• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blue Thunder
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Arlington, TX
    • Send PM

I've read the book that the OP references. Stumbled across it at Half Price Books and immediately said "Yes, please". It is an excellent read - well worth the time investment.

Comment

• chargeroo
      Fan since 1961
      • Jan 2019
      • Oregon
      • Retired Manager/Pastor
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
      That game was played at Balboa Stadium. Imagine watching Lance Alworth and the '63 Chargers at Balboa Stadium.
      I was there that day. I was only 28 then. My late wife and I had season tickets.

The Pats played a heavy blitz kind of defense and Sid put together a game plan to sting the blitz. Kieth Lincoln had an awesome day. Sid had talked Kyle Rote into coming out of retirement to QB the Chargers while his rookie, John Hadl, learned and Rote also had a great day. However, it was the running of Lowe and Lincoln that was the key. They used a lot of quick pitches to Lincoln (who was in motion) and got outside of the blitzing LB and once he was behind the LB he was well on his way because the DB's were playing man to man and had their backs to Lincoln. They use the same formation and fake the pitch to Lincoln and give it to Lowe slashing through the line in the opposite direction. Boston never really adapted to it and we crushed them.

Sid Gilman had a mid-week TV show during the season where he would show tape of the previous game and tell what went well and what needed to change. The show after this game he used the last five minutes or so to challenge Papa Bear to a game between the Chargers and Bears. The Bears declined but most people thought the Chargers had the better team and we could have been the winners of the first SB if Halas had accepted the invitation.

We went to dinner at Casa di Baffi, George Pericano's restaurant. For those that don't know George Pericano was a minority owner of the team and a great fan. Several of the Chargers ate there too He attended every home game they ever played until his passing. He was a colorful guy and as down to earth as anyone, so things were very lively at his place that night. Many years later my son and I went to a Chargers-Niners game in San Francisco. We stayed at the same hotel as the team and George ate dinner with us and got all excited talking about that championship game - almost like it just happened.
      THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Craig440
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Apr 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I was there that day. I was only 28 then. My late wife and I had season tickets.

The Pats played a heavy blitz kind of defense and Sid put together a game plan to sting the blitz. Kieth Lincoln had an awesome day. Sid had talked Kyle Rote into coming out of retirement to QB the Chargers while his rookie, John Hadl, learned and Rote also had a great day. However, it was the running of Lowe and Lincoln that was the key. They used a lot of quick pitches to Lincoln (who was in motion) and got outside of the blitzing LB and once he was behind the LB he was well on his way because the DB's were playing man to man and had their backs to Lincoln. They use the same formation and fake the pitch to Lincoln and give it to Lowe slashing through the line in the opposite direction. Boston never really adapted to it and we crushed them.

Sid Gilman had a mid-week TV show during the season where he would show tape of the previous game and tell what went well and what needed to change. The show after this game he used the last five minutes or so to challenge Papa Bear to a game between the Chargers and Bears. The Bears declined but most people thought the Chargers had the better team and we could have been the winners of the first SB if Halas had accepted the invitation.

We went to dinner at Casa di Baffi, George Pericano's restaurant. For those that don't know George Pericano was a minority owner of the team and a great fan. Several of the Chargers ate there too He attended every home game they ever played until his passing. He was a colorful guy and as down to earth as anyone, so things were very lively at his place that night. Many years later my son and I went to a Chargers-Niners game in San Francisco. We stayed at the same hotel as the team and George ate dinner with us and got all excited talking about that championship game - almost like it just happened.
        Great analyzing the game Roo. I was 9 and was there also. Still have my seat cushion. George Pernicano was quite a character and I met him a few times. Oh and I think you mean Tobin Rote. not Kyle.

Comment

• jamrock
          lawyers, guns and money
          • Sep 2017
          • Send PM

Amazing! I remember going to Casa di Baffi but later. I was too young for the 63 championship but my parents were friendly with Sid’s daughter and son in law and I knew Sid’s granddaughter. Did was a great guy

Comment

• Iowachargers1970
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2022
            • Send PM

I read a book about 10 years ago called, Going Long. It was about all the teams in the AFL. Stuff like how ugly the Broncos uniforms were, how the league was formed, and even how the AFL had to battle the NFL to sign college seniors literally right on the field after their bowl games. Very good book.

It talked about the Patriots practicing at the Navy Fields before the Championship game. It also said there were a lot of Navy officers watching the practices. Said most of the Navy officers looked like football players.

Comment

• Trumpet Man
              Dea Spanos my HERO
              • Dec 2022
              • Send PM

Great story.

I got George Pernicano to dance for me and a few Bolt fans in front of Chargers Park a few years before the team left San Diego. I decided to show up at Chargers Park for training camp early with a few fellow Bolt Die Hards. As George was approaching the two front glass doors to the lobby of Chargers Park, I yelled ....."hey George I got something for you!" ... I proceeded to belt out "CHARGE" on the trumpet and Pernicano danced a little jig for us. It was too funny. That is my only Pernicano story.

Comment

Working...
              X