• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by rensoul View Post

I think both can be worked out. Slater will be going into year 3 and will still be on a reasonable deal through 2025 under his 5th year option before a big money contract needs to kick in.

If Pipkins gets extended for a 3 year deal or a deal where he could be cut/traded easily after 3 years then there doesn't need to be an overlap of paying both OT's big money.
    I'm not sure if you've looked @the 2023 Chargers cap space. They're $20 million over the cap. Surely, some of the current players will be cut... and others will be re-structured. But for every year/player you re-structure... you are stealing from your 2024/2025 cap. Herberts new contract will eat a lot of that up. Slater's new contract will eat a lot of that up.

I don't know why Pipkins is such a savior. Draft someone better... and pay a lot less at the position for the next 4 or 5 years.

Comment

• lightsout42
      Hire a winning coach
      • Oct 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I'm not sure if you've looked @the 2023 Chargers cap space. They're $20 million over the cap. Surely, some of the current players will be cut... and others will be re-structured. But for every year/player you re-structure... you are stealing from your 2024/2025 cap. Herberts new contract will eat a lot of that up. Slater's new contract will eat a lot of that up.

I don't know why Pipkins is such a savior. Draft someone better... and pay a lot less at the position for the next 4 or 5 years.
      I think they have to look hard at BPA, especially in Edge and WR (and maybe CB or TE) in Round 1. I can’t see them taking a chance on a starting OT when they have a known quantity they developed and so many other needs they can’t afford in FA.

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

The 4 teams in the conference finals all had WRs with YAC ability.

Chargers do not, and it is still a missing element from this offence. Burrow has a guy that can take an 8 yard pass 60 yards. Herbert does not.

Speed and YAC is still needed to take this offence to its top potential.
        The Chiefs WR's are not better than the Chargers WR's. The Chiefs beat the Bengals. The Bengals have much better WR's than the Chiefs... but the Chiefs have the better team. I want a better team... and I don't think that has to be a speedy receiver. Continue to build the OL, continue to build the defense. Hell, the Chiefs big off-season move was to trade Tyreek... and continue to re-build their defense. Hopefully, Kellen Moore can figure out how to run the ball better and make the offense more balanced. Hopefully, Staley will be allowed to continue building his defense.

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

How did the secondary look with Ja'Sir Taylor @slot vs the Broncos...? If Russell Wilson can pass for 283 yards and 3 TD's... what do you think will happen vs. Mahommes, Burrows, and Allen...?

Herbert has weapons... he finished 2nd in passing yards. He did it without Allen for 9 games... and MW for 3 games.
          How’d we do against division foes?

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

So you watch the OL so well but you simply can’t get over your pipkins bias, the guy has arrived and is still improving, mediocre my ass, pipkins was a solid above average performer and he did it with a bad wheel…

the fact that you’re still out on pipkins tells me you aren’t watching O-line closely enough…you talk about adding depth but you want to start yet another rookie at RT again in 2023 when this team is poised to have it’s first veteran, experienced but still young offensive line in over a decade…

all important continuity and improving depth starts with re-signing pipkins and the drafting OL in the top 3 rounds…otherwise we just wasted 4 years developing a guy to let someone else reap the benefit, AND that team could easily be in our division, I’m not looking forward to seeing pipkins in a chief, bronco, or raider uniform, are you?
            I have no problem watching Pipkins as a Chief, Raider, or Bronco. I can't wait to see him against Bosa or Mack.
            He was un-playable the first 3 years. The fact that he improved in his 4th year was great. I didn't have to watch Tevi or Storm @RT.
            1st, 2nd, and 3rd round rookie OT's consistently out played Pip... I have no doubt that the 1st and 2nd round OT's in this years draft will outplay Pipkins next year. The 1st and 2nd round OT's have outplayed him for the last 4 years.

I'm not giving $10/year to a mediocre RT. Pick any game from last year you want to evaluate Pipkins... I'll go over each and every rep with you. Hell, our 6th round OG played better @LT than Pip played @RT last year.

Comment

• charger1_sj
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2022
              • Send PM

The Chiefs WR's are not better than the Chargers WR's. The Chiefs beat the Bengals. The Bengals have much better WR's than the Chiefs... but the Chiefs have the better team. I want a better team... and I don't think that has to be a speedy receiver. Continue to build the OL, continue to build the defense. Hell, the Chiefs big off-season move was to trade Tyreek... and continue to re-build their defense. Hopefully, Kellen Moore can figure out how to run the ball better and make the offense more balanced. Hopefully, Staley will be allowed to continue building his defense.
              If you asked me to make wholesale trade. We get the Chiefs receiving core (this means TE as well) and their contracts the Chiefs get all of our receiving core and their contracts, I'd jump on that trade. Yes the Chiefs receiving core are better than the Chargers. The Bengals may have better WRs than the Chiefs but when you throw in Kelce all bets are off. Want to know why? He's a difference maker. We don't have that on our team.

I agree with building up the rest of team, obviously. But when you have a QB with an elite arm you need to get him some decent weapons. Allen is getting older and therefore more prone to injury. MW hasn't been as bad w.r.t. injuries. But he does get hurt a lot. Everett is an OK TE, nothing special. None of our guys are difference makers in the mold of Kelce. MW can make spectacular catches, but he's not a threat to take it to the house after the catch, usually goes down. So ball is traveling 50 yards in the air and with very good CBs anything can happen.

Comment

• Eurobolt
                *** Jim Harbaugh ***
                • Sep 2018
                • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

If you asked me to make wholesale trade. We get the Chiefs receiving core (this means TE as well) and their contracts the Chiefs get all of our receiving core and their contracts, I'd jump on that trade. Yes the Chiefs receiving core are better than the Chargers. The Bengals may have better WRs than the Chiefs but when you throw in Kelce all bets are off. Want to know why? He's a difference maker. We don't have that on our team.

I agree with building up the rest of team, obviously. But when you have a QB with an elite arm you need to get him some decent weapons. Allen is getting older and therefore more prone to injury. MW hasn't been as bad w.r.t. injuries. But he does get hurt a lot. Everett is an OK TE, nothing special. None of our guys are difference makers in the mold of Kelce. MW can make spectacular catches, but he's not a threat to take it to the house after the catch, usually goes down. So ball is traveling 50 yards in the air and with very good CBs anything can happen.
                Kielce is a HOFer by the time he finish he can be top 3 all time conversation.
                Still I would not swap the receivong corps with KC as Reid is offensive mastermind and maximizing his players abilities.

There is handful of recivers in the league making such impact and no other TE.

Hill, AJ Brown, Jefferson, Chase, Kielce - this is a list of difference makers in receiving corps in all of NFL quite short.
                All of them are also playing for OC that are using them in right way.
                I find it funny to accuse our receiving team for lack of talent, we are very talented here, we were not healthy last year and in the end short at position.

KA, MW, JP, + DAY 1 OR DAY 2 PICK
                GE, DP - at TE

That is easily top 10 receiving corp on paper up to OC to create production.

Comment

• Boltnut
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

LOL! You moved the goal post!
                  Do I get to throw in Ekeler... since he led the Chargers in receptions?

Using this reasoning... Since Herbert out-threw Burrows, that makes KA, MW, and Palmer better than Chase, Higgins, and Boyd... better than Tyreek and Waddle.
                  Damn! We need to get slower @WR using that reasoning...
                  C'mon man... stayed focused.
                  We got weapons.

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2021
                    • Send PM

I would honestly reach out to Seattle and see if they would give up their 20th pick for Bosa. If Mack brought a 2nd and a 6th this late in his career, I think Bosa can bring can bring in a mid to late 1st. Especially since Bradley Chubb brought the Broncos a 1st.

If Seattle bites, I would then go after Yannick Ngakoue to be opposite Mack, bring in Clelin Farrell for depth and draft an Edge no later than the 2nd.

They would have to do so releasing and restructuring. But there is always a way to make room. Restructure and extend Allen another year, restructure Linsley and JC Jackson. Release Feiler and Hopkins.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post
                      I would honestly reach out to Seattle and see if they would give up their 20th pick for Bosa. If Mack brought a 2nd and a 6th this late in his career, I think Bosa can bring can bring in a mid to late 1st. Especially since Bradley Chubb brought the Broncos a 1st.

If Seattle bites, I would then go after Yannick Ngakoue to be opposite Mack, bring in Clelin Farrell for depth and draft an Edge no later than the 2nd.

They would have to do so releasing and restructuring. But there is always a way to make room. Restructure and extend Allen another year, restructure Linsley and JC Jackson. Release Feiler and Hopkins.
                      Wouldn't mind Yannick but i don't want Ferrill. And not sure they would do that and use some of the money to keep Tranquil. Don't know, just guessing.

We would save a lot by trading Joey but there is a dead cap as well.
                      Trading him after June 1st save's is 24 mil on the cap and only 7 to the dead cap.

Trading him before June 1st saves us 17 mil on the cap and is 14 mil dead cap.

So trading him for a first is cool but we are better off trading him after June first so the first rounder would likely be for 2024,......unless they don't mind saving 17 mil now and getting the pick this year.

I'd also hope we could get another pick or a player as well.
                      11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia
                      35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                      37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                      66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                      69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                      100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
                      110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                      140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
                      181 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Mississippi
                      225 Josh Procter S-Ohio st /253 Dwight McGlothern CB -Ar​

Comment

• blueman
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

No one’s gonna trade for anybody they think we might just cut. 20mil over kills deals.

Comment

• rensoul
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2023
                          • Send PM

Yea, I'm aware of the cap situation.Some tough decisions will need to be made on some older players. Likely Feiler/Hopkins get cut, KA will be an interesting situation and a player or 2 may get restructured.

Not sure who's calling Pipkins a savior, that sounds a little ridiculous.
                          If you watch his tape especially before the knee injury he was playing very well. If you didn't see that, that's on you. Even after the knee injury the level of play was still much higher than the backups.

It's reasonable to think he still has some upside and will be healthy next season. A 3 year mid-level deal sounds like a win win for both sides rather than throwing more picks at the RT position and hoping a rookie is ready right away. He's a 27 year old tackle, don't see the point of creating another hole when there isn't a need to when a young player is available.
                          Last edited by rensoul; 02-01-2023, 03:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X