Titans at Chargers Game Day Thread | Post Game Reaction (Wk 15)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jaguarmanftype
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2020
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

This is actually an interesting post. Nice angle. Utilizing Derwin as super-weapon causes other defenders to be less certain what their optimal role is as they are expected to make split-second decisions on plays?

That could be part of the too-clever design on paper vs inconsistent actual implementation in real life that Staley appears to be seriously recognizing and now adjusting for. The best laid plans are only best if players can execute them consistently. NFL requires precision every play, one breakdown every 5 or 10 plays is disaster. Now that we, and Coach Brandon, see this need to balance theoretical optimal design vs the practicality of what a large group (11) can execute - how does he adjust to still gain added benefit of Derwins enormously unique versatility while reducing the uncertainty of the other 10?

Hmmm we shall have to wait and see…
    You worded the above more eloquently than I could trying to make the same point. I would add that zone schemes require high bandwidth and processing power in real-time as the players aren't just executing the assignments in their respective designated zones and reacting to the routes or rushes happening within or around, but also watching for (or sensing) breakdowns in other zones that may not necessarily be in front or in the purview of said players in order to react to and provide support.
    Last edited by jaguarmanftype; 12-22-2022, 08:17 AM.

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2020
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

...how does he adjust to still gain added benefit of Derwins enormously unique versatility while reducing the uncertainty of the other 10?
      In terms of this, my only thought is to have Derwin be in a Troy Polamalu-type safety role roaming around the line and dropping into coverage when necessary, while limiting certain players such as M. Davis, A. Samuel to do what they do best which is play close to the receiver in man coverage. Others like Tranquil, Gilman, Callahan can be trusted to run some sort of zone duties, and you can still disguise the coverages pre-snap and get creative.

Comment

• BlazingBolt
        SLAM DUNK!
        • Jun 2013
        • East County San Diego
        • Bolt fanatic
        • Send PM

I was at the game. This was such a huge win for our playoff chances we can even clinch this week now.

we look like we are going to the playoffs solely based on Justin Herbert Superman heroic 4th quarter drives. How can anyone slander our QB after what he’s gone through this year and what he has been able to pull off.
        migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• WindsorUK
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2013
          • Windsor, U.K.
          • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
          I was at the game. This was such a huge win for our playoff chances we can even clinch this week now.

we look like we are going to the playoffs solely based on Justin Herbert Superman heroic 4th quarter drives. How can anyone slander our QB after what he’s gone through this year and what he has been able to pull off.
          Or the improved play of our D and Teams over the past 5,6 weeks? JH's magic doesn't happen without getting the ball back first.

Comment

• jamrock
            lawyers, guns and money
            • Sep 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by jaguarmanftype View Post

In terms of this, my only thought is to have Derwin be in a Troy Polamalu-type safety role roaming around the line and dropping into coverage when necessary, while limiting certain players such as M. Davis, A. Samuel to do what they do best which is play close to the receiver in man coverage. Others like Tranquil, Gilman, Callahan can be trusted to run some sort of zone duties, and you can still disguise the coverages pre-snap and get creative.
            That’s what I think would work best.

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post

Or the improved play of our D and Teams over the past 5,6 weeks? JH's magic doesn't happen without getting the ball back first.
              D and STs have been huge.
              Likewise play calling.
              Our OL has had issues. Pass pro and run blocking have been inconsistent, to be kind.
              Herbert has played through a serious injury and has not only recovered but is thriving, albeit mostly in a small ball kinda way.
              It's been enough for a likely playoff slot and gives me the impression that we're building something special.

Comment

• cmplxgal
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • New Jersey
                • Send PM

Comment

Working...
                X