• Show
Clear All
  • lightsout42
    Hire a winning coach
    • Oct 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Don't want much, do ya . . . . .
    I’m a Chargers fan. I want to win a Super Bowl next year but will probably have to settle for forum aspirations.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by lightsout42 View Post
      I’m not happy with much of the 2022 season and, in my view, substandard talent acquisition and coaching (except for ST). But, though I remain skeptical, I will now endeavor to be optimistic and hope for the following in 2023:
      • An innovative OC/system
      • Quality/thoughtful halftime adjustments (both O and D)
      • A 60% pass / 40% rush attack
      • Intentional ground game and 4.6+ YPC
      • Play action
      • Improvement in run defense (top 15)
      • Tough and sound play in all 4 quarters
        Consistency in all phases
      • Health and luck
      Yes, they should search for the best orange slices they can find.

The rest, agree. Especially the last one.

Comment

• gzubeck
        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
        • Jan 2019
        • Tucson, AZ
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Might explain why Payton manning was shutdown sometimes...no orange slices left...
        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• lightsout42
          Hire a winning coach
          • Oct 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Or, you know, the coaches could make sure they adjust to their opposition and how the game is actually being played.

But maybe it’s just as simple as better orange slices,
          enough ice, and bananas.

“It is actually a requirement in the NFL’s game operations manual that each home team provide ‘three dozen sliced oranges for halftime’ for the visiting team (Home teams must also provide, among other things: 500 pounds of ice, 3 cartons of gum, 1 large pot of coffee, 150 wash cloths and 3 dozen bananas).​” Jayson Jenks, “The NFL's sticky, sweet halftime snack? Orange slices​,” The Athletic (Jan. 14, 2021), online at https://theathletic.com/2321509/2021...?amp=1.​

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

I’m not happy with much of the 2022 season and, in my view, substandard talent acquisition and coaching (except for ST). But, though I remain skeptical, I will now endeavor to be optimistic and hope for the following in 2023:
            • An innovative OC/system
            • Quality/thoughtful halftime adjustments (both O and D)
            • A 60% pass / 40% rush attack
            • Intentional ground game and 4.6+ YPC
            • Play action
            • Improvement in run defense (top 15)
            • Tough and sound play in all 4 quarters
              Consistency in all phases
            • Health and luck
            Would you be interested in some RPO ?
            You don't know ball

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
              Moderate Skeptic
              • May 2022
              • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
              We have a lot of jags on the roster..
              Cincy just crushed Buffalo with an entire Oline of JAG's . . . . If you have elite talent at a few positions (QB, WR, CB, DE) you CAN be successful.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Cincy just crushed Buffalo with an entire Oline of JAG's . . . . If you have elite talent at a few positions (QB, WR, CB, DE) you CAN be successful.
                CIN has invested in OL talent and depth. BUF's sack numbers dropped off dramatically after Von went out.

Josh Allen had accuracy problems yesterday. Stephon Diggs was very mad about that.

The Chargers have tried to do exactly what you point out.

(QB, WR, CB, DE)

Herbert, KA/MW, JC, Bosa.
                All injured in 2022.

Although I have a slightly different perspective than you, Lefty, and jammer re OL, what you say is quite true.

My question is now what...precisely and specifically now what ?

As personnel is my thing,
                and I see four teams superior to us in in talent level and depth.
                You don't know ball

Comment

• lightsout42
                  Hire a winning coach
                  • Oct 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Would you be interested in some RPO ?
                  Seems like something that would be effective to mix in given Herbert’s strengths, but wouldn’t make it the primary strategy. (And someone should tell Zion to not block downfield.)

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Seems like something that would be effective to mix in given Herbert’s strengths, but wouldn’t make it the primary strategy. (And someone should tell Zion to not block downfield.)
                    Sounds exciting !
                    I like that you have lofty, positive goals.
                    IMV you are spot on in areas of focus.
                    For example, Staley must improve in clock management and adjustments, especially late second quarter, early third quarter and game end.
                    I am up for the challenge of coming up with ideas to transform our personnel situation.
                    You don't know ball

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                      Moderate Skeptic
                      • May 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

CIN has invested in OL talent and depth. BUF's sack numbers dropped off dramatically after Von went out.

Josh Allen had accuracy problems yesterday. Stephon Diggs was very mad about that.

The Chargers have tried to do exactly what you point out.

(QB, WR, CB, DE)

Herbert, KA/MW, JC, Bosa.
                      All injured in 2022.

Although I have a slightly different perspective than you, Lefty, and jammer re OL, what you say is quite true.

My question is now what...precisely and specifically now what ?

As personnel is my thing,
                      and I see four teams superior to us in in talent level and depth.

Much will depend on who we keep among our own FA's, but here's how I see our most important needs at the moment:

OFFENSE:
                      We have to be able to run effectively and consistently, and throw deep (enough) to stretch and open up the defense. The new OC will need to recalibrate JH and be FLEXIBLE and CREATIVE in his schemes. I believe we already have the backs to run effectively, if the Oline blocks better and the offensive scheme and playcalling is better. Look for more late round / undrafted RB additions. I believe that, with the right coaching / scheme, the offense will be easier to fix than the defense.

OLINE: Slater / Salyer / Linsley / Johnson / Pipkins = good enough, IF we keep Pip, IF they stay healthy. DEPTH MUST BE BETTER. Despite our injuries we were lucky in the sense that Linsley only missed a few games. He's the key - I shudder to think what would happen if he were to miss significant time. Look for mid level draftees (3rd / 4th / 5th) and FA's to bolster depth, with a priority at the center position. Clapp, Jaimus, Norton = gone / upgraded, Feiler to backup. I'd give Sarell another year - might be something there.

WR: As discussed ad-nauseum we need more speed here. If Guyton can come back healthy then just 1 (more) speed receiver, if not we need 2. Chaincrusher WAS right in that Allen, Williams and Palmer are all similar in that they don't threaten deep (well). We can't go into 23 with only 1 speed guy though, need at least 2 on the 53. I'm disappointed none of our practice squad guys have managed to elevate themselves. I'd keep Carter - he was average as both a kick returner and maybe a bit above average at WR but it's a bonus that he can perform both (well enough). Yes - that's 6 WR's.

TE: Everett is average, Parham is inconsistent (and fragile), McKitty is meh and can be gone / upgraded. We need more from this group - priority draft - 1st / 2nd rounder.

DEFENSE:
                      Where to start; how about a new DC (wishful thinking)? We need to be able to stop the run and pressure the QB better (not rocket science). A lot of the pieces are already here, as long as they're used correctly (scheme / coaching). Offensive improvements will benefit the defense significantly.

PASS RUSH: Bosa is a mess, usually misses extended time due to injuries, and Mack can't do it alone - priority draft - 1st / 2nd rounder. Van Noy is acceptable depth (if he stays), jury's out on Rumph - we need him to make a big jump in productivity in his 3rd year. Must resign Fox for interior PR. IMO Bosa is gone after 23 - need to draft / develop a replacement.

INTERIOR DL: Need another quality interior DL - priority draft - 1st / 2nd rounder. Must be able to stop the run and control the LOS with the DL.

ILB: MUST keep Tranquill!! Massive hole if he leaves. Need another impact player at this position - priority draft - 1st / 2nd rounder.

SECONDARY: Lumping all these guys together, and am assuming that JCJ does not return (in any meaningful way) in 23. Really have no clue here - I believe we already have the personnel. Need to have Woods be productive, need to keep Callahan, need Derwin to make an impact (in the win column - not just on the stat sheet), COACHING and SCHEME needs to improve (dramatically).

TEAMS:
                      Stay the course; Dicker and Scott are better than average. Coverage improved dramatically in 22 - keep it going.

INTANGIBLES: IMO here's where we have the biggest issues - going well beyond X's & O's / schemes. A group of (good) replacement offensive coaches; OC, QB, etc will help, but this team needs to develop mental toughness, which starts with the team leaders (coaches AND players). The HC sets the tone for all of this, and by now you all know how I feel about that position. I don't believe Staley has the ability to provide the level of leadership necessary, and many of the players in leadership positions - Bosa, James, Herbert - are either not the type to challenge or confront (Herbert), or are part of the problem (Bosa, James).

I don't see a solution to this issue currently - we're just going to have to hope for the best . . . . . brings to mind the old saw about 'doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is the definition of insanity'.

By the end of 23, in typical Charger fashion, they'll have managed to burn up (waste) most of Herbert's best value years with 1 year of Lynn and 3 years of Staley. They just cannot get out of their own way . . . . sigh.
                      :smh:

If I had to establish draft priority now it would look like this;
                      1) Interior DL
                      2) Pass rusher
                      3) ILB
                      4) TE / WR (tie)
                      5) Oline

All predicated on who is available at our selection (of course).

Team priority FA's;
                      Tranquill
                      Pipkins
                      Callahan
                      Fox

Blast away . . . . . .

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                        Smooth Operation
                        • May 2017
                        • Send PM

OK. Good post from slotown.
                        You don't know ball

Comment

• chargeroo
                          Fan since 1961
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Oregon
                          • Retired Manager/Pastor
                          • Send PM

Much will depend on who we keep among our own FA's, but here's how I see our most important needs at the moment:

OFFENSE:
                          We have to be able to run effectively and consistently, and throw deep (enough) to stretch and open up the defense. The new OC will need to recalibrate JH and be FLEXIBLE and CREATIVE in his schemes. I believe we already have the backs to run effectively, if the Oline blocks better and the offensive scheme and playcalling is better. Look for more late round / undrafted RB additions. I believe that, with the right coaching / scheme, the offense will be easier to fix than the defense.

OLINE: Slater / Salyer / Linsley / Johnson / Pipkins = good enough, IF we keep Pip, IF they stay healthy. DEPTH MUST BE BETTER. Despite our injuries we were lucky in the sense that Linsley only missed a few games. He's the key - I shudder to think what would happen if he were to miss significant time. Look for mid level draftees (3rd / 4th / 5th) and FA's to bolster depth, with a priority at the center position. Clapp, Jaimus, Norton = gone / upgraded, Feiler to backup. I'd give Sarell another year - might be something there.

WR: As discussed ad-nauseum we need more speed here. If Guyton can come back healthy then just 1 (more) speed receiver, if not we need 2. Chaincrusher WAS right in that Allen, Williams and Palmer are all similar in that they don't threaten deep (well). We can't go into 23 with only 1 speed guy though, need at least 2 on the 53. I'm disappointed none of our practice squad guys have managed to elevate themselves. I'd keep Carter - he was average as both a kick returner and maybe a bit above average at WR but it's a bonus that he can perform both (well enough). Yes - that's 6 WR's.

TE: Everett is average, Parham is inconsistent (and fragile), McKitty is meh and can be gone / upgraded. We need more from this group - priority draft - 1st / 2nd rounder.

DEFENSE:
                          Where to start; how about a new DC (wishful thinking)? We need to be able to stop the run and pressure the QB better (not rocket science). A lot of the pieces are already here, as long as they're used correctly (scheme / coaching). Offensive improvements will benefit the defense significantly.

PASS RUSH: Bosa is a mess, usually misses extended time due to injuries, and Mack can't do it alone - priority draft - 1st / 2nd rounder. Van Noy is acceptable depth (if he stays), jury's out on Rumph - we need him to make a big jump in productivity in his 3rd year. Must resign Fox for interior PR. IMO Bosa is gone after 23 - need to draft / develop a replacement.

INTERIOR DL: Need another quality interior DL - priority draft - 1st / 2nd rounder. Must be able to stop the run and control the LOS with the DL.

ILB: MUST keep Tranquill!! Massive hole if he leaves. Need another impact player at this position - priority draft - 1st / 2nd rounder.

SECONDARY: Lumping all these guys together, and am assuming that JCJ does not return (in any meaningful way) in 23. Really have no clue here - I believe we already have the personnel. Need to have Woods be productive, need to keep Callahan, need Derwin to make an impact (in the win column - not just on the stat sheet), COACHING and SCHEME needs to improve (dramatically).

TEAMS:
                          Stay the course; Dicker and Scott are better than average. Coverage improved dramatically in 22 - keep it going.

INTANGIBLES: IMO here's where we have the biggest issues - going well beyond X's & O's / schemes. A group of (good) replacement offensive coaches; OC, QB, etc will help, but this team needs to develop mental toughness, which starts with the team leaders (coaches AND players). The HC sets the tone for all of this, and by now you all know how I feel about that position. I don't believe Staley has the ability to provide the level of leadership necessary, and many of the players in leadership positions - Bosa, James, Herbert - are either not the type to challenge or confront (Herbert), or are part of the problem (Bosa, James).

I don't see a solution to this issue currently - we're just going to have to hope for the best . . . . . brings to mind the old saw about 'doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results is the definition of insanity'.

By the end of 23, in typical Charger fashion, they'll have managed to burn up (waste) most of Herbert's best value years with 1 year of Lynn and 3 years of Staley. They just cannot get out of their own way . . . . sigh.
                          :smh:

If I had to establish draft priority now it would look like this;
                          1) Interior DL
                          2) Pass rusher
                          3) ILB
                          4) TE / WR (tie)
                          5) Oline

All predicated on who is available at our selection (of course).

Team priority FA's;
                          Tranquill
                          Pipkins
                          Callahan
                          Fox

Blast away . . . . . .

I'm with you. I pretty much agree with you on the entire post.
                          THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡