a combination of factors. Some were drops, some were overthrows. It could be Herbie is still off on some passes due to the rib injury. Also, Herbie is trying to sling the rock into some pretty tight windows sometimes. If he keeps this up, we could see more picks.

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2021
      • Send PM

Herbert can throw into tight windows because of velocity and accuracy. He still has it but, seems his throwing motion has adjusted to compensate for rib pain. Worry launch angle change could become habitual, he can still generally throw it where he wants, but the soft touch short throws require more finesse and touch. Saw him throw a couple short bloopers into the field turf, like they actually hurt more than the longer motion so his body naturally shut it down.

Herbert is making a historical case study on throwing mechanics.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Exactly NMC.

Take Everett's drop.
        He was well beyond the first down marker.
        The defender fell down.
        SMH.
        Now we have to punt.
        Get comfortable with being uncomfortable.
        Ben Herbert

Comment

• DennisR91
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2021
          • Send PM

Nice post chilies
          you start the best posts around here

why didn’t they just run the ball, would’ve kept the clock running

maybe an audible to an under center snap from shotgun

mYbe throw a backside shoulder to mw

maybe just punt it on third down lol

a couple those defenders looked ready to jump those 1st down markers

you got me on this one I’m use to you explaining everything lol

Comment

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
            We have all talked at length about Chargers 3rd quarter performances or lack of.
            I present some video evidence to let the court of TPB form an educated and emotion free opinion on why they struggle

play1:
            3rd and 4 13:41 on the clock

Play2:
            3rd and 5 5:59 on the clock

play3:
            i showed the whole series here as the context

Discuss

Note: if mods need to merge this into one of the other playcalling threads go ahead.
            The first series of the third quarter went first down running play, two-yard short pass, and short pass. That is just about everything I have been complaining about when it comes to Lombardi's play calling. It is horribly conservative. I have specifically identified first down running plays and very short passes as a problem over and over again.

The second series of the third quarter ended when we went conservative with run, run, pass, something I have also complained of at length.

The third possession went first down pass for two yards, second down run for 4 yards, third down pass for 6 yards and a first down, first down run for -2 yards (bailed out by a defensive penalty). All of this was very conservative play calling leading up to the series you posted in the third video.

In that video, what I see is only one route run into medium depth by Carter and it is open. The left outside WR's route is too short, allowing the LB on that side to offer some defense against both the WR and Ekeler, which is something I have specifically complained about. Only one receiver is running a route with any significant depth. The second and third plays were designed a little better.

Also, it should be noted 1) that after the conservative play calling that killed the first two drives, the momentum in the game had clearly shifted into HOU's favor, and 2) there was overly conservative poor play calling on all three possessions.

Overall, there was much more wrong with what you did not show in the videos on the possessions in question than what you did show.

Comment

• ghost
              The Rise of Kellen Moore
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
              Exactly NMC.

Take Everett's drop.
              He was well beyond the first down marker.
              The defender fell down.
              SMH.
              Now we have to punt.
              Second most important stat, other than the final score, is Third Down Efficiency. Everett's untimely drop was reflected in this week's stats: Chargers were 8/16. Texans were 4/12.

Comment

• blueman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Just our classic Chargers O: awesome skill players who will put up awesome stats, and crap the bed at times as all players will. Our version seems to be unrecoverable about 50% of the time, sucks but that’s the Chargers.

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
                  Chargers Hall of Fame
                  • Sep 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

The first series of the third quarter went first down running play, two-yard short pass, and short pass. That is just about everything I have been complaining about when it comes to Lombardi's play calling. It is horribly conservative. I have specifically identified first down running plays and very short passes as a problem over and over again.

The second series of the third quarter ended when we went conservative with run, run, pass, something I have also complained of at length.

The third possession went first down pass for two yards, second down run for 4 yards, third down pass for 6 yards and a first down, first down run for -2 yards (bailed out by a defensive penalty). All of this was very conservative play calling leading up to the series you posted in the third video.

In that video, what I see is only one route run into medium depth by Carter and it is open. The left outside WR's route is too short, allowing the LB on that side to offer some defense against both the WR and Ekeler, which is something I have specifically complained about. Only one receiver is running a route with any significant depth. The second and third plays were designed a little better.

Also, it should be noted 1) that after the conservative play calling that killed the first two drives, the momentum in the game had clearly shifted into HOU's favor, and 2) there was overly conservative poor play calling on all three possessions.

Overall, there was much more wrong with what you did not show in the videos on the possessions in question than what you did show.
                  Yup.

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by chaincrusher View Post

Chargers scored the most first half points since 2018. Did you bother to point that out at any point during your biased, myopic list of grievances, gnashing of teeth and rending of garments?

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
                      Chargers Hall of Fame
                      • Sep 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Chargers scored the most first half points since 2018. Did you bother to point that out at any point during your biased, myopic list of grievances, gnashing of teeth and rending of garments?
                      He’s pointing out the tendency of our offense to stall in the second half of games this season and trying to ascertain why that is.

Big lead early? Yay. Biggest lead in awhile? Kudos.

Now his question is, why did that wonderful start crumble to a one score game? Why does our offense tend to shrivel up?

Does everything have to be so sum-zero on this board? Can no one criticize a recurring theme this season without being accused of being myopic or being a Debbie downer?

Perhaps the habitual 3-and-done offensive “drives” of the second half can (and should) be discussed. No?
                      Last edited by BayAreaBoltz; 10-05-2022, 04:13 AM.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

And not because the players were perfect in 1st half’s but less than perfect in 2nd half’s.

what’s particularly galling about making excuses for coaching is Lombardi himself blamed his conservative play calling in two games.

to Lombardi’s credit….he recognized the problem, so he can correct it. Unfortunately, some posters refuse to accept Lombardi’s culpability in either losing games we should have won or keeping opponents hanging around.

Comment

Working...
                        X