• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tomdutchy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

and have money left for in-season signings due to injury.
    Why? Teleschoke never makes an in season move however much we need one. Just like stalebread, they make no adjustments. If a jock strap was stuck to his face, he would keep it there until Holloween so he could save money on a costume.

Comment

• Trumpet Man
      Dea Spanos my HERO
      • Dec 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

think you take the post June 1 cap hit on Dustin Hopkins, and thought we would need to restructure Feiler, but won't be surprised if we keep him as is, and as....

the two chief offseason tasks as related to the cap are re: Bosa 'n JC Jack, and as we need to somehow move on from the both of 'em.

some peoples have suggested trading Bosa, and my follow up was for a third and a sixth to the NY Giants ??

and some others have suggested there might be a legal loophole/out w/the JC Jack contract ??

that would be a $50m savings between the two of 'em....

ps. a third and a sixth could get you two of the three of Will McDonald, Brenton Cox and/or YaYa Diaby.
      To my knowledge "moral turpitude" clauses are standard in NFL contracts. The Chargers have JC Jackson by the proverbial short hairs. It could get ugly - fast.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

And cap space is an issue, too.
        A real-time breakdown of the Los Angeles Chargers 2023 salary cap, including salaries, bonuses, reserve lists, dead cap, cap space and more.

Spotrac has us @$10.6 million over the cap.
        OTC has us @$19.8 million over the cap.
        I'm not exactly sure why there is such a difference. Rumor has it that the salary cap will go up by about $9 million next year. Maybe Spotrac has figured that in already...?
        In any case, there will have to be re-structures, cuts, and extensions to get under the cap, have money to pay the rookie class, and have money left for in-season signings due to injury.
        the reason they are different is OTC added the guys signed to futures contracts yesterday. Spotrac hasn't done that

And if you include the draft class, the practice squad and money for the season, the Chargers are close to 30m over the cap

Hence - I think

1) trade or cut Allen - sorry, he is not getting faster, he is not getting better and he can only get worse. $14m in cap savings if released

2) Bosa - see what the market is for Bosa - the Chargers took Mack, see if somebody will take Bosa. The Chargers played this whole year without Bosa --

3) Feiler - probably released or asked to take a pay cut

4) release Hopkins and sign Dicker the kicker

I just do not think the Chargers should go the Saints route and leverage Allen for sure, but even Bosa or Mack at this point in their careers kicking the can when they will need space for Herbert

Chargers need to hit the dratt hard, I think for

1) Speed, Explosive Fast WR
        2) OC
        3) Edge
        4) RT
        5) more Speed at WR

Comment

• Tomdutchy
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Oct 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

the reason they are different is OTC added the guys signed to futures contracts yesterday. Spotrac hasn't done that

And if you include the draft class, the practice squad and money for the season, the Chargers are close to 30m over the cap

Hence - I think

1) trade or cut Allen - sorry, he is not getting faster, he is not getting better and he can only get worse. $14m in cap savings if released

2) Bosa - see what the market is for Bosa - the Chargers took Mack, see if somebody will take Bosa. The Chargers played this whole year without Bosa --

3) Feiler - probably released or asked to take a pay cut

4) release Hopkins and sign Dicker the kicker

I just do not think the Chargers should go the Saints route and leverage Allen for sure, but even Bosa or Mack at this point in their careers kicking the can when they will need space for Herbert

Chargers need to hit the dratt hard, I think for

1) Speed, Explosive Fast WR
          2) OC
          3) Edge
          4) RT
          5) more Speed at WR
          Umm. Can you do my taxes?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by beachcomber View Post

think you take the post June 1 cap hit on Dustin Hopkins, and thought we would need to restructure Feiler, but won't be surprised if we keep him as is, and as....

the two chief offseason tasks as related to the cap are re: Bosa 'n JC Jack, and as we need to somehow move on from the both of 'em.

some peoples have suggested trading Bosa, and my follow up was for a third and a sixth to the NY Giants ??

and some others have suggested there might be a legal loophole/out w/the JC Jack contract ??

that would be a $50m savings between the two of 'em....

ps. a third and a sixth could get you two of the three of Will McDonald, Brenton Cox and/or YaYa Diaby.
            Not sure where you are getting $50m between the two. If Bosa is traded - the cap savings is $17m.
            As for the value -- I think you are correct though - a 3rd and 6tj

Allen - I would probably take a 5th

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Tomdutchy View Post

Umm. Can you do my taxes?
              NFL salary cap is easier - I just follow people that have more knowledge than I do and learn about it from them
              Ken Ingals for the Packers
              Miguel Benzan for the Patriots
              Ian Whetsone for the Steelers
              Joel Corry - former agent
              Jason OTC - the best website for football cap stuff

I think the biggest thing for the Chargers is to learn fromthe Saints and understand who to kick the can with. I don't think Keenan Allen is worth kicking the can thats for sure. Maybe not even Mack.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

The Sportrac number is up to $19.5 million as of this morning. The numbers are off between the two sites by about $300k but they are now pretty close. Having said that, the $19 million+ number is really not that meaningful yet as most of those practice squad and futures contracts won't count because of the Top-51 rule. Both sites have 53 players under contract. The number is actually going to end up being much worse than that $19+ unless the entire bottom of the roster is made up of those guys. We went for it this year and there is going to have to be some hard cuts/trades/restructures to get it down.

Comment

• Tomdutchy
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Oct 2021
                  • Send PM

NFL salary cap is easier - I just follow people that have more knowledge than I do and learn about it from them
                  Ken Ingals for the Packers
                  Miguel Benzan for the Patriots
                  Ian Whetsone for the Steelers
                  Joel Corry - former agent
                  Jason OTC - the best website for football cap stuff

I think the biggest thing for the Chargers is to learn fromthe Saints and understand who to kick the can with. I don't think Keenan Allen is worth kicking the can thats for sure. Maybe not even Mack.
                  I think we shouldnt throw the baby out with the bathwater. People are saying get rid of Bosa, come on man, he just got back and he is frustrated because he is not in game shape and frustrated he cant do what he is used to doing. And people saying we should get rid of Derwin, really? We should be putting the blame on stalebread and lamebozo.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Tomdutchy View Post

I think we shouldnt throw the baby out with the bathwater. People are saying get rid of Bosa, come on man, he just got back and he is frustrated because he is not in game shape and frustrated he cant do what he is used to doing. And people saying we should get rid of Derwin, really? We should be putting the blame on stalebread and lamebozo.
                    The problem with trading Bosa (and Allen and any other top of the roster guys) is that it creates a giant hole on the roster. So yeah, we are all frustrated by what he did and the time he misses but he is a premier edge rusher and it will cost a lot to sign for an established player or else we have to gamble on an unproven rookie (and spend a high pick on that position which means ignoring other roster holes). Having said that, we are going to have to do something to get that cap number down, unless we do a ton of restructuring. People thinking there is a loophole to get out of JC Jackson are really wishful thinkers.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

The problem with trading Bosa (and Allen and any other top of the roster guys) is that it creates a giant hole on the roster. So yeah, we are all frustrated by what he did and the time he misses but he is a premier edge rusher and it will cost a lot to sign for an established player or else we have to gamble on an unproven rookie (and spend a high pick on that position which means ignoring other roster holes). Having said that, we are going to have to do something to get that cap number down, unless we do a ton of restructuring. People thinking there is a loophole to get out of JC Jackson are really wishful thinkers.
                      Bosa - I am just going to test his trade value. If its not there - its not there. As you are right, it creates a hole -but if you can trade him and get a decent draft pick - you can draft a replacement and sign a guy for depth

Allen - I don't think he creates as big of a hole as he did 3 years ago, five years ago. He will be going into his 11th year, higher chance of injury. Yes, he moved the chains but the Chargers need an explosive playmaker at WR and his number is easy - he can be released with a nominal cap hit. His salary is $19m this year - Williams and Palmer should be able to do some of what he did. I just don't see Allen taking a 10m pay cut

Mack - they jsut traded for him; he had a very good year. He just needs more on the other side. The Chargers can like you said restructure a lot of contracts but with Herbert coming due - would it be smart to kick $40m of cap to future years or maybe suck it up and move on from two players that missed a lot of the season.

As for unproven rookie - its why Telesco needs to go. Other GMs find players that fit and are rookies.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                        That list has a ton of key players on it - with our cap situation, this is going to be a very interesting offseason.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                          Grammar Police
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

You don't have a fire sale one year after opening the check book. No! Just no! Lots of options to make cap space without trading a talent and creating holes that then need to be filled in the draft or free agency. Trading a high salary player to make cap room only to spend cap or draft capitol to fill the hole created is stupid. In some cases you will not replace the talent you lose.
                          Go Rivers!

Comment

Working...
                          X