Film Study: The Good, The Bad and The Great (week12 vs ARI)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NoMoreChillies
    Outback Goon
    • Sep 2018
    • Australia
    • Send PM

Film Study: The Good, The Bad and The Great (week12 vs ARI)

Welcome back diehards, week12 saw a nailbiter finish which Staley showed big balls and won it on 2pt conversion. I love it so much. Seeing Keenan Allen return to the lineup allowed Lombardi some luxury plays and he took full advantage of it schemeing guys open for 2 TD's and multiple good plays. I also noticed Herb running the ball more and twisting with play action swiftly, showcasing his healing ribs improvement. Austin Ekeler is just a beast and refuses to be stopped in the red zone. Big shout out to our Def stopping the full strength Cardinals team not once but 3 times in the 4th quarter. In game adjustments aplenty and players executing well provides us with a glimpse of the Chargers potential. The doors open, come inside...

The Good:
    2nd quarter 4:36 on the clock, 2nd and 9 ball on 33yrd line.
    Chargers align in 3x1 bunch formation. Carter in motion drags the LB (Simmons) with him. Because Carter ends his motion so wide it drops him from Simmons periphial vision who gets distracted by Palmer running right at him (prolly trying to cover the blitzing DB hole). Joshua Kelley misses the blitz pickup but Herb has that pocket presence and agility to avoid the rush, step up and hit a floating Carter wide open for the TD. When players execute

The Bad:
    1st quarter 2:42 on the clock, 3rd and 5 ball on 34yrd line.
    Chargers show all out blitz and then drop 2 into coverage. Hopkins pointing to Derwin blitzing and knows he getting the hot read. Troy Reeder is slow to bump Hopkins and JT Woods wiffs on the easy tackle. I dont expect the safety to blow him up (i miss Rodney Harrison) but making the tackle should be the floor here. Gillman jumps the wrong route and dont even get me started on whatever Murray tried to do at the end.

The Great:
    4th quarter 0:15 on the clock, 2pt conversion ball on 2yrd line.
    This is it. The go big or go home call. Balls of steel and I love it. After scoring the TD the play before, Ekeler in motion causes visible confusion on the Cards def. Keenan Allen draws the double team and the perfect timing of Ekeler coming out of the backfield and Everett cut inside forces the LB (Simmons) to pause and its all thats needed for the score. Check the defenders line of sight with Everett and Ekeler at that cut move. When players execute

Honorable Mentions:

Hon1
    Keenan Allen schemed open for TD. Check his precise acceleration the moment he sees Palmer move. The DB mirror has no chance to defend it.

Hon2
    Check out Vato icey veins as he shows no tell sign he gonna blitz. Kyler had no clue

awww yeah, victory tastes so sweet. Its also nice to see our depth players only having to make 1-3 plays per game instead of 6-9. Chargers are starting to gel ( lol i know ):troll:but they are improving each week. Setting the stage for a red hot run into the playoffs.
    Until next week
    As always
    luv ya
    -Chillies
  • dmac_bolt
    Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Thanks as always - I always enjoy your GBU threads.
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• FoutsFan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Birmingham AL
      • Send PM

Great breakdown as always.

Lots of good and definitely some bad.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Great work NMC.
        In awe.
        The details bring the game to life.
        You don't know ball

Comment

• Berserker76
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2019
          • Send PM

Great job, NMC. I miss so much in real-time, it's nice to have things slowed down for me.

Comment

• UtahBolt
            Did we win?
            • Jun 2013
            • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
            • Send PM

Another great break down...thanks as always!

I will admit that two point conversion (on the heels of Ek's TD) was a thing of genius. I give Lombo props for that play/package design and call.
            I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• jubei
              Vagabond Ninja
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

that was a really nice route ran by GE on the 2pt conversion...ran it like a RB...plant and sharp cut. And Vato's blitz was way out in left field. great disguise and he is playing really well.

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
                The Great:
                4th quarter 0:15 on the clock, 2pt conversion ball on 2yrd line.
                This is it. The go big or go home call. Balls of steel and I love it. After scoring the TD the play before, Ekeler in motion causes visible confusion on the Cards def. Keenan Allen draws the double team and the perfect timing of Ekeler coming out of the backfield and Everett cut inside forces the LB (Simmons) to pause and its all thats needed for the score. Check the defenders line of sight with Everett and Ekeler at that cut move. When players execute
                FINALLY! That's the kind of creative, misdirection-type play we need more of!!! Where's Lombo been keeping plays like this? In his playoff stash? More like this please...

Comment

• FoutsFan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Birmingham AL
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post
                  that was a really nice route ran by GE on the 2pt conversion...ran it like a RB...plant and sharp cut. And Vato's blitz was way out in left field. great disguise and he is playing really well.
                  He has been a very pleasant surprise this year after the dumpster fire he was last season.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Birmingham AL
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

FINALLY! That's the kind of creative, misdirection-type play we need more of!!! Where's Lombo been keeping plays like this? In his playoff stash? More like this please...
                    That was it, that was the only scheme players open play he had. We will have to wait 2 more seasons to see the next one.

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Good work, Chili. But let's not forget the UGLY: K9 is in perfect position to tackle Connor short of the goal line:

k9 whiff 1 vs cards for td.JPG

But no...he whiffs to allow the TD:

k9 whiff 2 vs cards.JPG

Ugh...K9 dogging it again...

Comment

• chargeroo
                        Fan since 1961
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Oregon
                        • Retired Manager/Pastor
                        • Send PM

Thanks again for the great analysis. I want to add that I wanted that two-point try, win or lose, that was the right call. Also, on that play, look at the protection for Herbert! Great job by the OL.
                        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡