Film Study: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (week9 vs ATL)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NoMoreChillies
    Outback Goon
    • Sep 2018
    • Australia
    • Send PM

Film Study: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly (week9 vs ATL)

Welcome back diehards. What a game and effort from coaches, players alike. We got to see some exotic formations with Ekeler in the slot, we got to see some complex designed blitz packages and some old tried and true plays with new faces. I truly believe this team has turned the corner and learned how to win. How many games in the past have we seen them lose in some laughable way? Staley has changed the culture. Yes the run def is bad, but that is the core of Staley D. Keep the explosive plays low and make teams be perfect to win. Of course it never happens like we want, like they want, but the Chargers made superb in-game ajustments something that we are not accustomed to seeing as fans. I noticed Derwin moving outside to contain the edge and it slowed the rushing attack of ATL as the game went on. ASJ + Veto are playing with swagger and flexin on every pass defended. Its fun to watch. Herb is gaining velocity on passes fitting it in some tight windows and mutli headed rushing attack is keeping players fresh and limiting film for teams to zero in on. Each week the gameplan varies and the strategy evolves, take a gander...

The Good:
    4th quarter 7:40 on the clock, 2nd and 8 ball on 30yrd line
    This is Mdub's route all day everyday. I have seen this countless times, so to watch Palmer fill in perfectly makes it a good play.
    Carter in motion shows the def in zone coverage and its acutally this route that opens the hole by dragging the LB and the CB eyes his way. Palmer recognizes the hole, slows a couple of steps and jumps to high point the catch. Perfectly thrown pass yada yada. Watch ATL OLB and tell me the Chargers run game was not effective

The Bad:
    1st quarter 13.47 on the clock, 1st and 10 ball on 41 yard line
    Allgeier runs large on the right side. As i watch this play unfold its seems to be a combination of edge control loss and bad angles from Murray and Derwin add in Van Noy too. I have to wonder if Murray gets too amped up to hit someone and just hits VanNoy in the back. He clearly reads the play and run blitz and then i believe he gets held out wide. Derwin seems sleepy to attack the ball carrier until its too late and his angle is bad. Tranquill giving his best effort but he was at his limit. This defense really misses Bosa setting that edge and both Murray and Van Noy would be much more effective inside.

The Great:
    2nd quarter 12:15 on the clock, 3rd and 15 ball on 12 yard line
    This was it boys and girls. The moment the Chargers can flash something special when all the players do their job well.
    I'll start with the O-line. Sayler and Fieler handle the stunt and pass off seemlessly. Linsley doubles to help. Zion and Pip double the edge and then transfer to pickup the outside late rusher. At the top of Herbs drop he has Everett open for the easy dink and dunk. But Herb feels better, he gets hungry and steps up wanting Palmer in the soft zone. Bandy goin deep forces the Safties back and Palmer does and excellent job of sitting down in the hole and not running across the field into more coverage. Perfection on 3rd and 15. Perfection

Honorable Mentions:

Hon1
    Derwin gets a sack from great disguised blitz package and arrives with violence.

Hon2
    Carter catching in a very tight window. Herb is healing if he can throw it like this and i love Carters hands.

Bonus content:

I guess we will all have to spend a week watching Patterson run over Tranquill highlights (angry runs etc) so i wanted to showcase some plays that wont get highlights as well.
    The first play is the angry run:

but check out Tranq doin his job on these tough plays:

So yeah Tranq shake it off mate. I see you and I see your effort my man!

Finally the Chargers are not Charrrrgerrrrring and actualkly improving week to week. Props to Brandon Staley and staff getting wins with backups, keeping Herb upright with tight O-line calls and short but effective routes and run game. Its not all perfect, but when it is - its something of beauty. We are being treated to the birds eye view of strong depth being created and coached up. These backups making plays now in week 9 will become the 1 off crazy plays that win games in the playoffs. I call it now.

As always
    Luv ya
    -Chillies
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Can't wait to have a good look at all of this tomorrow NMC.
    Gotta sleep now.
    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• nomad1946
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2017
      • West Yellowstone, Montana
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Again, thank you NMC. Great work as always. You did not have an ugly segment or would that be the angry run?

Comment

• jubei
        Vagabond Ninja
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

thnx chili. I always enjoy these, especially after a win. This run D DEFINITELY has to get its head outa its ass as the explosive plays are coming from opponents running the ball. but really that D shoulda brought in extra LBers or Dline and dared mariota to pass cuz he couldnt hit the broadside of a barn.

Comment

• UtahBolt
          Did we win?
          • Jun 2013
          • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
          • Send PM

Thanks as always NMC!

Watching "The Bad", doesn't it seem that Murray is the centerpiece of these breakdowns week after week? Watch him on this play you have showcased, WTF is he doing? Over and over again Murray is out of position, takes bad angles, guesses the wrong hole, gets himself blocked and/or misses tackles. I just don't get it, let's give Reeder a shot here? Maybe with this new DJ as edge look we will limit Murray's snaps? But damn the guy is such a liability!
          I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• Heatmiser
            HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Chillies, I know you have heard it before but you do a great job with these and we all really appreciate it. I look forward each week to these threads you do for the games during the season. Thanks brother!

TG
            Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Craig440
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2019
              • Send PM

Great job once again NMC. Thanks.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                Outback Goon
                • Sep 2018
                • Australia
                • Send PM

Originally posted by nomad1946 View Post
                Again, thank you NMC. Great work as always. You did not have an ugly segment or would that be the angry run?
                MY mistake

Title should be "The Great" instead of "The Ugly" since we won

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                  Outback Goon
                  • Sep 2018
                  • Australia
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by UtahBolt View Post
                  Thanks as always NMC!

Watching "The Bad", doesn't it seem that Murray is the centerpiece of these breakdowns week after week? Watch him on this play you have showcased, WTF is he doing? Over and over again Murray is out of position, takes bad angles, guesses the wrong hole, gets himself blocked and/or misses tackles. I just don't get it, let's give Reeder a shot here? Maybe with this new DJ as edge look we will limit Murray's snaps? But damn the guy is such a liability!
                  You notice what i notice

I dont want to pick on the guy but he is really making mental errors on the outside. Still i have seen him make excellent plays and hope he can string them together. I do remember previous years (2020 i think?) where Adderly was the one making the mental mistakes and now he is solid. Murray can turn this around

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by UtahBolt View Post
                    Thanks as always NMC!

K9 and Van Noy both failed to keep themselves clean and stop Allgeier. First, Van Noy (yellow) at the snap is supposed to set the edge:

van noy and k9 allow sweep 1.JPG

But no. Instead, Van Noy charges inside instead of waiting to see which lane Algeier has committed to. Meanwhile, K9 (red) also gets tied up with a blocker:

van noy and k9 allow sweep 2.JPG

Algeier (blue) has open field ahead of him for a big gainer. Even though K9 was reckless here, I blame Van Noy even more for not staying clean and protecting the edge.
                    Last edited by Topcat; 11-10-2022, 07:58 AM.

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

Thanks NMC. We all appreciate your work.

the three pass plays you selected stood out to me during the game and made me think that’s the healthy Herbert. Looked like his old self delivering the ball on time and with accuracy and velocity. The hesitation was gone.

tranquil had a really good game. The truck play for a TD took away from how effective he was. Seems like he could be a good for a sack a game .

finally, enough said about Murray on the run play. It seemed that both OL were occupied with Van Noy and if he’d just dipped outside it would have been a 2 yard gain instead of 41.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
                        But Herb feels better, he gets hungry and steps up wanting Palmer in the soft zone.
                        Herbie STEPPING UP, moving even a bit from the pocket, also helps buy him more time...agree--Salyer handled that stunt like a 10-year pro...and Pip also nice play to pick up that late rusher and mirror him to the outside...Pip finally figuring it out...hope he heals up that ankle soon...

Comment

Working...
                        X