Touchy Subject....How is Derwin James "Elite"?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigBad
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Sep 2019
    • Send PM

Touchy Subject....How is Derwin James "Elite"?

I've watched a ton of football most of my life but I am more of a basketball X&Os guy. So I'm asking the football X&O guys this question.

Is Derwin James a Joker of all trades and a master of none? What I mean by this is he gets all the votes for all pro and everyone raves about how versatile he is. That maybe true but is he an elite safety? He does a lot but I don't see elite traits in any of those things. He takes bad tackling angles at times, gets burnt in coverage, and overruns pressures. The defense also seems to play a tad more fundamental when he is out. I love the guys passion and motor but can anyone enlighten me on this? If you think I'm crazy, go ahead and tell me, that is fine because I'm just curious and probably ignorant about Football X&Os.
  • 21&500
    Bolt Spit-Baller
    • Sep 2018
    • A Whale's Vajayjay
    • CMB refugee
    • Send PM

Fair question at this point.
    .005 Brock Bowers, TE/HB/SR Georgia
    .037 Braden Fiske, DT Florida St.
    .069 Mike Sainristil, CB Michigan
    .105 Brenden Rice, WR USC
    .110 Mason McCormick, OG/OC S. Dakota St.
    .140 Zak Zinter, OG Michigan
    .181 Nehemiah Pritchett, CB Auburn
    .225 Ainias Smith, WR Texas A&M
    .253 Carson Steele, RB UCLA

Comment

• FoutsFan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Birmingham AL
      • Send PM

Originally posted by BigBad View Post
      I've watched a ton of football most of my life but I am more of a basketball X&Os guy. So I'm asking the football X&O guys this question.

Is Derwin James a Joker of all trades and a master of none? What I mean by this is he gets all the votes for all pro and everyone raves about how versatile he is. That maybe true but is he an elite safety? He does a lot but I don't see elite traits in any of those things. He takes bad tackling angles at times, gets burnt in coverage, and overruns pressures. The defense also seems to play a tad more fundamental when he is out. I love the guys passion and motor but can anyone enlighten me on this? If you think I'm crazy, go ahead and tell me, that is fine because I'm just curious and probably ignorant about Football X&Os.
      He i an All Pro, but Staley does stretch him way to thin. I actually think the way Gus Bradley played Derwin was better. He does many things well but its time to streamline his role and take some things (Nickle) off his pate

Comment

• Riverwalk
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2021
        • Send PM

Originally posted by BigBad View Post

He’s the best safety on the team by a long shot. As far as criticizing players, you’re barking up the wrong tree.

Comment

• SK21209
          Registered Charger Fan
          • May 2020
          • San Diego
          • Send PM

The whole split-safety, Staley/Fangio scheme is predicated on his versatility, which I do think obscures his impact some. It's like how Merriman and Phillips got all the fanfare in Wade Phillips's 3-4 defense but Jamal was the guy that made it all possible. The defense "seems to play more fundamental" when he is out because Staley has to run an entirely different scheme when he's out, he has to simplify coverages and play way more press rather than trying to sit back and confuse the QB every play. I'm really turning against the whole Staley/Fangio style of defense.

Comment

• Kellyb72601
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Sep 2019
            • Send PM

Take any evaluation of him since his quad injury with a grain of salt. He's been a lot more injured than we were told. He's been running at maybe 60%

Comment

• BigBad
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

He’s the best safety on the team by a long shot. As far as criticizing players, you’re barking up the wrong tree.
              Agree and that position is not a strength of the team at all. It's kind of my concern.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Admin: I modified the title, as it really isn't a touchy subject. I'll change titles if I consider it 'click bait'. Just state the topic.

Comment

• HerbieParadigm
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2022
                  • Send PM

I would play James like Troy letting him freelance around the LOS, especialy play more press coverage. Now on 2nd and 3rd and long be Ed Reed playing center field for picks. James stinks in coverage like Troy did.

Comment

• jamrock
                    lawyers, guns and money
                    • Sep 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by HerbieParadigm View Post
                    I would play James like Troy letting him freelance around the LOS, especialy play more press coverage. Now on 2nd and 3rd and long be Ed Reed playing center field for picks. James stinks in coverage like Troy did.
                    We should be seeing a Troy or Ed level player with all the hype he gets but we're not even seeing a Rodney level player. I think he's overrated and overpaid.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
                      Outback Goon
                      • Sep 2018
                      • Australia
                      • Send PM

i trust the players to know who is best safety in NFL

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      😀
                      😂