Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post
    When we're up by 4 points on KC, and they're driving downfield with 2:00 mins on the clock - THIS is when I expect James / Bosa / Mack to stand up and make a difference (NOT vanish).

Conversely - if we're behind by 4 points in the above circumstances THIS is when I expect Herbert / Allen / Williams to make an impact. We've seen the offense do this many times - the defense . . . . . . . . not so much. The highest paid players need to make game changing plays when it matters most - that's what they're being paid to do.
    You know how I feel about this. Why are we paying a guy like DJ to be the highest paid safety in the league if he never comes up big in crucial situations? Don't you pay him that kind of money because you expect him to make sure KC stays out the end zone to seal the win for the Chargers. You don't expect him to give up the play that wins the game for the Chiefs. And you are correct, Herbert and the offense have come up big many times, one of those times was in that game when Herbert and KA connected on a 50 yd bomb, then Herbert found Palmer in the end zone and the Chargers took a 4 pt lead with 1:37 left. All the defense had to do was not let the Chiefs score a TD and not let Kelce run roughshod. We know how that turned out. How dare fans expect a player who's getting paid to be elite actually play like an elite player.

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
      my 2c: Derwin is an excellent tackler, he always has been. You should worry about something real.
      Like when Derwin whiffs on Tyler Allgeier here? Is this your idea of an excellent tackler?

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
        You know how I feel about this. Why are we paying a guy like DJ to be the highest paid safety in the league if he never comes up big in crucial situations? Don't you pay him that kind of money because you expect him to make sure KC stays out the end zone to seal the win for the Chargers. You don't expect him to give up the play that wins the game for the Chiefs. And you are correct, Herbert and the offense have come up big many times, one of those times was in that game when Herbert and KA connected on a 50 yd bomb, then Herbert found Palmer in the end zone and the Chargers took a 4 pt lead with 1:37 left. All the defense had to do was not let the Chiefs score a TD and not let Kelce run roughshod. We know how that turned out. How dare fans expect a player who's getting paid to be elite actually play like an elite player.
        He has never come up with a big play in a game ever? You sure you fact-checked that statement thoroughly?
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Velo
          Ride!
          • Aug 2019
          • Everywhere
          • Send PM

He has never come up with a big play in a game ever? You sure you fact-checked that statement thoroughly?
          Derwin INT'd Derrick Carr to seal the Chargers' win against the Raiders in 2021. Last season he body-slammed Kelce and prevented a TD in the game at KC. The Chargers didn't win though. Can you find a play where Derwin did something that was a game-changer, the won the game for the Chargers or sealed a win?

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
            Moderate Skeptic
            • May 2022
            • Send PM

Oar in the water? Not sure that metaphor/pop reference/whatever it is. Sorry

I am more sorry though for your disappointment. Elite players don’t always make every play, No elite player ever has or ever will. I hope knowing this in the future helps in the event the situation arises again. Be strong, for the kids. Look at it this way, it’s not like KC was stuffed 3-out by every other defense except the Chargers. They do this regularly. not sure if you knew but Kelce and Mahomes are all-pro players too.
            Putting you 'oar in the water' means giving your opinion.

Stop being foolish and read my post - I said this . . . . . 'Nobody makes every play ALL the time'. If you spent more time reading and understanding others posts and less time coming up with smarmy and condescending responses life would be better . . . . . . . for us all. Give it a try

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
              Moderate Skeptic
              • May 2022
              • Send PM

It's more than just James. Bosa and Mack need to make their presence felt as well . . . . . . . in Joey's case he's got to stay on the field . . . . . and NOT lose his mind.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Aug 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Maybe Staley's Sophisticated System is also the reason why K9 is not doing all that great the past couple years...seems Murray did better in the Gus D...
                K9 is bad. I don't believe in him. He was decent in his rookie season, but since then just doesn't appear to be that dude.

And people don't like Staley's system. When Bradley's system wasn't much better and people were bothered with Gus'.

Ah yes - coaching . . . . . . . . . on the defensive side of the ball. Hopefully the offensive problem has been removed . . . . .

The realities of a capped league are that if you're not getting game changing production (of some kind) from your highest paid players then you're not going to be winning many games . . . . . . . It may not be fair, but that's what you sign up for when your salary is a significant portion of the cap . . . . . . . . you're going to get a high level of pressure / scrutiny, and you're going to be EXPECTED to carry the team (in some fashion).

Just my opinion, but out of all of our highest paid players, ie; James, Bosa, Mack, Jackson, Williams, Allen, Herbert (soon to be), only Herbert has carried the team - as an elite player should . . . . . . .
                Mack has made game changing plays with this team many times last season. James has made game changing plays like in the Cardinals game and in the Colts game before he got ejected. The others have made big plays for the team before, but they get overlooked by the skeptics because of recency bias. The only one I would question is JC Jackson. I'm interested to see how he does without the injuries nagging him. As far as elite players making elite plays goes, they're not going to be doing such thing all the time. They're going to have times when they aren't doing so.

This is cliched, but it's a team game. The non-elite players need to do better too. You need depth, and this team isn't that deep or that good outside of the star players. You can't win just by relying on your so-called elite talent.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                  HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Derwin INT'd Derrick Carr to seal the Chargers' win against the Raiders in 2021. Last season he body-slammed Kelce and prevented a TD in the game at KC. The Chargers didn't win though. Can you find a play where Derwin did something that was a game-changer, the won the game for the Chargers or sealed a win?
                  Big James fan. I know you are, too. But I understand what you are saying. When I think of elite safeties over the years, I think Ronnie Lott, Ed Reed, Earl Thomas, Donnie Shell (going back a few years), Palamolu, Rodney Harrision. All guys who took games over at times or made game turning plays when needed. James is great but I wonder if him being asked to play basically every position on the defense elminates his ability to dominate one position like these guys did. Maybe without him doing what he does now, the entire defense would suffer and that is the tradeoff Staley is making? I think if Gus had stayed, James would be looking like a HOF right now (not advocating for Gus, but he had a very simple defense that highlighted both safeties.)

TG
                  Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

Big James fan. I know you are, too. But I understand what you are saying. When I think of elite safeties over the years, I think Ronnie Lott, Ed Reed, Earl Thomas, Donnie Shell (going back a few years), Palamolu, Rodney Harrision. All guys who took games over at times or made game turning plays when needed. James is great but I wonder if him being asked to play basically every position on the defense elminates his ability to dominate one position like these guys did. Maybe without him doing what he does now, the entire defense would suffer and that is the tradeoff Staley is making? I think if Gus had stayed, James would be looking like a HOF right now (not advocating for Gus, but he had a very simple defense that highlighted both safeties.)

TG
                    I think you make some good points. His best season IMO was his rookie year in Gus Brad's D. He lost two seasons, basically, to injury. Then he came back in Staley's D. I think he's capable and he might play more to his potential in a simpler defense. I've thought of that too. Staley has to figure this out.

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

It's more than just James. Bosa and Mack need to make their presence felt as well . . . . . . . in Joey's case he's got to stay on the field . . . . . and NOT lose his mind.
                      I'm very enthusiastic about the coming season and our front 7 led by Kendricks. I expect to see consistency that will make opponents wish they had a chance to make that one splash game winning play.

Comment

• WindsorUK
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2013
                        • Windsor, U.K.
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

TG
                        This is the point I made a while back.
                        Put him in 1 spot and let him be the best player in the league at that position, whether it be FS or SS.

Comment

• WindsorUK
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2013
                          • Windsor, U.K.
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

I'm very enthusiastic about the coming season and our front 7 led by Kendricks. I expect to see consistency that will make opponents wish they had a chance to make that one splash game winning play.
                          Out DL looks quite deep for a change and Kendricks will certainly be an upgrade to Tranquil.
                          If Murray figures it out and Henley becomes what we think he should be, our D might finally be solid.

Comment

Working...
                          X