• Show
Clear All
  • Fleet 1
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Kauai
    • Send PM

2023 Official Roster Build Thread - The Initial 53 / Practice Squad

Alright im done bitching about the monumental fail. Gonna pay more attention to the present and future than the past. But i will learn from our mistakes. Im not sure where im at with needs and draft etc. I would not mind a twitch WR that does it all. Addison sort of player. But we have needs. I really do think Herbert is the key. Id like to make it easier for him. I wont get into coaching desires etc. I doubt we do anything we tend to stick with the mediocrity. You never know though. Both sides of the ball need work. Hope we can find a way to max Jacksons skillset. Or flip him to the Rams and a 2nd for Ramsey. Thats just a little Derwin/Ramsey dream. I dont expect anything much via FA due to financial obligations. I expect players restructured. Or just outright traded.

I dont have much to say right now...but this roster build discussion is always good for this community.
  • Bolt-O
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Glaring needs are speed at WR, a true ball control RB, and improvement somewhere for the run defense. Key retention FA will be Pipkins and Tranquil, I do want Van Noy but he could be improved on, and maybe Morgan Fox. I'd like a replacement for QB2 and QB3. Just top of my head of needs.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
      Smooth Operation
      • May 2017
      • Send PM

Only way to deal with the pain for me is insane hours of obsessive draft/personnel study.

It did not take too long to get over this latest Charger stunner.

We should all be angry and resolved moving forward.

No scapegoats because it took a team effort to lose the Jags game.

I feel fortunate to not have lived in SoCal for 45 years, as it would all be too, too personal and emotional.

Throw in a dose of Dodgers vs Padres.

Here's one...what if Seidler owned the Chargers ?
      You don't know ball

Comment

• 21&500
        Bolt Spit-Baller
        • Sep 2018
        • A Whale's Vajayjay
        • CMB refugee
        • Send PM

I've been consistent in my opinion since Herbert made his debut in week 2 of 2020.
        SPEED RECEIVER.
        Although I'm going to start using the term, "explosive" receiver, after playing the semantics game earlier this season.
        The NFL today is basically daring a team to dominate games with an elite QB/WR combo.
        Cincinnati is the closest thing it has to that.
        point is, we need explosive weapons that when thrown to by elite arm-talent, are indefensible (not sure if I'm using that word correctly there---you know what I mean! Ha).
        WTF would Chase look like in bolts!? Unstoppable. Tell me I'm lying.
        So there are no Chases available, but there will be some very explosive wide receivers available and they are my priority.
        You will magically see a run game appear also, imo.
        LFG 2023!!

Edit: if somehow we can pull off a trade for DK Metcalf for Williams plus picks. DKM is basically the perfect weapon for Herb minus the 2 cent head.
        .005 Brock Bowers, TE/HB/SR Georgia
        .037 Braden Fiske, DT Florida St.
        .069 Mike Sainristil, CB Michigan
        .105 Brenden Rice, WR USC
        .110 Mason McCormick, OG/OC S. Dakota St.
        .140 Zak Zinter, OG Michigan
        .181 Nehemiah Pritchett, CB Auburn
        .225 Ainias Smith, WR Texas A&M
        .253 Carson Steele, RB UCLA

Comment

• SK21209
          Registered Charger Fan
          • May 2020
          • San Diego
          • Send PM

The need for speed/explosiveness in the receiving corps is obvious but will be hard to address. Keenan and Mike each make $20 million and are too important to just cut with no clear plan to replace them. Palmer is okay, he'll be back next year, so now you're talking about needing to add speed/explosiveness while in all likelihood having 3 of the same top 4 receivers. Guyton will be back, so it might just be trying to upgrade on DeAndre Carter. I agree with 21 that something like Metcalf for Williams/picks would be great but trades like that never happen in the NFL. The likely choice to me is spending a 1st or 2nd rounder on a receiver that ultimately replaces Keenan as soon as 2024.

EDGE is the next big need IMO, we desperately need a viable third pass rusher to spell Bosa and Mack. Bosa obviously missed most of this year but in the three previous seasons he played 16, 10 and 16 games. I'm not worried about Bosa, guys like TJ Watt, Myles Garrett and Nick Bosa have all missed some significant time over the last few years. It just happens. Mack started off the season really strong but obviously wore down while Bosa was out. KVN came on toward the end but you can't rely on him as a passrusher at this stage of his career. Rumph sucks. Look at the Eagles and Niners, they have the top-end talent but also depth along the defensive line that is crucial to holding leads when opponents are dropping back every single play.

Those two are the big areas to address for me. CB is a bit of a mystery box with JC's injury, hopefully we can keep Callahan around. I'd also like to get some veteran help at LB, I've given up on Murray improving substantially and we need better play there if we're going to stick with the Staley/Fangio split-safety scheme.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
            Grammar Police
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Both our wrs are injury prone and Allen is going to be how old next season? Granted with those two health they are our starting WRs. That makes it important to have a compliment to Palmer as well as it's likely we will be seeing the transition from Allen and BMW in the next few years. That makes it hard to draft a WR in round one as he will not start and has Palmer ahead of him from day one until he catches up.
            Go Rivers!

Comment

• nomad1946
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2017
              • West Yellowstone, Montana
              • Retired
              • Send PM

I am very unsure what will happen this off season, but it will be interesting and probably painful too. I think they will have to do some things that will make fans unhappy.

Now that I think on it a bit more, no matter what they do some fans will be mad and some will be happy. They are in a no win situation.

Comment

• Boltx
                Dominate the day
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

We need speed at WR
                We need a thumper at MLB
                We need more OL depth
                We need a legit RB or at least see what Spiller can do
                ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Boltgang74
                  We Are The Storm!
                  • Aug 2018
                  • Send PM

And more Edge depth in case of injuries.

Comment

• richpjr
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Nashville
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by SK21209 View Post
                    The need for speed/explosiveness in the receiving corps is obvious but will be hard to address. Keenan and Mike each make $20 million and are too important to just cut with no clear plan to replace them. Palmer is okay, he'll be back next year, so now you're talking about needing to add speed/explosiveness while in all likelihood having 3 of the same top 4 receivers. Guyton will be back, so it might just be trying to upgrade on DeAndre Carter. I agree with 21 that something like Metcalf for Williams/picks would be great but trades like that never happen in the NFL. The likely choice to me is spending a 1st or 2nd rounder on a receiver that ultimately replaces Keenan as soon as 2024.

EDGE is the next big need IMO, we desperately need a viable third pass rusher to spell Bosa and Mack. Bosa obviously missed most of this year but in the three previous seasons he played 16, 10 and 16 games. I'm not worried about Bosa, guys like TJ Watt, Myles Garrett and Nick Bosa have all missed some significant time over the last few years. It just happens. Mack started off the season really strong but obviously wore down while Bosa was out. KVN came on toward the end but you can't rely on him as a passrusher at this stage of his career. Rumph sucks. Look at the Eagles and Niners, they have the top-end talent but also depth along the defensive line that is crucial to holding leads when opponents are dropping back every single play.

Those two are the big areas to address for me. CB is a bit of a mystery box with JC's injury, hopefully we can keep Callahan around. I'd also like to get some veteran help at LB, I've given up on Murray improving substantially and we need better play there if we're going to stick with the Staley/Fangio split-safety scheme.
                    Guyton and Carter are both free agents.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                      Grammar Police
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

We need a center of the future and a LG, Fieler is a URFA iirc.
                      Go Rivers!

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                        Grammar Police
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Lots of our own to sign... https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-age...eles-chargers/
                        Go Rivers!

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡