• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jox g
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Oct 2020
    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

especially since the narrative is that he was finally getting the defense down towards the end of the season.
    KVN is a no-brainer signing if he wants to come back for cheap, and all indications are that.
    Rumph is a body.
    Rump = Buttocks. My RUMP is on my body

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
      Moderate Skeptic
      • May 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post
      Van Noy tweeting out he is not coming back
      they want to go younger
      says the defense will be fine if they get Safety and CB
      leaders are Mack, James and Kendricks

So hopefully the Chargers bring in a safety whether its JJ3 or somebody. Just for competition - if they don't win the job - cut them on labor day
      If by 'younger' management means the UDFA's they picked up - good luck. Rumph is JAG (barely), Tuli's a rookie, and all the rest are UDFA rookies - if they even make the squad. If they don't bring in a solid vet for backup purposes (like KVN or Floyd) they're idiots.

Comment

• chargeroo
        Fan since 1961
        • Jan 2019
        • Oregon
        • Retired Manager/Pastor
        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Bad news. KVN is a champion, leader and [playmaker. He was one of our best players on D last season. Chargers blowing it
        I agree. KVN is a valuable member of our defense. Bring him back, to hell with his age.
        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• gzubeck
          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
          • Jan 2019
          • Tucson, AZ
          • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

I agree. KVN is a valuable member of our defense. Bring him back, to hell with his age.
          One word..."Leadership!"
          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

PFF ranks KVN as #13 Edge FA (I didnt check if any of these others already signed). For what its worth - my 2022 recollection is he contributed a whole lot of nothing for over half of the season, then was more valuable later in the year. I don't know that means that in 2023 he would deliver his very best moments from the long 2022 season early often and continuously.

He had 46 combined tackles and 5 sacks - hardly all-world to be in such a lather imo.

Marcus Davenport and Jadeveon Clowney headline PFF's list of the top available free-agent edge defenders ahead of 2023 NFL free agency.
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• SAY OW 55
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2023
              • Send PM

Hopkins why not? We got the best Quarterback just give him more receiver options.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                French Speaking Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Québec city
                • Send PM

Originally posted by SAY OW 55 View Post
                Hopkins why not? We got the best Quarterback just give him more receiver options.
                How much does it cost ?

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                  Moderate Skeptic
                  • May 2022
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
                  PFF ranks KVN as #13 Edge FA (I didnt check if any of these others already signed). For what its worth - my 2022 recollection is he contributed a whole lot of nothing for over half of the season, then was more valuable later in the year. I don't know that means that in 2023 he would deliver his very best moments from the long 2022 season early often and continuously.

He had 46 combined tackles and 5 sacks - hardly all-world to be in such a lather imo.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2023-fr...-edge-defender

What were Mack's numbers for comparison? And we would need him as a backup - not for all world . . . . . . .

I looked up the stats just for fun;

KVN: 2022 702 snaps, 46 total tackles, 5 sacks, 1 FF, 2 FR, 3 PD's - 2022 salary $2,250,000
                  KM: 2022 861 snaps, 50 total tackles, 8 sacks, 2 FF, 2 FR, 2 PD's - 2023 salary $22,900,000, $16,632,500 cap hit

KM is better (marginally), but not by as much as you would think considering he's 'all world' in everyone's opinion (he's not any more).

KVN has shown he's more than adequate as a backup. Adjusted for snap count the lines would look like this:

KVN: 861 snaps, 56 total tackles, 6 sacks, 1 FF, 2 FR, 3 PD's (all adjusted 1.22% and rounded down)
                  KM: 861 snaps, 50 total tackles, 8 sacks, 2 FF, 2 FR, 2 PD's​

Now figure in the salaries. Why wouldn't we be considering KVN as a backup again this year? Assuming that he would sign a contract similar to last years??????????

I'm actually quite surprised by this analysis / comparison. Is KVN as good as KM? No - but conversely is KM 10 time better than KVN? Cause that's what we're paying him. This analysis highlights the team's failure to allocate cap $$$'s properly. It's not just Mack, it's Bosa and James as well. It's not that these guys aren't good players (even Bosa ), it's that they don't produce to their salaries. IMO this is on management. These salaries are currently a millstone around the team's neck - hamstringing their ability to bring in more talent.
                  Last edited by Lefty2SLO; 05-26-2023, 03:08 PM.

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

What were Mack's numbers for comparison? And we would need him as a backup - not for all world . . . . . . .
                    Mack 2022 42 Tkl, 8.5 sacks

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                      Moderate Skeptic
                      • May 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Mack 2022 42 Tkl, 8.5 sacks
                      See analysis above . . . . . . .

Comment

• gzubeck
                        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Tucson, AZ
                        • Send PM

KVN: 2022 702 snaps, 46 total tackles, 5 sacks, 1 FF, 2 FR, 3 PD's - 2022 salary $2,250,000
                        KM: 2022 861 snaps, 50 total tackles, 8 sacks, 2 FF, 2 FR, 2 PD's - 2023 salary $22,900,000, $16,632,500 cap hit

KM is better (marginally), but not by as much as you would think considering he's 'all world' in everyone's opinion (he's not any more).

KVN has shown he's more than adequate as a backup. Adjusted for snap count the lines would look like this:

KVN: 861 snaps, 56 total tackles, 6 sacks, 1 FF, 2 FR, 3 PD's (all adjusted 1.22% and rounded down)

Now figure in the salaries. Why wouldn't we be considering KVN as a backup again this year? Assuming that he would sign a contract similar to last years??????????

I'm actually quite surprised by this analysis / comparison. Is KVN as good as KM? No - but conversely is KM 10 time better than KVN? Cause that's what we're paying him. This analysis highlights the team's failure to allocate cap $$$'s properly. It's not just Mack, it's Bosa and James as well. It's not that these guys aren't good players (even Bosa ), it's that they don't produce to their salaries. IMO this is on management. These salaries are currently a millstone around the team's neck - hamstringing their ability to bring in more talent.

Can't argue with any of this...for a lot of expensive players it's a make it or break it year...
                        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

They could probably sign KVN for what they have Morgan Fox and his numbers weren’t really better

Comment

Working...
                          X