• Show
Clear All
  • Fleet 1
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Kauai
    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Herbert's health and mobility is our ticket to ride.
    We are gonna need to score a lot of points the next two Sunday nights.
    I didnt even know this game was a SNF game. lol Niners are loaded. And that team has a few ways of gashing you in the run game. But you know Staley says the only reason our run D sucks is because we give up the long runs. Outside of that they are amazing. lol I get it though...its always the players faults. I keep saying it but i feel like the Packers/Rams game in 2020 was the blueprint to kill a Staley defense. Just run run run.

But im excited. Im ready for some Charger Football. Win lose or draw.

Comment

• Fleet 1
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Kauai
      • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post

while there are more plays in the pocket i see less play action called. Seems Herb doesnt want to turn his back on def and twist his body much. When i see more PA deep shots i know Herb is healed
      Another good point brother. Whole thing is off. The Keenan cog being out has the entire engine sputtering.

Comment

• beachcomber
        & ramblin' man
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

clever/creative, and.... not buyin' the Clydesdale narrative.... we had Guyton and Lombo chose not to make it a point of emphasis.

am sure the stats/metrics support dink 'n dunk, and.... there is more to the empirical world than numbers.... players respond to the longball/intermediate strikes.... like dunks off fastbreaks.

Charger football is throwing the ball, and for god's sake.... we have the Golden god @QB.
        RT Taliese Fuaga, DT Jer'Zhan Newton, NT T'Vondre Sweat, LB Cedric Gray, TE Ben Sinnott, RB Daijun Edwards, FS Cole Bishop, QB Joe Milton

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post

Just want to see JH on more roll outs. I really love watching him make plays outside the pocket. The idea of forcing him to stay in the pocket to protect his ribs? Kind of made no sense to me when someone debated that with me. I think he is more protected when he sees whats in front of him. And it buys time for our slow WRs to finish routes. Simple stuff to me.
          Right...and sometimes, Herbie doesn't even need to do a full roll-out...just stepping up into the pocket, or a few steps to the side of the pocket--wherever there's space to buy more time--can make a difference...

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post

while there are more plays in the pocket i see less play action called. Seems Herb doesnt want to turn his back on def and twist his body much. When i see more PA deep shots i know LOMBO IS GONE (Herb is healed)
            There...fixed it for 'ya!

Comment

• Fleet 1
              TPB Founder
              • Jun 2013
              • Kauai
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Right...and sometimes, Herbie doesn't even need to do a full roll-out...just stepping up into the pocket, or a few steps to the side of the pocket--wherever there's space to buy more time--can make a difference...
              I feel like he has to work through a lot of trash lately and tends to just doink guys for batted down passes. I just think he plays a little more clean when he moves out. I think he sees the field better. What he has out there is not exactly wide open WRs. We dont have great players out there right now. Just him and Ek. Good to see Palmer step up. No chess pieces really. Not with Keenan out. I dont think MW needs a double.

Its unfortunate...and Lombardi leaves a lot to be desired...and while i still dont trust that Herbert is getting great coaching...he is getting great experience. With what he has to work with? Rivers did a lot of that and i think it made him a complete field general. Herbert is a sponge. I think if and when we are healthy the struggles will fade and Herbs will be better for it.

As long as we dont allow him to develop the negatives too much...this is great exp for him. Like going to the shooting range and shooting tiny targets....then when KA and MW are back the targets get massive. lol Fleets crazy analogies.

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post

I feel like he has to work through a lot of trash lately and tends to just doink guys for batted down passes. I just think he plays a little more clean when he moves out. I think he sees the field better. What he has out there is not exactly wide open WRs. We dont have great players out there right now. Just him and Ek. Good to see Palmer step up. No chess pieces really. Not with Keenan out. I dont think MW needs a double.

Its unfortunate...and Lombardi leaves a lot to be desired...and while i still dont trust that Herbert is getting great coaching...he is getting great experience. With what he has to work with? Rivers did a lot of that and i think it made him a complete field general. Herbert is a sponge. I think if and when we are healthy the struggles will fade and Herbs will be better for it.

As long as we dont allow him to develop the negatives too much...this is great exp for him. Like going to the shooting range and shooting tiny targets....then when KA and MW are back the targets get massive. lol Fleets crazy analogies.
                True...Rivers made dudes like Inman and Tutu look pretty good...

Comment

• Fleet 1
                  TPB Founder
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Kauai
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

True...Rivers made dudes like Inman and Tutu look pretty good...
                  Eric Parker etc.

Comment

• QuiteFrankly
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2022
                    • Send PM

Well is is probably kind of right. Something does seem to be wrong with these guys this year. With all the injuries its hard to tell. In particular I don't like how we still have Ekeler as our starter. All these years we could not find anyone else? Good little back at times but more a third downer IMO. We need a bigger guy especially at the goal line. We could use s Sproles type guy as well. Someone with blazing speed.

Comment

• Kellyb72601
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Sep 2019
                      • Send PM

I see his point but I can't disagree with a single thing they've tried to do the last 2 seasons:

1. Herbert was good in '20 but the Oline was crap. The front office did not want what happened to Rivers happen to Herbert. They decided to prioritize the Oline. Rivers didn't have an Oline the last 10 seasons he played here.

2. They are trying to follow the Saints model on offense. The Saints were always a balanced offense under Payton. A lot of people think of Paytons offense as a circus act throwing 50 times a game but that's not reality. Sean Payton is very much like Bill Parcells. He wants to be physical, run the ball, and control the game. The Saints always prioritized Oline with Payton and they were usually very balanced.

3. There is a lot of statistical support that offenses that control the game end up better off long term. This stat is pass completions + rushes. People complain about Lombardi's offense but it's proven successful and was a top 5 offense last year. Possessing the ball, controlling the game, running the ball, converting 3rd down. Pass completions + rushes.

4. Historically if you have a good QB and do a good job protecting that QB things work out just fine. I'd rather have a good QB and good Oline with average receivers then a good QB, bad Oline, and good receivers. Teams that protect the QB & can run the ball have good offenses. Hell, look at Cleveland. They're top 5 in EPA/play with Jacoby Brissett at QB and 1 ok receiver. The Zion draft pick was another move in that direction towards prioritizing Oline.

5. Nobody expected Mike Williams & Keenan Allen to both miss significant time. They were a top 5 passing offense last season. With those 2 guys healthy we probably wouldn't be having this discussion.

6. There are always good receivers available in free agency. It's easier to find receivers then good Olineman.

Comment

• 21&500
                        Bolt Spit-Baller
                        • Sep 2018
                        • A Whale's Vajayjay
                        • CMB refugee
                        • Send PM

I can live with a close loss,
                        but we need some respect
                        Praying we come out ready playing fast and physical.
                        Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• Hadl2Alworth
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Oct 2017
                          • Send PM

Picking a safety who can't tackle in the 3rd round over maybe a WR with speed still gets me a little frustrated.

Comment

Working...
                          X