• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Waiving him the same week we lose half our defensive line is just to Charger to make up
    If Tillery hadn’t been waived would you feel that much better about losing otito and christian?

if anything, the guy that outplayed tillery in training camp (gaziano) will now take his place on that 53 man roster, that’s a win in my book…then you go out and sign a couple of vets and the D-line could end up being better than it was with tillery-otito-covington combo on the roster.

I like what we have already in gaziano, joseph-day, fehoko, and fox…there’s a possibility we could actually improve upon the other two spots with some veteran help. Coming out of camp I had gaziano over tillery and fehoko over covington…the big loss was the one we suffered when austin johnson went down…

bring back linval joseph and someone else with experience and the defensive line could be almost as good as what we started the year with…
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• jamrock
      lawyers, guns and money
      • Sep 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

If Tillery hadn’t been waived would you feel that much better about losing otito and christian?

if anything, the guy that outplayed tillery in training camp (gaziano) will now take his place on that 53 man roster, that’s a win in my book…then you go out and sign a couple of vets and the D-line could end up being better than it was with tillery-otito-covington combo on the roster.

I like what we have already in gaziano, joseph-day, fehoko, and fox…there’s a possibility we could actually improve upon the other two spots with some veteran help. Coming out of camp I had gaziano over tillery and fehoko over covington…the big loss was the one we suffered when austin johnson went down…

bring back linval joseph and someone else with experience and the defensive line could be almost as good as what we started the year with…
      Let’s see what we get. Yes listing Tito and Covington would be slightly softened if we still had Tillery. Fehoko and Gaziano are practice squad guys. Neither beat out Tillery. So we’re really down 4 DL not the 3 lost to injury. The timing of it is what I meant by Charger luck. But sure, let’s go get some other practice squad guys or maybe a guy that wasn’t even playin on ball. That’s all we can do now. But I’d be very pleasantly surprised if we somehow came out better. At best we put a finger in the leak and hope against hope that no one else goes down and Bosa actually makes it back. Of course it’s too much to ask that he come back on schedule or slightly ahead of schedule

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Air Coryell View Post

Yes, but they should have know what they have in Tillary. If this board was told that a player on the team threw a tantrum; most would have guessed it was Tillary.
        Nope, the trade Keenan crowd would of guessed Keenan.
        11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia
        35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
        37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
        66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
        69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
        100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
        110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
        140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
        181 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Mississippi
        225 Josh Procter S-Ohio st /253 Dwight McGlothern CB -Ar​

Comment

• jamrock
          lawyers, guns and money
          • Sep 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Nope, the trade Keenan crowd would of guessed Keenan.
          First he’d have to play before he complained about playing time.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
            Charger Fan since 1978
            • Sep 2021
            • Send PM

Let’s see what we get. Yes listing Tito and Covington would be slightly softened if we still had Tillery. Fehoko and Gaziano are practice squad guys. Neither beat out Tillery. So we’re really down 4 DL not the 3 lost to injury. The timing of it is what I meant by Charger luck. But sure, let’s go get some other practice squad guys or maybe a guy that wasn’t even playin on ball. That’s all we can do now. But I’d be very pleasantly surprised if we somehow came out better. At best we put a finger in the leak and hope against hope that no one else goes down and Bosa actually makes it back. Of course it’s too much to ask that he come back on schedule or slightly ahead of schedule
            I disagree, both out performed tillery in TC, but those two are UDRFAs and tillery was a first round pick, LOL.

The D-line lost big when johnson went down but going forward from what we had after losing johnson (covington, tillery, and otito) the d-line is probably going to be deeper with gaziano and whatever two vets they bring in…
            "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

First he’d have to play before he complained about playing time.
              I saw the word "tantrum" and was replying to that.
              11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia
              35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
              37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
              66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
              69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
              100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
              110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
              140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
              181 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Mississippi
              225 Josh Procter S-Ohio st /253 Dwight McGlothern CB -Ar​

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

I disagree, both out performed tillery in TC, but those two are UDRFAs and tillery was a first round pick, LOL.

The D-line lost big when johnson went down but going forward from what we had after losing johnson (covington, tillery, and otito) the d-line is probably going to be deeper with gaziano and whatever two vets they bring in…
                So your opinion is that the coaches kept playing Tillery ahead of both of those guys because of where he was drafted instead of based on who was better? That’s bizarre

Comment

• foreigner
                  Tom Telesco is gone
                  • Sep 2013
                  • Send PM

So your opinion is that the coaches kept playing Tillery ahead of both of those guys because of where he was drafted instead of based on who was better? That’s bizarre
                  Unfortunately those kind of things happen in the NFL...

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

My theory only Spanos kept Tillery ahead of other players as he was a sunk cost

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                      Charger Fan since 1978
                      • Sep 2021
                      • Send PM

John and Dean Spanos have requested a name change, from this point forward they’ll be known as john and dean bizarre…

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                        • Send PM

Tillery's value was as a situational pass rusher from the middle of the DL. That's about it. With Bosa and Mack on the edges, on 3rd and long, having Tillery in at DL to provide pressure from the middle, the prospect of having that was very tantalizing, and it was part of the plan going into this season, to play from ahead with the Chargers' offense expected to be off the charts, to have that devastating pass rush when teams had to play catch up. This is why they wanted to keep Tillery - he was the only IDL on the roster who could effectively rush the passer from the middle. But Staley saw him in that one role only. Tillery thought differently, that he should be a full time player. But he was delusional. He was a liability in run defense. He didn't want to face and accept that.

I never understood Tillery as a full time DT, a run stopper, which is what you expect when you draft a DT in the first round. He's too tall (6-6) and too light (295) to be effective as a run-lane clogger. For that you want a guy who is shorter, with a low center of gravity, and a wide-ass body who can take on blocks from +300 lb OL and not be moved. Tillery is tall and lean. His center of gravity is too high and he doesn't have enough "mass in the ass" for that role.

But pass blocking is different than run blocking. When an OL run blocks, they want to move DL off the run lane and open a hole. I explained why Tillery was not suited for that above. But when an OL pass blocks, they are stepping backward to protect their QB, not trying to move you off the line. In this situation, Tillery's body type worked to his advantage over OL. He was fairly effective as a pass rusher up the middle, and that is the only reason he was still on the roster. Too bad we never got to see Bosa and Mack rushing from the outside and Tillery pushing up the middle on third and long after the Chargers' offense built a lead. It woulda/coulda been great.

Comment

• ghost
                          The Rise of Kellen Moore
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

My theory only Spanos kept Tillery ahead of other players as he was a sunk cost

download.jpeg

Wee John.png

Just making the point that none of these people should still be with the organization in any capacity. No matter who your Daddy is.

Comment

Working...
                          X