• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Heatmiser
    HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Van Noy

I think Kyle Van Noy deserves his own thread.

Something happened 3 games ago and he has just been playing like an elite edge player against the run and the pass. It is an unbelievable transition for an older player who has been forced to play way more than expected or desired and really should be worn down now. And his locker room presence is off the charts.

What a great, cheap signing he has been and he may be MVP of the defense the last quarter of the season.

TG
    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.
  • jaguarmanftype
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2020
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

Something happened 3 games ago and he has just been playing like an elite edge player against the run and the pass. It is an unbelievable transition for an older player who has been forced to play way more than expected or desired and really should be worn down now. And his locker room presence is off the charts.

What a great, cheap signing he has been and he may be MVP of the defense the last quarter of the season.

TG
    Keenan mentioned they had a players-only meeting a few weeks ago. I'm assuming Van Noy was one of the frontmen. He seems to love Staley. If I'm not wrong, he's even talked about retiring as a Charger.

Comment

• northerner
      Charger fan since '79
      • Mar 2019
      • Send PM

him and Murray have both started showing up in plays. we've started seeing both #8 and #9 in the opponents backfield more.

Comment

• cmplxgal
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • New Jersey
        • Send PM

Originally posted by jaguarmanftype View Post
        I'm assuming Van Noy was one of the frontmen

This is correct. Popper wrote about it.

Comment

• Heatmiser
          HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

They have players only dinners every week now. It started with Mack and the defense and got expanded to include the offense. There is an article on SI about it. But Van Noy has been very involved working on chemistry since he came here and is also a big part of these meetings and dinners and such. He is just a positive guy — you can see it in his first off season and training camp pressers.

TG
          Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• jamrock
            lawyers, guns and money
            • Sep 2017
            • Send PM

TG
            He has been a key for sure. Really showed up against Miami and has just kept getting better. He assumed a leadership role on the team and he and Mack deserve a ton of behind the scenes credit for getting that side of the ball’s shit together.

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

TG
              I've heard, as of yesterday, that Van Noy didn't enter the season fully healthy.
              I didn't hear the nature of his ailments.

He did have problems getting a contract this offseason, and his salary wasn't what i would have expected.

Comment

• Kellyb72601
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2019
                • Send PM

You're exactly right, it started in the Miami game. I noticed that game early on there was a run play and he obviously knew exactly what was coming and blew it up. I texted my buddy and said, "Van Noy played for Miami last year he's obviously pissed they let him go and has been doing his film study this week". But that same level of intensity and study has carried over since then. I'm not complaining. At this point I'm not so sure having Bosa back out there would add anything. Van Noy is playing at an elite level.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Send PM

I think he's tired of the negative fans just like some us here are.

Comment

• northerner
                    Charger fan since '79
                    • Mar 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post
                    I think he's tired of the negative fans just like some us here are.
                    good point !!

Comment

• ghost
                      The Rise of Kellen Moore
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Kyle Van Noy. Huge signing, second only to KMack. He is yet to play his biggest role of the season. The playoffs is where Kyle really steps up his game.

Comment

• Rugger05
                        Administrator
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post
                        You're exactly right, it started in the Miami game. I noticed that game early on there was a run play and he obviously knew exactly what was coming and blew it up. I texted my buddy and said, "Van Noy played for Miami last year he's obviously pissed they let him go and has been doing his film study this week". But that same level of intensity and study has carried over since then. I'm not complaining. At this point I'm not so sure having Bosa back out there would add anything. Van Noy is playing at an elite level.
                        Van Noy has been playing great, but Bosa is soooo much better than Van Noy

Comment

Working...
                        X