• Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post
    [/B][/I]

Can't argue with any of this...for a lot of expensive players it's a make it or break it year...
    Bottom line is our most expensive players did not perform at the level of their contracts.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
      Moderate Skeptic
      • May 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Bottom line is our most expensive players did not perform at the level of their contracts.
      Yep . . . . . . hard to beat good teams under those conditions. We had success last year - against lesser competition IMO - only because of Herbert. I'm really looking forward to seeing what he can do healthy and with Moore at the offensive helm. Even if we don't win a lot the games should be exciting (and worth watching).

Comment

• gzubeck
        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
        • Jan 2019
        • Tucson, AZ
        • Send PM

I think the Chargers are any easy 10-7 because we will be at least 10% better on offense and 20% better on run defense. Of course I'm factoring in some injuries but nothing that major compared to last year.
        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• sonorajim
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post
          I think the Chargers are any easy 10-7 because we will be at least 10% better on offense and 20% better on run defense. Of course I'm factoring in some injuries but nothing that major compared to last year.
          Yes. I see getting more out of all our position units based on returning to heath, player adds and coaching changes.

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

I’m convinced. We need to start Rumph, Hall, Rountree, Guyton, and Stick, and dump all those high-priced guys ASAP. We’ll be such a better team, just waaaaaay better.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

What were Mack's numbers for comparison? And we would need him as a backup - not for all world . . . . . . .

I looked up the stats just for fun;

KVN: 2022 702 snaps, 46 total tackles, 5 sacks, 1 FF, 2 FR, 3 PD's - 2022 salary $2,250,000
              KM: 2022 861 snaps, 50 total tackles, 8 sacks, 2 FF, 2 FR, 2 PD's - 2023 salary $22,900,000, $16,632,500 cap hit

KM is better (marginally), but not by as much as you would think considering he's 'all world' in everyone's opinion (he's not any more).

KVN has shown he's more than adequate as a backup. Adjusted for snap count the lines would look like this:

KVN: 861 snaps, 56 total tackles, 6 sacks, 1 FF, 2 FR, 3 PD's (all adjusted 1.22% and rounded down)
              KM: 861 snaps, 50 total tackles, 8 sacks, 2 FF, 2 FR, 2 PD's​

Now figure in the salaries. Why wouldn't we be considering KVN as a backup again this year? Assuming that he would sign a contract similar to last years??????????

I'm actually quite surprised by this analysis / comparison. Is KVN as good as KM? No - but conversely is KM 10 time better than KVN? Cause that's what we're paying him. This analysis highlights the team's failure to allocate cap $$$'s properly. It's not just Mack, it's Bosa and James as well. It's not that these guys aren't good players (even Bosa ), it's that they don't produce to their salaries. IMO this is on management. These salaries are currently a millstone around the team's neck - hamstringing their ability to bring in more talent.
              KM’s salary is already baked into the cake. You know how to unbake cakes? Otherwise, come on back to the land of reality. James was pro bowl last year, why do you guys keep calling him a millstone? Weird shit. Bosa did not impress last year riddled with injury, but look at his entire career and its year on, year off. quit worrying, it’s the year of the flip for Joey and the entire team.

Il.Ike KVN, i don’t mind bringing him back, I just don’t think KVN is the one and only true king. There are several edge players they could consider, no obvious reason to lock onto just KVN just because he was here last year.
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                Moderate Skeptic
                • May 2022
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

KM’s salary is already baked into the cake. You know how to unbake cakes? What does this mean? KVN's salary doesn't apply to this year as he's not on the team. Otherwise, come on back to the land of reality. James was pro bowl last year, why do you guys keep calling him a millstone? There's an entire thread about James not performing up to his contract value - which In my opinion is correct. It's my opinion, shared by others - nothing weird about it, just a disagreement Weird shit. Bosa did not impress last year riddled with injury, but look at his entire career and its year on, year off. quit worrying, it’s the year of the flip for Joey and the entire team.

Il.Ike KVN, i don’t mind bringing him back, I just don’t think KVN is the one and only true king. There are several edge players they could consider, no obvious reason to lock onto just KVN just because he was here last year.

KVN himself said (or implied) that the team didn't want him back, and wanted to go younger. My point was why WASN'T KVN being considered as a backup (other than the stated age thing)? His numbers almost matched Mack's - for 1/10 the cost (probably), a guy you know understands the system, proven productive (as a backup), strong leader, former SB champ . . . . . . . but we're going to go another way - go younger?? Which 'younger' guy is out there who can give us what KVN can?

I'm just confused by management's decision making process here - I would have thought KVN (at the same salary as last year) would have been a slam dunk . . . . . . 90% of Mack's production for 1/10 of Mack's cost - talk about weird . . . . . . particularly considering how needy we are at the backup edge position - is this a special teams thing?

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Well, there is the small matter of Lombo holding them back...

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

KVN himself said (or implied) that the team didn't want him back, and wanted to go younger. My point was why WASN'T KVN being considered as a backup (other than the stated age thing)? His numbers almost matched Mack's - for 1/10 the cost (probably), a guy you know understands the system, proven productive (as a backup), strong leader, former SB champ . . . . . . . but we're going to go another way - go younger?? Which 'younger' guy is out there who can give us what KVN can?

I'm just confused by management's decision making process here - I would have thought KVN (at the same salary as last year) would have been a slam dunk . . . . . . 90% of Mack's production for 1/10 of Mack's cost - talk about weird . . . . . . particularly considering how needy we are at the backup edge position - is this a special teams thing?
                    Agree I would have liked to have brought back KVN...excellent ROI for cost...BUT...maybe it's a salary cap issue...TT generally keeps a reserve amount of $ for FA dumpster diving in mid-season...

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                      Moderate Skeptic
                      • May 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Agree I would have liked to have brought back KVN...excellent ROI for cost...BUT...maybe it's a salary cap issue...TT generally keeps a reserve amount of $ for FA dumpster diving in mid-season...
                      It could be a salary thing, but where are we going to get the same production for LESS? Floyd won't be cheaper. The only explanation I can think of is that KVN was demanding some kind of crazy money . . . . . . . . unless they think they're good at edge with what they have now? That's extremely risky . . . . . . . borderline foolhardy

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

It could be a salary thing, but where are we going to get the same production for LESS? Floyd won't be cheaper. The only explanation I can think of is that KVN was demanding some kind of crazy money . . . . . . . . unless they think they're good at edge with what they have now? That's extremely risky . . . . . . . borderline foolhardy
                        Well, if u produced near Mack-like stats for 1/10 the cost, wouldn't u want a raise? I can't blame KVN if he was asking for more...I'm guessing there's SEVERAL teams that would like to have him...

Comment

• Fleet 1
                          TPB Founder
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Kauai
                          • Send PM

Sorry is posted elsewhere. Good little breakdown.

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍