Clear All
  • La Costa Boy
    Pretty much retired......
    • Sep 2018
    • JoJa
    • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I actually think if the Chargers are going to succeed this year - those will be tough to get. 10 touchdowns is do-able - but I don't see anything close to where he was the last two years. IF, the chargers offense is going to be better

As for all purpose yards - his catches will drop and if Spiller is the featured back, again, hard to get to 1500

This is why Ekeler asked for the money this offseason as he saw it, the agents saw it, fans saw it, the team saw it -- his numbers are probably going to go down this year.
    I think Moore will use Ekler as the Swiss army knife that he is. While he may be reduced, I cannot see Moore ignoring these skills AND Ek is in a contract year. I think he is going to ball out. And (God forbid) any injury to Spiller or Kelly will land those reps right back on Ekeler. I think he'll do just fine cashing in some extra ducats in 2023.

Let's roll.......

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

good call - forget 1500, the question now is can he get to 1125?
      I think his all purpose yards last year were around 1600 and that was with no running game and catching 107 passes

I am not trying to diss Ekeler the last two years - he balled out

That said, I want a more explosive offense so I think Ekeler will get the ball less in the passing game for sure. Hopeflly Williams and Allen are healthy plus with QJ and maybe even the TEs and Spiller getting more touches

Another thing - with more explosive plays downfield - that means fewer plays for the offense in general and fewer plays for Ekeler - which can be both positive things

I am not going to say its a bad thing if Ekeler gets 1500 all purpose yards and 15 touchdowns to maximize his incentives. I will say if he leads the team in rushing, pass receptions and scores 20 touchdowns again - that is probably NOT GOOD for the Chargers.

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

I think his all purpose yards last year were around 1600 and that was with no running game and catching 107 passes

I am not trying to diss Ekeler the last two years - he balled out

That said, I want a more explosive offense so I think Ekeler will get the ball less in the passing game for sure. Hopeflly Williams and Allen are healthy plus with QJ and maybe even the TEs and Spiller getting more touches

Another thing - with more explosive plays downfield - that means fewer plays for the offense in general and fewer plays for Ekeler - which can be both positive things

I am not going to say its a bad thing if Ekeler gets 1500 all purpose yards and 15 touchdowns to maximize his incentives. I will say if he leads the team in rushing, pass receptions and scores 20 touchdowns again - that is probably NOT GOOD for the Chargers.
        Ekeler led the Chargers in receiving targets in '22. That may still happen in '23 with a smaller number but not as likely. His TDs aren't going away if he's healthy. Too reliable in the red zone to not use. He only needs half of '22's TD production to earn bonus $. If, on the other hand, he leads the team with 20 TDs,and the next 40+ are spread around, it's cool. Pretty sure that Moore & Staley plan on the Chargers owning the scoreboard. This is NOT 2022.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Ekeler led the Chargers in receiving targets in '22. That may still happen in '23 with a smaller number but not as likely. His TDs aren't going away if he's healthy. Too reliable in the red zone to not use. He only needs half of '22's TD production to earn bonus $. If, on the other hand, he leads the team with 20 TDs,and the next 40+ are spread around, it's cool. Pretty sure that Moore & Staley plan on the Chargers owning the scoreboard. This is NOT 2022.
          I just want a version of Air Coryell updated for 2022 that puts consistent pressure on teh defense and scores a boat load of touchdowns! Less third down plays, more chunk plays. More tempo - move the ball up the field.

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

I just want a version of Air Coryell updated for 2022 that puts consistent pressure on teh defense and scores a boat load of touchdowns!
            That's not too much to ask. Moore cites Air Coryell as one of the O's he credits for inspiration. We are LOADED with quality receivers.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

That's not too much to ask. Moore cites Air Coryell as one of the O's he credits for inspiration. We are LOADED with quality receivers.
              Yes, I get that was a high bar and probably a bit of hyperbole. But, health willing, with this QB, the WRs and OL plus a guy like Ekeler - there is no reason for the offense to not be more efficient and causes defenses havoc.

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Yes, I get that was a high bar and probably a bit of hyperbole. But, health willing, with this QB, the WRs and OL plus a guy like Ekeler - there is no reason for the offense to not be more efficient and causes defenses havoc.
                I was a big fan of Aztec Coryell and Chargers Coryell and am ready to embrace coach Moore. From all appearances, he's a student of the game and has enjoyed considerable success as a QB and as a coach. He can make opportunities available that our offense wasn't seeing with Lombardi.
                Thanks to ghost and others for posting all the Moore/ Dal diagrams / plays we can see some examples of the thinking KM brings.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

I was a big fan of Aztec Coryell and Chargers Coryell and am ready to embrace coach Moore. From all appearances, he's a student of the game and has enjoyed considerable success as a QB and as a coach. He can make opportunities available that our offense wasn't seeing with Lombardi.
                  Thanks to ghost and others for posting all the Moore/ Dal diagrams / plays we can see some examples of the thinking KM brings.
                  And I get he has to show up for training camp and prove that he belongs - but if QJ does all that - I want to see him as a focal point of the offense from Game 1. Get him out there and see what he can do. We know there might be growing pains - he is a rookie. But also might bring the flash and playmaking as well. None of this like Lynn was doing with Herbert. Get Johnston out there balling early

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

And I get he has to show up for training camp and prove that he belongs - but if QJ does all that - I want to see him as a focal point of the offense from Game 1. Get him out there and see what he can do. We know there might be growing pains - he is a rookie. But also might bring the flash and playmaking as well. None of this like Lynn was doing with Herbert. Get Johnston out there balling early
                    I strongly believe GM Rule 1 is first round picks play unless they are unable to. GMs take too much heat for R1 picks, they want them playing immediately.

I expect QJ will be able to, will play and will play very well. That said, I'll be delighted if NOBODY is a focal point. We don't need a new focal point, we need a hundred daggers of death piercing DCs/defenses into submission and despair all at once - DCs never knowing which dagger will be the death blow next is the goal. not a focal point.
                    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I strongly believe GM Rule 1 is first round picks play unless they are unable to. GMs take too much heat for R1 picks, they want them playing immediately.

I expect QJ will be able to, will play and will play very well. That said, I'll be delighted if NOBODY is a focal point. We don't need a new focal point, we need a hundred daggers of death piercing DCs/defenses into submission and despair all at once - DCs never knowing which dagger will be the death blow next is the goal. not a focal point.
                      I don't mean a focal point as in always the number one option. I mean a focal point in that Moore tries to get him the ball during the game. Whether a bubble screen, end around or a send him deep. There are times that Kyle runs plays specifically to get the ball to Deebo's hands.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

I don't mean a focal point as in always the number one option. I mean a focal point in that Moore tries to get him the ball during the game. Whether a bubble screen, end around or a send him deep. There are times that Kyle runs plays specifically to get the ball to Deebo's hands.
                        thats cool. thats not a focal point but i agree - he should be integrated into the game plans and get touches. I fully expect that.
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

I believe it was Staley said they don't expect him to start as a #1 WR but to compete like he expects to be. The implication I got was they'll use him day one and it's up to him.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍