• jox g
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2020
    • Send PM

Perfect Example of Spanos Football "Expertise"

I wrote to John and Dean today. This is what I "said."

Subject: Yrs Experience at time of hire for OC's & Dc's for Dabol vs Staley

DC - Martindale (Mostly Balt) since 2018 vs Renaldo Hill - 0 yrs
    OC - Mike Kafka (Mostly KC) 2 yrs Pass Game Coordinator vs Lombo 1.5 (Lions)
    Special Teams Coaches - Since 2014 for Dabol's guy. 0 yrs for Staleys guy.

Can you please Ask the HC candidate who he plans to have as his OC, DC, ST. IF he gives you inexperienced guys, please DO NOT consider him because he's
    too proud/not smart.

Dabol is humble enough (and smart enough to hire experienced guys!) Even retained the NYG ST coach (who was there since 2014)

This kind of thing is what Charger fans get PO'd about because it shows a lack of football sense. Pls take this advice. Thank you.
  • jox g
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2020
    • Send PM

Originally posted by jox g View Post
    I wrote to John and Dean today. This is what I "said."

Subject Yrs Experience at time of hire for OC's & Dc's for Dabol vs Staley:
    DC - Martindale (Mostly Balt) since 2018 vs Renaldo Hill - 0 yrs
    OC - Mike Kafka (Mostly KC) 2 yrs Pass Game Coordinator vs Lombo 1.5 (Lions)
    Special Teams Coaches - Since 2014 for Dabol's guy. 0 yrs for Staleys guy.

Can you please Ask the HC candidate who he plans to have as his OC, DC, ST. IF he gives you inexperienced guys, please DO NOT consider him because he's
    too proud/not smart.

Dabol is humble enough (and smart enough to hire experienced guys!) Even retained the NYG ST coach (who was there since 2014)

Could you imagine?
    This kind of thing is what Charger fans get PO'd about because it shows a lack of football sense. Pls take this advice. Thank you.
    That's what our coaching staff would have looked like had they waited for Dabol to finish his playoff game (instead of Staley's inexperienced crew.) It's like buying a "fixer upper" for cheap vs a more "ready to move in clean home." You get what you pay for. Patience also pays.

The GIANTS are 28th in Passing offense. 7-4 and winning with less talent than the Bolts. Hope they can learn from their mishire.

Comment

• Air Coryell
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2021
      • Carlsbad, CA
      • Teacher, Coach, CFO
      • Send PM

What?? Wait....John has football experience...Bishop's School in La Jolla where he lettered in football as a wide receiver and defensive back. That qualifies him to run the Chargers.

Comment

• Rambler
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • No Cal
        • Civil Research Attorney
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Air Coryell View Post
        What?? Wait....John has football experience...Bishop's School in La Jolla where he lettered in football as a wide receiver and defensive back. That qualifies him to run the Chargers.
        It's just fortunate that we were able to snag a candidate with those credentials. We must have had an "in" that other teams just didn't have.

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
          • Send PM

The Chargers are 6-5 and very much in the playoff hunt after enduring a pandemic of injuries. I want to see how these next six games play out before coming to any conclusion about Staley.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Its an interesting take, not sure how far it goes to the validate the thread title. So you’re take is never hire a HC unless he has already pre-hired his Coordinators? Thats a thing?

Hill is unqualified imo but also probably not particularly empowered or responsible. Lombo is middle of pack and young - maybe upside maybe not. Get players to play better fundamentals and all of our coaches will miraculously become genius is what I think.

Especially on defense, what my naked eyes see are play after play after play where a Charger is put in position to make a play but doesn’t. Thats not scheme, there is no scheme to overcome Woods flailing to tackle a receiver in the open field. It struck a painful nerve as I watched AZ defenders make crisp decisive tackles to stop the ball carrier at the point of contact, while Chargers either launchwhiffed (Woods) or were dragged an extra 6+ yards before the ball carrier was down.

Then in Q4 players start tackling? WTF is that? Coaches didn’t install a tackling drill at halftime, thats the players.
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Riverwalk
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2021
              • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
              Its an interesting take, not sure how far it goes to the validate the thread title. So you’re take is never hire a HC unless he has already pre-hired his Coordinators? Thats a thing?

Hill is unqualified imo but also probably not particularly empowered or responsible. Lombo is middle of pack and young - maybe upside maybe not. Get players to play better fundamentals and all of our coaches will miraculously become genius is what I think.

Especially on defense, what my naked eyes see are play after play after play where a Charger is put in position to make a play but doesn’t. Thats not scheme, there is no scheme to overcome Woods flailing to tackle a receiver in the open field. It struck a painful nerve as I watched AZ defenders make crisp decisive tackles to stop the ball carrier at the point of contact, while Chargers either launchwhiffed (Woods) or were dragged an extra 6+ yards before the ball carrier was down.

Then in Q4 players start tackling? WTF is that? Coaches didn’t install a tackling drill at halftime, thats the players.
              While you didn’t acknowledge it, the title of this thread has a lot to do with your rant about players that have poor fundamentals like blocking and tackling.

It’s been this way for a decade while J. Spanos has been at the helm if you want to know where the buck stops.

Comment

• jox g
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Oct 2020
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Thanks for reply. It's more like this:
                Spanos: So Staley, if we hire you, who do you have in mind for OC
                Staley: Lombardi from the Saints
                Spanos (Thinking....Hmmmm 2014, (1 yr) + .5 yrs in 2015 (before getting fired)

Spanos: Who would your DC be?
                Staley: I was thinking I would call the plays. Install R. Hill (since he knows my scheme) as "DC" (title only.)
                Spanos: Thinking... Hmmmm. Dude wants to be HC AND DC. (Split duties. Bound to be a STEEP learning curve. After all, this isn't POP WARNER.")

Spanos: And your ST coordinator?
                Staley: Derius Swinton
                Spanos: Hold on ...lemme Google him....(opens laptop...Googles...Hmmmm Asst ST experience only.) So zero experience. I recall, we've had DUMB special teams play over the years and Staley wants to hire this guy? Hmmm

Spanos: Thanks for your time Staley. We will call you.

Waits for Dabol to finish Playoff game. Interviews him.
                Spanos: Same line of questioning.
                Dabol's OC (a steal from the Chiefs!) 2 yrs pass game coordinator (Under that ELITE coach Reid)! Pair him w/ Herbert! GIve us insights on our arch nemesis. Hmmmm.
                Dabol's DC: 4 yrs experience (As a stud ex RAVEN too). Bound to know that potential playoff team should we face them. Hmmmm
                ST Coordinator:8 yrs experience?! YES! We'e needed someone who knows what their doing.
                This hire is a *&(*)*S No Brainer!!! You're hired. I also like DaBolts as a cool name....we could sell some cool merch w/ that one!
                Good thing we are Football Savvy People! Lookout NFL!
                Herbert w/ these offensive firepower guys.
                Khalil Mack/Bosa/James etc w/ and ex RAVEN Defensive Mind!
                Experienced ST coaching!!!
                YES!!!

You're hired Brian Dabol!!! Welcome to the Charger Family....

Emailed it to Spani again. I will save and mail this if nothing changes for the better.
                Last edited by jox g; 12-02-2022, 02:08 PM.

Comment

• Riverwalk
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2021
                  • Send PM

More likely….

Staley: Here’s my budget costs for HC, OC, and DC

Spanos: You’re hired!

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by jox g View Post

Thanks for reply. It's more like this:
                    Spanos: So Staley, if we hire you, who do you have in mind for OC
                    Staley: Lombarid from the Saints
                    Spanos (Thinking....Hmmmm 2014, (1 yr) + .5 yrs in 2015 (before getting fired)

Spanos: Who would your DC be?
                    Staley: I was thinking I would call the plays. Install R. Hill (since he knows my scheme) as "DC" (title only.)
                    Spanos: Thinking... Hmmmm. Dude wants to be HC AND DC. (Split duties. Bound to be a STEEP learning curve. After all, this isn't POP WARNER.")

Spanos: And your ST coordinator?
                    Staley: Derius Swinton
                    Spanos: Hold on ...lemme Google him....(opens laptop...Googles...Hmmmm Asst ST experience only.) So zero experience. I recall, we've had DUMB special teams play over the years and Staley wants to hire this guy? Hmmm

Spanos: Thanks for your time Staley. We will call you.

Waits for Dabol to finish Playoff game. Interviews him.
                    Spanos: Same line of questioning.
                    Dabol's OC (a steal from the Chiefs!) 2 yrs pass game coordinator (Under that ELITE coach Reid)! Pair him w/ Herbert! GIve us insights on our arch nemesis. Hmmmm.
                    Dabol's DC: 4 yrs experience (As a stud ex RAVEN too). Bound to know that potential playoff team should we face them. Hmmmm
                    ST Coordinator:8 yrs experience?! YES! We'e needed someone who knows what their doing.
                    This hire is a *&(*)*S No Brainer!!! You're hired. I also like DaBolts as a cool name....we could sell some cool merch w/ that one!
                    Good thing we are Football Savvy People! Lookout NFL!
                    Herbert w/ these offensive firepower guys.
                    Khalil Mack/Bosa/James etc w/ and ex RAVEN Defensive Mind!
                    Experienced ST coaching!!!
                    YES!!!

You're hired Brian Dabol!!! Welcome to the Charger Family....

Emailed it to Spani again. I will save and mail this if nothing changes for the better.
                    Good points...especially the Swinton hire...smh...Spani need to start over again...and do it RIGHT this time...

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

While you didn’t acknowledge it, the title of this thread has a lot to do with your rant about players that have poor fundamentals like blocking and tackling.

It’s been this way for a decade while J. Spanos has been at the helm if you want to know where the buck stops.
                      I didnt say the title was false, only pondered if your particular example was the best support of the title or not. Easy there fella, lets hug it out.

Pop Tv Love GIF by Schitt's Creek
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Working...
                      X