Touchy Subject....How is Derwin James "Elite"?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RollingThunder
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post
    I guess we should just trade everybody and stick with Staley for the next 30 years.

Staley's defense did just fine without him. Not so great with him.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
      Moderate Skeptic
      • May 2022
      • Send PM

I guess we should just trade everybody and stick with Staley for the next 30 years.
      Derwin's a very good player, but it's clear that he's not had the impact you MUST GET for a guy taking up that much salary cap space. If he's not making game changing plays his salary is a handicap for the entire team, along with Bosa's (and Allen's).

This is why elite QB's get more money than any other position - they can make the biggest impact in terms of wins & losses. Anyone think KC's in the SB without Mahomes?

Making a difference is what these guys get paid to do. If they aren't (for whatever reason) then they're a hindrance, not a help. In a salary capped league your stars HAVE to play like stars.

Comment

• rensoul
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2023
        • Send PM

Originally posted by RollingThunder View Post

Derwin is a good player but I think the whole idea that Staley has mentioned about arming Derwin like he's a Qb of the defense and moving him everywhere is stupid.

It just messes with the integrity of the defense and likely confuses his teammates which can lead to blown coverages and missed assignments for a couple occasional splash plays from Derwin. Personally, I think the D would be better served just to play him as a typical strong safety with occasional blitz responsibilities. I think his teammates would play better and so would Derwin.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
          Moderate Skeptic
          • May 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by rensoul View Post

Derwin is a good player but I think the whole idea that Staley has mentioned about arming Derwin like he's a Qb of the defense and moving him everywhere is stupid.

It just messes with the integrity of the defense and likely confuses his teammates which can lead to blown coverages and missed assignments for a couple occasional splash plays from Derwin. Personally, I think the D would be better served just to play him as a typical strong safety with occasional blitz responsibilities. I think his teammates would play better and so would Derwin.
          Although I'm no expert I tend to agree with this. It's difficult even when everyone's got a position and defined responsibilities. I think it would benefit the team and the player to settle on a position and a defined role / responsibilities. Derwin as the swiss army knife of DB's has not worked out too well so far.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by RollingThunder View Post

Against who?

Comment

• jamrock
              lawyers, guns and money
              • Sep 2017
              • Send PM

Against who?
              This is a tough time with your username. Everybody’s shitting on your guys

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2022
                • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

This is a tough time with your username. Everybody’s shitting on your guys
                I don't mind the criticism of Bosa. Derwin? Come on. There aren't three better safeties in the NFL right now.

Let's cut the foolish talk here. We're not going with Alohi Gilman and J.T. Woods next season.

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

I don't mind the criticism of Bosa. Derwin? Come on. There aren't three better safeties in the NFL right now.

Let's cut the foolish talk here. We're not going with Alohi Gilman and J.T. Woods next season.
                  Given our injury bugs we may very well be

Comment

• rensoul
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2023
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post
                    Cincy is going to have a reckoning after this season.

They already said they are going to pay big bucks to Burrow before they really have to. Very un Bengal like.

They ticked off Jesse (football playin' Jesse) Bates by tagging him this season. And now they have to pay Bell, too. And they have three absolutely terrific WRs that could probably all be top dogs on other teams.

TG
                    I think they keep either Bates or Bell and lose one of them to free agency. There might be some drop off at first but I think they prepared for this by drafting Dax Hill this past season with a 1st round pick in preparation to slot into one of starting safety spots next season.

Comment

• 21&500
                      Bolt Spit-Baller
                      • Sep 2018
                      • A Whale's Vajayjay
                      • CMB refugee
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by rensoul View Post

So much this.

PS every HC we've had, there have been times I turned my head and pretended not to see some glaring weakness, in hopes that it wouldn't be an in-going issue.
                      I still remember Mike McCoy throwing a challenge flag at an un challengable play, just to have Rivers pick it up for him. (Yes, Rivers teach his HC how to do his job)
                      My wife and I looked at each other in disbelief and silently, uncomfortably agreed to not talk about it.

This Derwin issue is giving me similar vibes with Staley.
                      All I can say is that there is too small a sample size of our D playing well both with and without him, this season will be very telling. But imo, I suspect our defensive genius is misusing DJ.
                      it's excusable last season as staley finally got, "his guys" around DJ and perhaps over estimated DJs ability to, "Quarterback the defense".

This season, if he chooses to continue this project, we better see results within the first 4 games. Or better yet, give DJ a regular position and let him dominate.
                      .005 Brock Bowers, TE/HB/SR Georgia
                      .037 Braden Fiske, DT Florida St.
                      .069 Mike Sainristil, CB Michigan
                      .105 Brenden Rice, WR USC
                      .110 Mason McCormick, OG/OC S. Dakota St.
                      .140 Zak Zinter, OG Michigan
                      .181 Nehemiah Pritchett, CB Auburn
                      .225 Ainias Smith, WR Texas A&M
                      .253 Carson Steele, RB UCLA

Comment

• jamrock
                        lawyers, guns and money
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

So much this.

PS every HC we've had, there have been times I turned my head and pretended not to see some glaring weakness, in hopes that it wouldn't be an in-going issue.
                        I still remember Mike McCoy throwing a challenge flag at an un challengable play, just to have Rivers pick it up for him. (Yes, Rivers teach his HC how to do his job)
                        My wife and I looked at each other in disbelief and silently, uncomfortably agreed to not talk about it.

All I can say is that there is too small a sample size of our D playing well both with and without him, this season will be very telling. But imo, I suspect our defensive genius is misusing DJ.
                        it's excusable last season as staley finally got, "his guys" around DJ and perhaps over estimated DJs ability to, "Quarterback the defense".

This season, if he chooses to continue this project, we better see results within the first 4 games. Or better yet, give DJ a regular position and let him dominate.
                        Love the bolded.

Yes, the DJ as swiss army knife experiment failed. He lost the green dot in game 4 and never seemed like the guy who got the big contract.

Maybe people should just say what they say about Nasir, Murray and others who fail to live up to expectations. He was drafted for the GusD.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                          Moderate Skeptic
                          • May 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

So much this.

One of my major concerns with Staley is his stubbornness in dealing with (his) failures. It would be like him to burn thru 1/4 or even 1/2 of next season before admitting the DJ experiment wasn't working. Winning in the NFL is extremely hard - we have to be able to maximize the abilities of all of our players, and the coaching staff should be the ones who make decisions as to who plays where and what their responsibilities are, depending on their specific abilities - not the players. I think he also defers too much to his star players - trying too hard to be a 'players coach'.

We'll se if he's learned anything . . . . .

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍