• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lefty2SLO
    Moderate Skeptic
    • May 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

Yup. 2023 is already a throwaway season. 3-14 sounds about right. Aging vets with big cap hits; no money to pursue quality FAs; low draft choices. A complete clusterfuck. Oh, and Staley & Telesco still running the asylum. Can an offseason start off any worse? Best thing for the Chargers to do is go into full rebuild mode. Cut Allen, Mack, Everett, Feiler and 3-4 others, trade Bosa while he has value, take it on the chin in '23, fire Telesco, Staley, and the rest of the coaching staff as soon as the season is over and TRY (against all hope, probably, with the Span-Asses running the show) to do it right next time.
    Wow . . . . I don't think it's quite THAT bad

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

It is a total indictment of Telesco

If he drafted better he would haven't to use free agency to build his roster - only augment.
      Says every fan of every team.

Philly went & got some free agents as well. They just happened not have as many injuries, have a real good OL and run game. They also made a key trade or two getting AJ Brown for one.

And they also have a young coach.
      11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
      35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
      37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
      66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
      69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
      100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
      110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
      140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
      181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
      225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
        Moderate Skeptic
        • May 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

"All In" didn't mean forever all is lost if no SB 2022.
        Guaranteed Telesco and 25 year vet Ed McGuire had and have a plan going forward.
        Staley is starting his 2023 plan with the quality young vet OC.
        It will be interesting, agreed.
        Looking forward to see how they manage FA & draft.
        Agreed . . . . Don't the cap experts typically plan 2 to 3 years out? I can't believe that they went all in last year with NO PLAN in place for the aftermath (win or lose).

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jan 2019
          • Ontario , Canada
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

You really don’t think bosa would have a market? His PFF stats alone in regards to pressures would net the chargers two early picks in the next couple of drafts, maybe a 2 this year and a 2 next, I’m speculating about compensation but I do think there would be a market he’s under 30 and signed thru 2025, plus the chargers have already paid the bulk of his deal…I think his market would be a lot bigger one than keenan’s, even tho to us keenan is actually more valuable in 2023…
          Maybe. he has only played all games in 3 season out of 7 though. Last year he only played 5 games. Maybe a trade is possible but teams have to be concerned given his injury history vs if he had played a full season last year so would want a discount IMO.

We got Mack for 2nd and he is healthy, maybe a 3rd for Bosa

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Agreed . . . . Don't the cap experts typically plan 2 to 3 years out? I can't believe that they went all in last year with NO PLAN in place for the aftermath (win or lose).
            If you truly are looking at the cap year to year and not in 3 to 5 year blocks - I think you are doing it wrong

Comment

• wu-dai clan
              Smooth Operation
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

The League Year begins March 15 at 4PM New York time.

Control yourselves.
              We do not play modern football.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                The League Year begins March 15 at 4PM New York time.

Control yourselves.
                People already throwing in the towel and the season has not even started yet, no roster moves have been made, the coaching staff isn't complete and the draft hasn't happened. Yikes.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

It's about to get real, richpjr.
                  I know you can handle it.
                  Definitely worried about others.
                  We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                    Charger Fan since 1978
                    • Sep 2021
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                    The people with encumbering contracts are also the leaders that are involved in building the winning culture.

Has enough of that rubbed off on young, developing players ?

There is a plan, one with numerous preferences and contingencies.

Let it unfold.
                    staley HAD a plan, they pushed the chips into the middle of the table last offseason, now it’s damage control time, that's the plan…
                    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

staley HAD a plan, they pushed the chips into the middle of the table last offseason, now it’s damage control time, that's the plan…
                      I didn't mind the moves they made last year - I thought they had a good quality team
                      Injuries happend
                      So the Chargers can do one of two things
                      1) double down, push a lot of money, bring back the same group, bring in their key guys and have a draft and probably have one more chance if they do something like move 50m of cap to the future

2) be a little more conservative, make one or two tough moves (ttrade, release, etc) - but set yourself up for the next 3 years. Or like Burrow said - the window is open for a long time

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                        Charger Fan since 1978
                        • Sep 2021
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                        Says every fan of every team.

Philly went & got some free agents as well. They just happened not have as many injuries, have a real good OL and run game. They also made a key trade or two getting AJ Brown for one.

And they also have a young coach.
                        The first thing siriani said when hired was,”we’re going to simplify the approach and make the playbook more player friendly” look what happened when staley had to dumb down his defense due to injuries, they actually played faster more decisive football, then derwin and joey returned and staley went back to over thinking shit…
                        :freakout:
                        "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I'd like to see your "elite skill" list of RB's, WR's, and TE's (post-21st pick) from the last 2-3 years of the draft. The post-21st picks @OT and CB are lengthy. I stand ready for the challenge, should you accept.

You may not recognize OT and CB as skilled-focus. But they make all of the players around them better.
                          Improve your run game... protect your QB better... balance your offense... and you'll see your skilled players (already on the roster) improve.
                          Mike Williams led the league in 40+ receptions in 2021... and that was with an inferior OL. Every part of the OL is ready to go (Salyer replaces Feiler). Improve your RT position with an OT (1st/2nd round)... and your whole offense will benefit. Pipkins was average (59.2 PFF) wasn't even as good at OT as Salyer (69.2 PFF). Paying him a 2nd contract makes no sense.

I expect scathing critiques of PFF to follow. But I watched both players rather closely this year. And while I might differ on specific numbers... my eyes tell me that Salyer is better. And you don't have to believe me or PFF. But the team seems to agree, also. The last few games of the season, they rolled extra protection toward Pipkins than they did Salyer...
                          I didnt prioritize skill positions last year, i was more on the beef train. I think we’ve invested in the trench on both sides. I know the PFF grades, i don’t agree with them. He performed very well vs pass rush imo. According to the same PFF, he onl gave up 2 sacks all year. That is phenomenal. I don’t like risking our 2023 season on the bet that we will land a rookie RT that will come in and perform at a high level from Day 1. Thats just me, I’d rather keep the bird thats in my hand.

What my eyes told me watching the Chargers offense is that
                          - Lombo’s rush blocking scheme could not be executed by that group. I don’t believe all 5 OL starters are not athletic or intelligent enough. Right or wrong, I blame scheme and expect Moore will fix it.
                          - Our WRs create little separation. An elite WR that is both fast over the top and can run crisp short/intermediate crossing routes and run away from defenders will help that. He would keep the safeties further back, helping all receivers get open/ more open
                          - We do not have an elite power back. So we use Eke as one. I love Eke, he is awesome, but he is not an elite interior power back.
                          - Our TEs are average. Slone teams have an elite TE that makes a huge difference.

I think the best way to upgrade the offense is not to add more OL players, I think we get more bang for our buck by upgrading the targets. It’s an opinion, I know it’s not the only opinion.
                          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Working...
                          X