• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post
    I’m just confused why they didn’t at least get a 6th or 7th for him instead of nothing by waiving him after the deadline? Makes me bang my head a little more, especially the word on the street was a lot of teams were inquiring about him.
    Looks like Tillery started sulking AFTER the trade deadline...

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jaguarmanftype View Post
      I find it strange that we always seem to find and/or create malcontents every several years who just quit on the team or altogether. We've had Trevor Williams, Antonio Cromartie, Eric Weddle, Desmond King, Donald Butler, Jared Gaither, Jatavis Brown, and now Tillery. We've sent Adrian Phillips, Weddle, Nwosu, White, Cromartie and others packing, and they seemingly found new life afterwards.
      The only "new life" Jared "Big Lazy" Gaither found after the Bolts cut him was retirement...

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2020
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

The only "new life" Jared "Big Lazy" Gaither found after the Bolts cut him was retirement...
        Oh, I know. What's surprising is I remember him in an interview back in the day bashing the Chargers right after his stint here even though he basically checked out after getting a huge payday here. The most vocal cynics I remember are Cromartie, then Weddle and most recently, King. Even LT was sour on the Chargers organization for a brief period in his first year with the Jets. Donald Butler checked out after getting paid and promptly getting injured the season after, I don't think he could even pass a physical with other teams, but he had a couple decent years as an ILB. Trevor Williams was sour that he never got a contract extension even though he was injured, but he did play well prior to that.
        Last edited by jaguarmanftype; 11-11-2022, 10:19 PM.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
          Five DTs went off the board in the first 20 picks in the 2019 draft. Only one has been a Pro Bowl player - Jeffrey Simmons - the 5th one picked at #19. Tillery was the sixth DT picked, at #28. The Chargers picked two DTs in that draft (Cortez Broughton in 7th). Neither are with the team. Broughton is out of football. Picks 2-5 in that draft were Adderley, Pipkins, Tranquill and Stick. Emeke Egbule, taken in the 6th round, is also out of football.

It appears Telesco's priorities in that draft were IDL, S, LB, OT and backup QB. But the strength of the draft were 2nd round WRs - Deebo Samuel, AJ Brown, Mecole Hardman, DK Metcalf. Dionte Johnson was taken with the 1st pick of the 3rd round, Terry McLauren two picks later. But having drafted Mike Williams No. 7 overall in 2017 and with Keenan Allen having put his injuries behind him and making Pro Bowls again, WR was not a priority.

I still maintain that if Telesco had not drafted Tillery he would've drafted Drew Lock, who went to Denver 14 picks later. So, a wasted pick it was, but I will always regard Tillery as the man who saved us from Drew Lock, which led to the drafting of Herbert.
          I don't think we would of picked Lock but that's me. I didn't like Lock or any of the QBs from this class as a Rivers successor and just felt they had to feel the same way about this class. It wasn't good.

Instead of Tillery, we could of picked OT Kaleb McGary, Deebo, or AJ Brown(I wanted a WR from this class). OT Dalton Risner was a favorite here.

Not sure how he is doing overall in Denver but he has been a starter and it took Pip 3 years to be a good starter for us.

Comment

• Xenos
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by jaguarmanftype View Post

Oh, I know. What's surprising is I remember him in an interview back in the day bashing the Chargers right after his stint here even though he basically checked out after getting a huge payday here. The most vocal cynics I remember are Cromartie, then Weddle and most recently, King. Even LT was sour on the Chargers organization for a brief period in his first year with the Jets. Donald Butler checked out after getting paid and promptly getting injured the season after, I don't think he could even pass a physical with other teams, but he had a couple decent years as an ILB. Trevor Williams was sour that he never got a contract extension even though he was injured, but he did play well prior to that.
            Players complaining after they leave a team is normal. I don’t think we have that high of an average compared to other teams. There are former Patriots who complain about Bill Belichick including Tom Brady.

Comment

• QuiteFrankly
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2022
              • Send PM

Who knows what happened but I do recall the draft pick...a tackle with his height..just did not see it...maybe an end...anyway...that draft pick could have been used on someone more useful. He was the 28th overall pick. Out of Notre Dame...heck when in doubt just pick an Alabama guy.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by QuiteFrankly View Post
                Who knows what happened but I do recall the draft pick...a tackle with his height..just did not see it...maybe an end...anyway...that draft pick could have been used on someone more useful. He was the 28th overall pick. Out of Notre Dame...heck when in doubt just pick an Alabama guy.
                The two Oregon guys who ended up on San Fran are taller and lighter.
                Tillery had a rep for being a bit of a head case at Notre Dame which evidently never went away.

Outside of that one Stanford game, from my perspective Tillery produced very little in college.

I wonder which representative at Notre Dame convinced the Chargers on Tillery?

Telesco and staff thought they were getting valuable inside information with their 'connections' there.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2021
                  • Send PM

It’s a real mind fuck reading the team received numerous trade offers for Tillery before the deadline and instead waived him for nothing.

Couple that with not getting a WR before the deadline and you just shake your head in exasperation over the Telesco/ Spanos malpractice.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Except for someone like Leatherwood...

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Those guys dont always work out either lol.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post
                        It’s a real mind fuck reading the team received numerous trade offers for Tillery before the deadline and instead waived him for nothing.

Couple that with not getting a WR before the deadline and you just shake your head in exasperation over the Telesco/ Spanos malpractice.
                        What they might have been offering was at best a 7th round pick - perhaps, conditional;
                        or the we'll trade our trash for your's deal.

Teams probably look hard at guys whose 5th year option was declined, hoping to give up essentially zip;
                        the thought being that they might get more out of these players in a 'better' situation.
                        Last edited by powderblueboy; 11-12-2022, 10:36 AM.

Comment

• Berserker76
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2019
                          • Send PM

Yep, that's what many of you guys were saying at the draft: TT just drafted a head-case of a tackle that's too tall. Nothing like insider information.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍