• Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by MusicMakerInMe View Post
    I think Chargers are in a bad spot to be honest.

I don't think Payton is the answer a lot of people think he is.

I don't think any coach is the answer really. Too many systems, too soon.

Now you have to pick your poison, yet another system or keep going with a bad system. Either way it'll be suboptimal.

I really think the best thing the Chargers should have done is either ride out the Herbert, Lynn, Steichen and Pep combination or hire an offensive guru like Daboll.

This was handled poorly by rushing things early and now they got to deal with it. They should not have settled. Make changes, sure, but make don't make impulsive decisions.

Fanbase is too impatient. Same fanbase pushed out Frank Reich as offensive coordinator all for him to go to the Eagles and win a Super Bowl as the offensive coordinator there.
    Payton is a proven, steady head coach with a ring who has had a lot of sustained success. But this team just isn't going to pony up for him. If we fire Lombardi as expected, and Staley isn't fired, he will certainly be on the hot seat - and that will make any hot OC think long and hard about coming here.

Comment

• JOJAX85
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Sep 2018
      • Irmo, SC
      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Payton is a proven, steady head coach with a ring who has had a lot of sustained success. But this team just isn't going to pony up for him. If we fire Lombardi as expected, and Staley isn't fired, he will certainly be on the hot seat - and that will make any hot OC think long and hard about coming here.
      Unfortunately, ALL of this is true... We are in a mess.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Yet - there is an OC out there who probably thinks that if they take Herberts game up a notich - might be a HC in waiting
        As that is what it takes - success of the team to elevate the status of these assistant coaches

Would be nice to upgrade the speed around Herbert at WR thats for sure

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Phone call of the day,

”Hi Sean, this is Dean Spanos. I’d like to talk with you.”
          Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• JOJAX85
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Sep 2018
            • Irmo, SC
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
            Phone call of the day,

”Hi Sean, this is Dean Spanos. I’d like to talk with you.”
            "I'm willing to pay you pennies on the dollar, but you can't have any control or complain about player decisions. This is a business, not a football team."

Comment

• jubei
              Vagabond Ninja
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by JOJAX85 View Post

"I'm willing to pay you pennies on the dollar, but you can't have any control or complain about player decisions. This is a business, not a football team."
              LOL! Right?

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2022
                • Send PM

Why do people think Payton would be a good fit with Herbert? Lombardi is running the Saints' offense Payton used for Drew Brees, a completely different quarterback from Herbert.

I obviously want Harbaugh, but I would take Shane Steichen (head coach) and Pep Hamilton (offensive coordinator) over Payton.

Comment

• JOJAX85
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2018
                  • Irmo, SC
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post
                  Why do people think Payton would be a good fit with Herbert? Lombardi is running the Saints' offense Payton used for Drew Brees, a completely different quarterback from Herbert.

I obviously want Harbaugh, but I would take Shane Steichen (head coach) and Pep Hamilton (offensive coordinator) over Payton.
                  Lombardi is certainly gone, whether the other 2 are or not... And they HAD to run that Offense with Brees, because his arm was shot and couldn't throw 50 yards down the field.

Comment

• SK21209
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • May 2020
                    • San Diego
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

Look at the entirety of Payton’s tenure with the Saints, he effectively tailored the offense to the strengths of the best players. It was an aggressive downfield passing attack with prime Brees but it became a much more methodical, precision-based passing attack with a diminished Brees. They even became a run-heavy team in 2017 with Ingram and Kamara collectively rushing for like 1800 yards.

Comment

• Kellyb72601
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Sep 2019
                      • Send PM

That’s a pretty good question. Payton is an offensive football coach/obsessive schemer he’s not the system guy people think he is. He adjusts his scheme to suit his personnel. When Brees was young the Saints led the league in downfield throwing they were an all out deep air show. When Brees got older and they had Michael Thomas they morphed into mostly a short throwing team. When he was in Dallas the cowboys ran the ball and took deep shots with Drew Bledsoe. Payton is also a lot more Parcells physical pound the ball coach than people think. He wants to run the ball and dominate the line of scrimmage.

Lombardi seems incapable of adjusting from the late saints scheme.

You also see this a lot with all the shanahan coaches. Some of them go to other places and totally shit the bed. They’re not shanahan. They might copy what shanahan does but they’re not him. Watching the 49ers game yesterday Shanahan is coaching and scheming offensive circles around the rest of the NFL.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2022
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by JOJAX85 View Post

Lombardi is certainly gone, whether the other 2 are or not... And they HAD to run that Offense with Brees, because his arm was shot and couldn't throw 50 yards down the field.
                        The question is, what makes you think Payton has the right offense for Herbert. Before becoming a head coach he was the offensive coordinator for the Giants and was hated nearly the entire time he was there. He had his play-calling responsibilities removed from him by Jim Fassel in 2002, and they went on a winning streak into the playoffs after that. He was also the play-caller in one of the worst Super Bowl blowouts of all time--Ravens 34, Giants 7. The Giants' only points came on a kick return in that disaster.

Comment

• Kellyb72601
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2019
                          • Send PM

90% of NFL offensive coaches are copycats not innovators. Shanahan, Andy Reid, Payton, and Mcveigh are innovators

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍