Film Study: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (week7 vs SEA)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NoMoreChillies
    Outback Goon
    • Sep 2018
    • Australia
    • Send PM

Film Study: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (week7 vs SEA)

Welcome back diehards. This weeks loss was tough. Watching film made me think the game was alot closer than the score led us to believe. I keep seeing opportunities for big plays, big highlight plays that just miss or just not enough. Sooner or later Chargers will put it together. I hope its sooner. I can clearly see Herbs ribs bother him and it affects his decision making as I will showcase here.

The Good:
    2nd quarter 12:52 on the clock, 1st and goal ball on 8yrd line
    Austin Ekeler is magic. This play shows his great patience, vision and supreme strength to get the TD after being down 17-0.
    Chargers in shotgun formation with Carter in motion. Check out both guards Zion + Fieler combo blocks and getting to the second level. Salyer sealing the edge and Ekeler gets hit at the 3yard line but drags them into the endzone. Effort and Execution was outstanding.

The Bad:
    1st quarter 5:37 on the clock, 3rd and 7 ball on 43yrd line
    Chargers in 3 wide formation with Carter in motion. Here it seems Herb is locked into Carter no matter what. He stares him down and does not see the S reading his eyes. This needs correcting.

The Ugly:
    4th quarter 7:08 on the clock, 1st and 10 ball on 26yrd line.
    The big gashing run we hate to see. This one hurts even more because it comes after a failed 4th down conversion.
    Seahawks using motion and quick toss to the right. Van Noy gets questionable block to the ground, Tranquill gets eaten by the C, Murray actively looks to engage the RT who also manages to get in the way of Derwin and Murray simultaneously. Bad decision by Murray. Bad angle by Derwin.

Honorable mentions:

Hon1
    ASJ with the incredible jump on the route and pass breakup causing a tipped INT for Murray

Hon2
    Herb on play action roll out has Carter wide open with 1 safety to beat. Herb hesitates on the throw and Carter runs out of room. I have to think Herbs ribs are causing him to second guess here thinking he cant get the ball over the LB's and waits for a throwing lane. Oh what could have been...

Bonus Content:

I was curious about all the batted passes this week. I thought i saw 4 but could only find 3 in film study. Lemme know if i missed any.
    If we examine each batted pass we can see where Herb was goin with the ball and how open was the receiver. I reckon Herbs ribs hurting have changed his point of release ever so slightly lower causing these batted passes.

Bat1
    Looks like Herb was goin for Bandy here when Everett was clearly open

Bat2
    Herb pumps to Bandy and has Mdub wide open across the short middle. Interesting coverage from SEA and the play called was a good matchup from Lombardi.

Bat3
    The Bandy route clears out the MLB and Everett has nothing but green grass infront of him. Another good playcall from Lombardi

Yeah losing sucks. Nobody likes it. I still believe Chargers can turn it on and get hot when needed. 10 games to go and some much needed starters returning to play gives me hope

As always
    Luv ya
    -Chillies
  • nomad1946
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2017
    • West Yellowstone, Montana
    • Retired
    • Send PM

I never give up on the season until we are eliminated, there is always hope.

Thanks again NMC, these must be harder after a game like this was.

I agree that it looks to me like Herbi is throwing more sidearm than his usual over the top.

Comment

• Midwestbolt
      • Feb 2019
      • Midwest
      • Local 150 operating engineer.
      • Send PM

The Batted passes were of particular interest to me. I was SMH during the game - but looking here he was probably making the best decisions where he was going with the ball. Honestly there was really only one "open" receiver each play. Linemen are so good anymore timing the passes and getting their big mitts in the way. I agree you are right about Herbert maybe being off on his angle, or release.

At any rate, things are off for him - and the line injuries haven't helped. Here's to :Cheers1:a good bye week and getting players rested up and healed a bit.

Comment

• jubei
        Vagabond Ninja
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Thx NMC. I think with rib injuries it hurts to have a high release point because you are then extending the rib spacing. At least it looks like it to me with his release being by his ear it keeps his arm lower and less expansion of the rib cage during the throwing motion.

Comment

• Kellyb72601
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Sep 2019
          • Send PM

Interesting stat: Chargers #43 Michael Davis reached 22.70 mph in pursuit of Walker, the 3rd-fastest speed by any player on a play this season.

Maybe we can put vato at receiver? :whistlin:

Comment

• jubei
            Vagabond Ninja
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post
            Interesting stat: Chargers #43 Michael Davis reached 22.70 mph in pursuit of Walker, the 3rd-fastest speed by any player on a play this season.

Maybe we can put vato at receiver? :whistlin:
            I saw him streaking across the field chasing walker. but he's a db for a reason...probably cuz he cant catch.

Comment

• FoutsFan
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Birmingham AL
              • Send PM

There was a brutal hold on that big run. The Chargers got punched in the face by Seattle and barley made a whimper in defense but that was the worse reffed game I have seen in a very long time. The refs played as bad as the Chargers, it was terrible. I hope the Chargers put together a low-light package and send it to the NFL, just for the record.

Comment

• UtahBolt
                Did we win?
                • Jun 2013
                • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
                • Send PM

I notice on that long run the really bad angles that both Murray and DJ take. Murray actually recovers slightly and has a shot at Walker but he's really not close and DJ just gets swallowed up in the traffic and makes no impact. Just gotta be better at getting to the ball, a defense should never allow a runner to outrun it by turning up the sideline. Never.

Thanks as always NMC!
                I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Regarding The Ugly, does anyone have the sense that had we converted on 4th down, that obviously the Walker III long TD would not have occurred, but also, that we would have pulled this game out ?
                  We do not play modern football.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                    Outback Goon
                    • Sep 2018
                    • Australia
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                    Regarding The Ugly, does anyone have the sense that had we converted on 4th down, that obviously the Walker III long TD would not have occurred, but also, that we would have pulled this game out ?
                    tis a good point. Little changes affect everything.

Atm I am wondering if every big run play has gone to the same side, the side Bosa is missing from.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                      Smooth Operation
                      • May 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post

tis a good point. Little changes affect everything.

Atm I am wondering if every big run play has gone to the same side, the side Bosa is missing from.
                      We lead the league in negative WAR. Wins Against Replacements. These damned injuries. To our great players. No one feels sorry for LAC.
                      We do not play modern football.

Comment

Working...
                      X