Seahawks @ Chargers Pre Game Thread (Week 7)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Seahawks @ Chargers Pre Game Thread (Week 7)

Chargers open as a 7 point favorite over the Seahawks.

Discuss.
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

I'd put a couple of bucks on the Seahawks to cover, lol.

Comment

• ghost
      The Rise of Kellen Moore
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/seahawks/qb-geno-smith-does-enough-to-help-seahawks-get-week-6-win-over-cardinals/

QB Geno Smith does enough to help Seahawks get Week 6 win over Cardinals

So did Sunday finally mark the beginning of Seahawks quarterback Geno Smith coming down to earth?

After entering the game leading the NFL with a passer rating of 113.2, Smith was held to a rating of 82.3, his second lowest of the year.

Smith was also held to 197 yards and a season-low 6.4 yards per attempt while taking a season-high five sacks. Smith, while citing the play of the Arizona defense, mostly chalked it up to one of those days.

“I just don’t think I played my best game today,” Smith said. “Hats off to their defense because they played a big part in that. But I have a certain set of standards for myself personally. And not to take away from what we did as a team. We did a great job. And winning is great always in the NFL. But I know I need to be better, and I will be.”

Smith, whose rating for the season fell to 108.1, didn’t have a completion of longer than 22 yards, also a season low, while not throwing a touchdown for only the second time this year. That also happened against the 49ers, which was the game before coach Pete Carroll said it was time for the Seahawks to open up all of the offense for Smith.

Smith didn’t throw an interception and ran for 48 yards on six carries, which helped offset the lack of a consistent passing offense. And he also came up big when it mattered most, completing 5 of 6 passes for 64 yards on what was Seattle’s only touchdown drive of the game spanning the end of the third quarter and beginning of the fourth.

And to Carroll, the lack of turnovers and making the clutch throws when it mattered meant more than any of the raw numbers.

“Geno had a really solid game today,” Carroll said. “We didn’t protect as well. We held the ball a little bit. But he had a really solid day throwing the football, had some really good stuff and came through for us.”

The rushing yards were the second most for Smith this year other than a 49-yard outing against Detroit.

Smith said the way Arizona played its defense led to some open lanes.

“Their defense did a great job at bracketing DK (Metcalf) and Tyler (Lockett),” Smith said. “And they had a great plan. So we had to go to some other guys and they stepped up. Dee Eskridge, Marquise (Goodwin). Noah (Fant) had a pretty good day. And then myself, you know, being a weapon as well using my legs. So if teams continue to play us that style, which I expect where they’re playing off and bracketing off our receivers, then that means there’s no one covering me, you know, if I take off and run.’’

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
        Charger Fan since 1978
        • Sep 2021
        • Send PM

Something dumb I’ll be rooting for next weekend, of course I always want the chargers to win, but this coming Sunday a win can be extra special…it could mean that Justin Herbert does something he has never done in his NFL career, he could finally get over the hump and have a winning record as a starting NFL QB!!! He’s currently 19-19 as an NFL starter…
        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Classic
          Hall Of Fame
          • Dec 2014
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post
          Something dumb I’ll be rooting for next weekend, of course I always want the chargers to win, but this coming Sunday a win can be extra special…it could mean that Justin Herbert does something he has never done in his NFL career, he could finally get over the hump and have a winning record as a starting NFL QB!!! He’s currently 19-19 as an NFL starter…
          Isnt that a little embarrassing considering how great Herberts been? Especially coming off performance where you throw 57 timea and fail to score a TD. Herbert needs to play way better I for one am no longer being impressed by stats dont mean anything.

Comment

• Boltx
            Dominate the day
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Classic View Post

Isnt that a little embarrassing considering how great Herberts been? Especially coming off performance where you throw 57 timea and fail to score a TD. Herbert needs to play way better I for one am no longer being impressed by stats dont mean anything.
            His injury aside...one thing to note is that Herbert never really had a "sophomore slump" that many QBs go through (unless you are Mahomes, Brady, etc). We may we seeing a bit of that this year. Hopefully it makes him better long term.

I still think it's a shame not ti try to surround him with better offensive coaches. Like Lombardi is the best we can do? For our franchise QB???
            ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
              I still think it's a shame not ti try to surround him with better offensive coaches. Like Lombardi is the best we can do? For our franchise QB???
              You seem to forget that Herbert led the AFC in passing under Lombardi in their first season together. Herbert was better than Mahomes or Allen.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Nov 2021
                • Send PM

Herbert seems to be regressing under Lombardi. Perhaps it’s just the Denver defense is unbelievably good, but that appeared to me as the worst performance of Herbert’s career.

And I still don’t understand Lombardi’s play calling. He knew Denver blitzes more often than any team yet he still had Herbert taking forever to pass.

id like to see Herbert take 3 steps, plant and release versus waiting for receivers to finish their routes.

Comment

• Boltx
                  Dominate the day
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                  You seem to forget that Herbert led the AFC in passing under Lombardi in their first season together. Herbert was better than Mahomes or Allen.
                  Cool.

Where did that get us?
                  ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post

Cool.

Where did that get us?
                    It got us a really good, top 5 offense, more than good enough to win the Super Bowl, if the Chargers had had a decent defense.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jul 2017
                      • Send PM

Chargers O has put up big numbers against a few teams under Lombo, but i never get the sense that it is really good.

Good enough to win the Superbowl with an average D? I don't think so.

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
                        Chargers O has put up big numbers against a few teams under Lombo, but i never get the sense that it is really good.

Good enough to win the Superbowl with an average D? I don't think so.
                        Led the AFC in passing last season with a sophomore QB. Better than either of the Super Bowl teams. So I guess it was good enough to win the SB, if they had a decent defense to match.

Comment

Working...
                        X