Chargers @ Cardinals Pregame Thread (Week 12)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

think the above is a little over the top.... yes, young John is here to stay, and guessing he'd like to resign young Tom as well, and.... there are def some questions as to the wisdom/viability of that ??

and Stalesco is different than McVisor and/or Anthony Ray ?? were you singing the same tune halfway thru their respective campaigns ??

weren't we all served the same Kool-aid @the McCoy/Lynn midpoint as well ??

and does Dean keep the team "forever" ??

and what about the vet/esteemed players in the clubhouse.... are you so certain that they are "down" w/their HC ??

Staley is McLynn, without the early successes.
    Telesco is just the extended continuam of the Steve Ortmayer era,
    John Boy reminds me of Bob Dylan's line about being helpless like a rich man's child.

Other than the Cincy win from last year, in the last 22 games we have seen inconsistent and uninspiring football as the trademark.

Imagine being a fan of Charger football without the Gilliam, Coryell, Bobby Ross or Marty Schottenheimer eras:
    just a grey continuity of mediocrity, punctuated occasionally with the stars being aligned and making the playoffs.

Imagine being a fan of the Las Vegas Raiders: constantly maintaining your interest in the belief that next year (or the next few games)
    will be the turnaround.

For the first time in a long time, if they are all back next year, I will have zero expectations going into a season.
    I'll find something else to do with my time for a team no longer in San Diego and without P.R.

And that is my response to the cult here who demand happy thoughts.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Staley is McLynn, without the early successes.
      Telesco is just the extended continuam of the Steve Ortmayer era,
      John Boy reminds me of Bob Dylan's line about being helpless like a rich man's child.

Other than the Cincy win from last year, in the last 22 games we have seen inconsistent and uninspiring football as the trademark.

Imagine being a fan of Charger football without the Gilliam, Coryell, Bobby Ross or Marty Schottenheimer eras:
      just a grey continuity of mediocrity, punctuated occasionally with the stars being aligned and making the playoffs.

Imagine being a fan of the Las Vegas Raiders: constantly maintaining your interest in the belief that next year (or the next few games)
      will be the turnaround.

For the first time in a long time, if they are all back next year, I will have zero expectations going into a season.
      I'll find something else to do with my time for a team no longer in San Diego and without P.R.

And that is my response to the cult here who demand happy thoughts.
      Well said. I'll still watch and root for them for every week, but I have gotten to the point where I just shake my head and realize hoping to win a Super Bowl with this ownership, front office, and coaching staff is as realistic as me turning into Superman and flying all over the world, with Miss America clinging to my back.

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

think the above is a little over the top.... yes, young John is here to stay, and guessing he'd like to resign young Tom as well, and.... there are def some questions as to the wisdom/viability of that ??

and Stalesco is different than McVisor and/or Anthony Ray ?? were you singing the same tune halfway thru their respective campaigns ??

weren't we all served the same Kool-aid @the McCoy/Lynn midpoint as well ??

and does Dean keep the team "forever" ??

and what about the vet/esteemed players in the clubhouse.... are you so certain that they are "down" w/their HC ??

You totally don't understand what I am saying. My point is that if you are pulling your hair out over the way the Spanoses manage the franchise you are better off finding another team to be a fan of, because the Spanos family is not going to change, they aren't going to sell the franchise, John Spanos is going to remain in charge. If you've reached a point that your anger with the decisions they've made and continue to make is causing you mental distress, then walk away. There are some posters here who are completely negative about this team, Telesco and the Spanoses. They thrive on that negativity, and I'm just saying to them your mental health is more important than the Chargers, the same I'd advise a player who's suffered too many concussions to walk away from the game.

To remain a sane fan of the Chargers you have to accept the Spanoses are going to Spanos, and you have to hold out some hope that the way they do things might actually work at some point and the team will win a Super Bowl. That doesn't mean you can't be critical of the Spanoses, Telesco or Staley or the decisions they make. But if you expect massive changes in the way they do things and this drives massive anger in you - and some posters here have reached that point - then, again, I advise you to walk away.

I'm sticking around because I see a kernel of a chance with this team. Staley wasn't ready to be a head coach when he was hired. But he is tough and smart and is learning from his mistakes. I see full buy-in from the players, especially in these past two games against teams who may be the best in their respective conferences. Telesco has made mistakes, but I also believe he is constrained by the limitations imposed by the ownership structure and the financial realities of it. I continue to believe if injured players return - Keenan, Mike Will, Parham, Kelley and Bosa - this team will be formidable at season's end.

But if you are at the point that you believe the team will never achieve anything under the Spanos family ownership and they are going to waste Herbert's career, while I can definitely understand that point of view, I question why you are still here posting and advise that for your own mental health to walk away.

Comment

• powderblueboy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

Well said. I'll still watch and root for them for every week, but I have gotten to the point where I just shake my head and realize hoping to win a Super Bowl with this ownership, front office, and coaching staff is as realistic as me turning into Superman and flying all over the world, with Miss America clinging to my back.
          Don't give up that hope DB, it just might happen some day!

Ignore the pessimists and doubters. :nod:

Comment

• QSmokey
            Guardedly Optimistic
            • Jun 2013
            • Kuna, Idaho
            • Retired
            • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Pessimists aren't.
            "Funny" wasn't meant as a compliment, Roo.

Comment

• Berserker76
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2019
              • Send PM

Guys, maybe we should try and stick to the pre-game thread topic? I know, I'm as guilty as anyone.

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

^^^people like us who post on forums and pay attention to every play and team move don’t just move on from a team. It’s generally embedded in our psyche. It has been a virus passed down from my father and since as far back as I can remember I’ve been a Charger fan. And for me, and probably others, it’s something we shared with family and friends and bonded over in good times and bad. Unfortunately for the chargers a lot of that has been the expectation of chargering in big moments. But talk to any soccer fan and they’ll laugh at your suggestion that a Fam move on from the team. I’ve been a fan since before Spanos owned the team and will be one after they are gone. And contrary to your prediction I think that day will come. But don’t count on it changing things dramatically for the franchise. Gene Klein traded John Jefferson and wouldn’t pay Fred Dean.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

A. To remain a sane fan of the Chargers you have to accept the Spanoses are going to Spanos, and B.you have to hold out some hope that the way they do things might actually work at some point and the team will win a Super Bowl. C. That doesn't mean you can't be critical of the Spanoses, Telesco or Staley or the decisions they make. D. But if you expect massive changes in the way they do things and this drives massive anger in you - and some posters here have reached that point - then, again, I advise you to walk away.

E. I'm sticking around because I see a kernel of a chance with this team. Staley wasn't ready to be a head coach when he was hired. But he is tough and smart and is learning from his mistakes. I see full buy-in from the players, especially in these past two games against teams who may be the best in their respective conferences. Telesco has made mistakes, but I also believe he is constrained by the limitations imposed by the ownership structure and the financial realities of it. I continue to believe if injured players return - Keenan, Mike Will, Parham, Kelley and Bosa - this team will be formidable at season's end.

But if you are at the point that you believe the team will never achieve anything under the Spanos family ownership and they are going to waste Herbert's career, while I can definitely understand that point of view, I question why you are still here posting and advise that for your own mental health to walk away.
                  A. Learned helplessness
                  B. The old triumph of hope over experience bit
                  C. Pointless quibble of procedures over results is evidently allowed
                  D. White washing the 'other' camp as being massively angry people in all this.
                  E. Better days ahead promise: Charlie Brown will finally be able to kick the old football.
                  F. The love it or leave it gambit: i actually agree with the final point Velo, but everything you write down here is one cliche after another.

Comment

• QSmokey
                    Guardedly Optimistic
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Kuna, Idaho
                    • Retired
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

No, they are actually just kind of sad. Living life looking at the negative side of everything is just a horrible way to go through life, IMO.
                    Negative side of "everything"? Rooting for the Chargers is "everything" in my life? That's funny, rich.

But in regards to the team, I would like to see positive changes in the culture. If the movie is bad, I give it bad reviews. If a restaurant sucks, I give it bad reviews. If the team sucks, I give them bad reviews. If something is broken, I'd like to see it fixed. I'm calling it like I see it. And my view is actually more accurate than the Pollyanna's...prove me wrong on that. Posting optimistically in the face of this train wreck of a team is not going help the team win; it's kind of silly, actually. And it's certainly not going to make me feel better about the Chargers. They are what they are. And until that changes, that's the way they are going to stay.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo
                      The Chargers have beaten the Cards three straight, all with Rivers at QB, two of them blowouts.

In 2018 the Chargers fell behind 10-0 but eventually won 45-10. Rivers threw three TD passes. Josh Rosen was the Cards' QB.

In 2014 the Chargers beat the Parson Calmer Cards 18-17. Gates had a big day.

In 2010 the Chargers won 41-10 on Gates' 144-yard, 2 TD day. The Cards' QB was Max Hall.
                      We actually lost to the Cardinals in the second game of the Monday Night doubleheader at the start of 2014 season.

I apologize for my negativity.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Berserker76 View Post
                        Guys, maybe we should try and stick to the pre-game thread topic? I know, I'm as guilty as anyone.
                        Its gotten to the point that Berserker is asking for calmness and reason.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

We actually lost to the Cardinals in the second game of the Monday Night doubleheader at the start of 2014 season.

I apologize for my negativity.
                          I remember that game.... I spent it in a sports bar in El Segundo. Lots of hope and positive reactions after that narrow loss.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍