Touchy Subject....How is Derwin James "Elite"?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lefty2SLO
    Moderate Skeptic
    • May 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by NoMoreChillies View Post
    i trust the players to know who is best safety in NFL
    Awards are nice . . . . . where was superman when the defense was getting it's ass kicked by Joe Montana (err . . Trevor Lawrence)? Show up when it matters please, otherwise awards mean nothing.

For the record I think Derwin is a really good player, just like Joey.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Aug 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

We should be seeing a Troy or Ed level player with all the hype he gets but we're not even seeing a Rodney level player. I think he's overrated and overpaid.
      Please tell me another joke. DJ brings it every game. He's the best safety in the league right now IMO. We are fortunate to have him.

I'd like to see more players added to the defense that will improve the D. It's going to help DJ a lot.

Comment

• ghost
        The Rise of Kellen Moore
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

You ever seen a safety who could line up at LB. Or FS. Or slot. Or blitz off the corner effectively? Can cover TE, who can also play star or money? His versatility makes him elite.

Comment

• C’monchargers
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Aug 2019
          • Send PM

The only argument that he is “not” elite is the age old “Your Availability Is Your Best Ability” argument. He is a stud, and it would be a challenge to find a team that doesn’t want him on their roster if they can.

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Also his stats are skewed somewhat as OCs scheme plays away from him. And that KC game he was injured in, what were Kelce’s stats before Derwin went out versus after?

Comment

• 21&500
              Bolt Spit-Baller
              • Sep 2018
              • A Whale's Vajayjay
              • CMB refugee
              • Send PM

"Versatility versatility versatility"
              I'm sick of it.
              There is no point in all his versatility if hes not consistently making game changing plays--he simply isn't and it's always someone else's fault.
              If he can consistently make game changing plays, I'll call him "elite"
              I refuse to sit on the word, "elite" because of the scarcity of high level Safety play in the league. If you choose to call him elite because it's technically true, do it, have fun.

at some point we must ask ourselves, what the hell are we trying to do? Win games or show off fancy athleticism?
              his versatility is great for bragging but not so much for winning games.
              I don't think he's being used wisely by asking him to do multiple things, I think it's much wiser to ask him to do 2 things better than 5 things average.
              I questioned Staley from the start and now actively criticize him for over valuing DJ, it's not helping, at least thus far.
              the proof is when the D runs as well or better with a JAG like Alohi out there.

Also, I love you fellow Charger fans, but you all need to stop pretending and stop getting so sensitive when James gets called out.
              He isn't in the same class as a Reed or Polamalo period. Any Steeler or Raven fan can comfortably say that.
              We WANT to believe in him because we see the POTENTIAL, but that's all it is 5 years later.
              Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                I'm sick of it.
                There is no point in all his versatility if hes not consistently making game changing plays--he simply isn't and it's always someone else's fault.
                If he can consistently make game changing plays, I'll call him "elite"
                I refuse to sit on the word, "elite" because of the scarcity of high level Safety play in the league. If you choose to call him elite because it's technically true, do it, have fun.

at some point we must ask ourselves, what the hell are we trying to do? Win games or show off fancy athleticism?
                his versatility is great for bragging but not so much for winning games.
                I don't think he's being used wisely by asking him to do multiple things, I think it's much wiser to ask him to do 2 things better than 5 things average.
                I questioned Staley from the start and now actively criticize him for over valuing DJ, it's not helping, at least thus far.
                the proof is when the D runs as well or better with a JAG like Alohi out there.

Also, I love you fellow Charger fans, but you all need to stop pretending and stop getting so sensitive when James gets called out.
                He isn't in the same class as a Reed or Polamalo period. Any Steeler or Raven fan can comfortably say that.
                We WANT to believe in him because we see the POTENTIAL, but that's all it is 5 years later.
                You did a much better job of saying what I was trying to say.

Comment

• Eurobolt
                  *** Jim Harbaugh ***
                  • Sep 2018
                  • Send PM

DJ is elite, up to BS who is unable to use him to his strenghts.

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                    • Send PM

I also question why DJ is considered elite. He doesn’t make that many impact plays and he doesn’t carry the defense. The defense’s best games this season were while he was out. You allow a team to come from 27 pts behind and beat you? Nobody elite on that defense.

Comment

• Heatmiser
                      HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

I think James is an elite player. But I think his deployment hurts him and the whole defense. I would like to see him stick to one position and be used more like an Ed Reed was. I actually think asking him to do less will result in him doing more, if that makes sense. It feels like Staley is getting too cute and overthinking how to use James.

TG
                      Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Pat_Swindle
                        WustinSlurbert
                        • Apr 2022
                        • Send PM

Haha, did I read this thread right? How is Derwin James elite? I haven't read any of the thread up to this point, so I have to assume someone's already told him. Derwin is a rare rare rare breed, and most definitely a top safety in the NFL.

Comment

• jubei
                          Vagabond Ninja
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

So would you say Justin Herbert is elite or not? Justin is after all a social media QB.
                          Dont get me wrong...I think Derwin is really good but I also thought the D played a lot more cohesively while he was out with injury. Probably cuz staley has no clue on how to properly use him so that he is elite in a small number of things...good at many things but master of none is stalebread

Comment

Working...
                          X