Film Study : The Good, The Bad and The Great (week6 vs DEN)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NoMoreChillies
    Outback Goon
    • Sep 2018
    • Australia
    • Send PM

Film Study : The Good, The Bad and The Great (week6 vs DEN)

Weclome back diehards for another week of film study. This week we were treated to some big individual efforts and 200iq plays from some lesser known players. We also got to see the other side of the coin in those "Chargerrrrrrrrr" games and it was a good feeling. As i said in previous weeks, Chargers have turned the corner imo and will now start to put all the pieces together knowing they can win a variety of game types not just the "bombs away" shootouts. Den def was legit and prolly the best Chargers will face all season, so to come away with a win making it 3 in a row in something special indeed. Staley is getting rid of the curse and Lombardi is playing the right chess moves.
    Lets absorb and enjoy

The Good:
    1st quarter 4:05 on the clock, 1st and 10 ball on 27yard line.
    I included 2 back to back plays here as they completely shutdown the DEN drive. Bryce Callahan take a bow mang, this effort was superb and had me in awe. You can see this dude has watched some film and his play recognition is fast, deadly fast. Not only being able to recognise the screen but avoiding the traffic to make the stops was big.

The Bad:
    4th quarter 10:41 on the clock, 1st and 10 ball on 17yard line
    Carter in motion get the defense to reveal zone, initially Carter is open for easy 5yrd completion. Herb comes off Carter to Mdub his 2nd read but doesnt like that either and settles on his 3rd read Everett. The throw is late and into triple coverage. No more please Herb

The Great:
    2nd quarter 9:16 on the clock, 3rd and 2 ball on 6yard line
    Austin Ekeler is super sayan strong. Good run blocking from Sayler and Fieler seals the edge. Everett engages the LB, Pipkins take the DE while Zion + Clapp double the nose at the point of attack. The line gets a 1yrd push goin and Ekeler breaks the LB tackle in the hole. Will Clapp and Zion Johnson get most the credit here for playing to the whistle and driving the NT back into the endzone with Ekeler along for the ride. This 200iq play from these guys tells me they are getting coached well and executing when needed. I loved it and want more

Honorable Mentions:

Hon1
    Khalil Mack is still a beast bull rushing the LT back into Russ for the sack. Shoutout to Jerry Tillery showing some flash also

Hon2
    Drue Tranquill's effort here to follow the play it outstanding. Look where he lines up and where he makes the tackle.

Bonus Clips:
    Here I have to give praise to Joe Lombardi and Sony Michel. This is 4 plays that all involve some tough runnning which Chargers have lacked. Sony showing the desire still burns in him bouncing off tackles and keeping those drives alive which leads to points. The last play was 4th down and it was setup by the 3 previous short yardage runs. The Def bites on play action to Michel and Everett is open. For some reason Herb does not throw it.

Extra bonus bonus lightning round:
    We all know the final punt that gave us the win, but did you see Ja'Sir Taylor on the previous punt in OT?
    here is both

Game winner punt :

(had to use mny gamer account to upload as i hit my limit lol)

Previous punt:

yeah that dude is a footballer. Love it

So big feels getting the win this week. 3 in a row. It wasnt pretty but it was a W. Having some of the lesser known players make plays shows a good trajectory for Chargers.
    As always luv ya
    -Chillies

• nomad1946
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2017
    • West Yellowstone, Montana
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Thank you NMC, great analysis as always

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

TY NMC. Sony Michel is getting tough, important yards for us. That is something that will come in handy in December and beyond.
      We need to be able to prevail in what Staley calls "rugged" games.
      Last edited by wu-dai clan; 10-20-2022, 06:53 AM. Reason: typos
      You don't know ball

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
        TY NMC. Sony Michel is getting tough, important yards for us. That is something that will come in handy in December and beyond.
        We need to be able tou prevail in whar Staley calls "rugged" games.
        Those short. yardage carries were extremely important in that game and while they were not things of beauty, they were will-imposing runs that were crucial to what limited success we had on O.

Comment

• jamrock
          lawyers, guns and money
          • Sep 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
          We need to be able tou prevail in whar Staley calls "rugged" games.
          Denver’s guys hit hard. Sony hit just as hard. I was impressed by his strength in this game. He’s not a guy that’s gonna break one but he is a guy who knows how to get past the marker

Comment

• nomad1946
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2017
            • West Yellowstone, Montana
            • Retired
            • Send PM

My inexpert observation. The first two Sony runs were 'kills' by Herbi. To me that means they were in a pass set and not in a well scripted, set run play. So the 2-3 yards that Sony got were even better than a called run off the right side. The third run seemed to be a called run and it went for much better yardage and it went to the left instead. I am not sure why, but it seems to me that Herbi is calling a good number of 'kill' plays.

Comment

• chargeroo
              Fan since 1961
              • Jan 2019
              • Oregon
              • Retired Manager/Pastor
              • Send PM

Thanks again NMC. You picked a couple of my favorite plays.

The Denver D is very good and they forced the Bolts to work hard for every single yard - and that's just what you see in these videos. That's an encouraging sign. Considering all the injuries, these wins are a testimony to how hard the team is working. They'll need to do it again this week because the Seahawks are a sound football team.
              THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Craig440
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2019
                • Send PM

Great stuff NM Chillies. Thanks again.

Comment

• jubei
                  Vagabond Ninja
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                  Thanks again NMC. You picked a couple of my favorite plays.

The Denver D is very good and they forced the Bolts to work hard for every single yard - and that's just what you see in these videos. That's an encouraging sign. Considering all the injuries, these wins are a testimony to how hard the team is working. They'll need to do it again this week because the Seahawks are a sound football team.
                  I thought the seahags were pretty bad defensively. O is maybe average'ish

Comment

• chargeroo
                    Fan since 1961
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Oregon
                    • Retired Manager/Pastor
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post

I thought the seahags were pretty bad defensively. O is maybe average'ish
                    I think of them as average on both O and D. I think of us also as average on both so I expect a close game.

I really like their WR's.
                    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
                      Good run blocking from Sayler and Fieler seals the edge.
                      That WAS a nice block by Salyer...nice hole he and Feiler opened up, had Ekkie gone there...as it is, Ekkie is so strong, he bulled his way to the EZ...but I'd like to see some more plays drawn up to take advantage of Salyer's run blocking...

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍