List your top ten chargers offensive linemen ALL TIME…

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Time to add russ washington to the contender list, I’m not sure where he’ll fall on the ALL time top ten but he’ll be up there for sure…

the next guy I’m adding to the contender list is a player I don’t know much about as I was an infant when his career was wrapping up and hopefully some of the old timers can chime in and give us some perspective on him, he was a long time starter at LT so that alone carries a ton of weight in my book, I’ll continue to research him to determine where he fits in the list of all time charger greats, his name was Terry Owens…
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• chargeroo
      Fan since 1961
      • Jan 2019
      • Oregon
      • Retired Manager/Pastor
      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Larry Little was a Charger, no?

He went on to have a HOF career with Miami as a guard.

Miami's center on those Super Bowl teams was also very good, but I can't remember his name.

Was it Jim Langer?
      Thanks for your help.

Yes, it was Larry Little. We had him and let him go and he turned out to be a All Pro.
      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
        Charger Fan since 1978
        • Sep 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
        I'm trying to remember the Center that left us for the Dolphins and had a HOF career. I ate lunch with him at a Chargers luncheon in his rookie year. Nice guy, but now I forgot his name. Another sign of how old I am.
        Roo, he was an undrafted rookie free agent for the chargers in 1967. His name was Larry Little and he played guard for the Dolphins, I can’t find any information of him playing center but two years into his career the Chargers traded him to the dolphins in 1969…maybe the chargers didn’t value him as a center but the Dolphins valued him as a guard, he ended starting on the perfect team and won two superbowls with the fins…

since he was a charger first should he be on our list too? He didn’t make his bones until he became a dolphin tho…
        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
          Charger Fan since 1978
          • Sep 2021
          • Send PM

Thanks for your help.

Yes, it was Larry Little. We had him and let him go and he turned out to be a All Pro.
          Roo, if you can tell us a little about terry owens I’d appreciate it a lot…terry owens is not a name I was familiar with in charger history and he started at LT for us for 7 years straight, he didn’t get many honors but his longevity alone deserves attention…

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
            Charger Fan since 1978
            • Sep 2021
            • Send PM

We are coming to the end of the reverse chronological order listings, down to the very first charger legends on O-line, I’m adding to the contenders ron mix and ernie wright…they were our first OTs and both were probowlers and started for many years…

I’m also adding don rogers to the honorable mentions list, he was our original center for 3 of the first 4 years in chargers history, in his third year he started at guard and then went back to center for year 4…

Comment

• chargeroo
              Fan since 1961
              • Jan 2019
              • Oregon
              • Retired Manager/Pastor
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Roo, if you can tell us a little about terry owens I’d appreciate it a lot…terry owens is not a name I was familiar with in charger history and he started at LT for us for 7 years straight, he didn’t get many honors but his longevity alone deserves attention…
              Terry Owens was tall and nimble, very athletic. Very good pass blocker but only fair at run blocking. I liked him and considered him for my list.
              THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                Charger Fan since 1978
                • Sep 2021
                • Send PM

I got 14 or so guys contending for a top ten spot, it's not going to be easy to finalize the top ten…I’m in no hurry, I need to do more research on the older guys from the 1960s first, it would be too easy for me to be biased towards the Fouts era guys because they were my introduction to Charger fanhood, but you could make the argument that those five men, and they played together for a long time which is really rare, as a group they might be the best O-line in charger history…

one things for sure, I thought a great offensive line was just going to be the norm going forward, as a kid I had no idea how lucky we were to have those guys together for such a long time…didn’t they have a nickname too? I want to say they were known as the “power company” or something like that as in ‘charger power’ which was a popular term that’s no longer in use…

shields, wilkerson, macek, white, and washington…

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                  Charger Fan since 1978
                  • Sep 2021
                  • Send PM

Terry Owens was tall and nimble, very athletic. Very good pass blocker but only fair at run blocking. I liked him and considered him for my list.
                  He was listed at 6’7” tall and weighed 265, WOW…nowadays coaches would force him to gain 45-60 pounds if he wants to make the team:shock:

Comment

• chargeroo
                    Fan since 1961
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Oregon
                    • Retired Manager/Pastor
                    • Send PM

He was listed at 6’7” tall and weighed 265, WOW…nowadays coaches would force him to gain 45-60 pounds if he wants to make the team:shock:
                    He'd probably be a TE in today's NFL. In fact, I think he did play TE in college before they switched him to LT.
                    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• chargeroo
                      Fan since 1961
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Oregon
                      • Retired Manager/Pastor
                      • Send PM

I got 14 or so guys contending for a top ten spot, it's not going to be easy to finalize the top ten…I’m in no hurry, I need to do more research on the older guys from the 1960s first, it would be too easy for me to be biased towards the Fouts era guys because they were my introduction to Charger fanhood, but you could make the argument that those five men, and they played together for a long time which is really rare, as a group they might be the best O-line in charger history…

one things for sure, I thought a great offensive line was just going to be the norm going forward, as a kid I had no idea how lucky we were to have those guys together for such a long time…didn’t they have a nickname too? I want to say they were known as the “power company” or something like that as in ‘charger power’ which was a popular term that’s no longer in use…

shields, wilkerson, macek, white, and washington…
                      I would agree, they were the best OL that I can recall. No doubt all five of them will show up on some of these lists.
                      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

Working...
                      X