• Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

The Chargers' First Great QB, John Hadl, Dead At Age 82 - RIP Sir

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/j...6-year-career/

Hadl played in the league for 16 seasons, the majority of which was with the San Diego Chargers where he was a five-time Pro Bowler.
    Hadl was selected with the No. 10 overall pick in the 1962 NFL Draft by the Detroit Lions, but chose to play with San Diego instead... At the time of his retirement, Hadl ranked third all time in passing yardswith 33,503.
    Hadl was 21 before No. 21.

e077f93b-0618-4fc7-ac40-ad71d2d612f9-john_hadl.JPG?crop=2699,1518,x1,y216&width=2699&height=1518&format=pjpg&auto=webp.jpg
  • chargeroo
    Fan since 1961
    • Jan 2019
    • Oregon
    • Retired Manager/Pastor
    • Send PM

Hadl was very good. When we discuss our best QB's we often leave him out but we shouldn't, he was just as successful as Dan, Stan, and Philip. He was a great all-around guy. He played Halfback as well as QB at Kansas. He hated the raiders and played fiercely against them. John was a favorite of mine. I hope he made it to heaven.
    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
      Hadl was very good. When we discuss our best QB's we often leave him out but we shouldn't, he was just as successful as Dan, Stan, and Philip. He was a great all-around guy. He played Halfback as well as QB at Kansas. He hated the raiders and played fiercely against them. John was a favorite of mine. I hope he made it to heaven.
      Hadl's lifetime completion percentage with the Chargers was barely above 50%. He threw more INTs (211) than TD passes (201). But that was a different era. A QB who completed 50 percent of his passes and had 1-1 TD-INT ratio was considered pretty good. Hadl led the AFL twice in passing and the NFL once. Hadl was Bambi's main QB in his career.

Comment

• Air Coryell
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2021
        • Carlsbad, CA
        • Teacher, Coach, CFO
        • Send PM

The original #21. Hadl to Allworth and Garrison. Saw him play many times. Those charger teams were entertaining, but a cut below the Raiders and Chiefs. RIP John.

Comment

• Bolt-O
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

RIP John Hadl. I barely remember watching him play, a very good QB. #21 was retired because of LT, but is shared with Hadl.

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

I was a Rams fan when Hadl became their QB. Loved watching him heave those long bombs to Harold Jackson...RIP...one of the true greats...

Comment

• charger1_sj
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2022
              • Send PM

RIP John Hadl. He eventually prevailed over Tobin Rote and Jack Kemp. Unfortunately Kemp with the Bills beat us twice in the AFL championship game. But Hadl to Alworth: A Chargers classic.

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

Really the era of my original love for the chargers with John Hadl to Alworth and the Gary “the ghost” Garrison with Dickie Post and Keith Lincoln and Paul Lowe for good measure. Fun time to be a Charger fan. Unfortunately the Chiefs and Raiders weee very good at the same time

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Air Coryell View Post
                  The original #21. Hadl to Allworth and Garrison. Saw him play many times. Those charger teams were entertaining, but a cut below the Raiders and Chiefs. RIP John.
                  You beat me to it with the Len Dawson Chiefs and daryle lamonica the original mad bomber for the raiders.

Comment

• Craig440
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2019
                    • Send PM

He had an indoor pool that you had to go thru his bedroom to get to. It was kind of weird. Good guy.

RIP ole friend.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Nov 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Air Coryell View Post
                      We won the 1963 AFL championship with Hadl. At the time the Bills and Oilers were the teams to beat. KC and Oak caught up in 1965 and thereafter.

o

Comment

• MakoShark
                        Disgruntled
                        • Jun 2013
                        • North Alabama
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                        If I recall correctly he was also a good punter and still holds a Kansas record. Great QB during a tough Era to put up big stats. Defenses used to mug receivers.

Great Charger and Jayhawk! RIP...
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X