• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Yes - somewhat handicapping us in FA, unless they want to start robbing Peter to pay Paul, although if they're going to go that route the next couple of years (before JH's cap hit skyrockets) would be the time to do it.
    Herbert's 5th year option starts in 2024. If they choose to use the option, Herbert will cost $30 million against 2024's cap. Basically, they have 1 year.
    If they extend him ($45 million per year) they could lower the $30 million in 2024... but then they'd have to "back load" the contract and, in effect, make those cap hits for 2025+ bigger.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
      Moderate Skeptic
      • May 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Herbert's 5th year option starts in 2024. If they choose to use the option, Herbert will cost $30 million against 2024's cap. Basically, they have 1 year.
      If they extend him ($45 million per year) they could lower the $30 million in 2024... but then they'd have to "back load" the contract and, in effect, make those cap hits for 2025+ bigger.
      Well . . . crap. 1 year it is then.

There's still hope though - I thought KC would be gutted by Mahomes' contract, but they are managing to reload . . . .

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
        Moderate Skeptic
        • May 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Well . . . crap. 1 year it is then.

There's still hope though - I thought KC would be gutted by Mahomes' contract, but they are managing to reload . . . .
        Let's give JH a 20 year contract with a 50 mil balloon payment 5 years after he retires, or an ownership stake . . . . I basically want to be gone before cap hell hits!

Comment

• charger1_sj
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

That's not necessarily a great idea. After the 5th year Herbert would be a UFA. So we'd have to extend him before the end of the year. That would give
          his agent more leverage. Our only option would be to play ball with his agent or FTag him. Players hate that and for good reason. Best would be to
          agree to a contract before the end of 2023 season. Either way he's going to get his money.

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

That's not necessarily a great idea. After the 5th year Herbert would be a UFA. So we'd have to extend him before the end of the year. That would give
            his agent more leverage. Our only option would be to play ball with his agent or FTag him. Players hate that and for good reason. Best would be to
            agree to a contract before the end of 2023 season. Either way he's going to get his money.
            Yep.

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2021
              • Send PM

The bottom line is if they want a better run game, they need better Oline coaches. I have complete faith in Ek, Kelly, Spiller and Horvath as long as the Oline coaches are switched out. I don’t understand why they do not have some sort of jumbo package with Horvath at RB and an Olinemen or Dlinemen as FB. They need to get more creative with Horvath as well. I think he is a weapon they underutilized.

Comment

• cmplxgal
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2017
                • New Jersey
                • Send PM

I think the Chargers are going to have to release Mack, even though they just spent a second-round pick to acquire him and they're very thin at edge. Maybe he would be willing to re-sign for a lower salary. But the Chargers are starting out $20M over the estimated 2023 cap according to Over the Cap, and by my calculations they're going to need to create about $39M in cap space (initial $20M deficit plus $11M to re-sign some of their free agents, $3M for draft picks, and $5M free space that Telesco likes to keep [actually Popper says it's usually $7M]). I don't see how they do that without releasing either Mack (saving $22.9M​) or Allen (saving $17.5M). They'll still have to release or waive several other players (Hopkins, Feiler, maybe Everett, maybe McKitty, maybe Murray). They can't really restructure contracts, at least past 2023, because Herbert's big extension will kick in in 2024. This is where Telesco's drafting failures outside the first round really hurt.

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post
                  I think the Chargers are going to have to release Mack, even though they just spent a second-round pick to acquire him and they're very thin at edge. Maybe he would be willing to re-sign for a lower salary. But the Chargers are starting out $20M over the estimated 2023 cap according to Over the Cap, and by my calculations they're going to need to create about $39M in cap space (initial $20M deficit plus $11M to re-sign some of their free agents, $3M for draft picks, and $5M free space that Telesco likes to keep [actually Popper says it's usually $7M]). I don't see how they do that without releasing either Mack (saving $22.9M​) or Allen (saving $17.5M). They'll still have to release or waive several other players (Hopkins, Feiler, maybe Everett, maybe McKitty, maybe Murray). They can't really restructure contracts, at least past 2023, because Herbert's big extension will kick in in 2024. This is where Telesco's drafting failures outside the first round really hurt.
                  Cant release Mack. Who would pay for the team dinners?

Comment

• Berserker76
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post
                    The bottom line is if they want a better run game, they need better Oline coaches. I have complete faith in Ek, Kelly, Spiller and Horvath as long as the Oline coaches are switched out. I don’t understand why they do not have some sort of jumbo package with Horvath at RB and an Olinemen or Dlinemen as FB. They need to get more creative with Horvath as well. I think he is a weapon they underutilized.
                    Agree.

Comment

• GetBolted
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Mar 2021
                      • Butler, PA
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post
                      I was pulling my hair out last part of the season wondering why Horvath was not being utilized. First two games he scored 2 TD's then nothing. Dude can catch and run and I figured maybe Lombo was saving him for a couple of special plays in the playoffs, but my hopes were misplaced. Glad Lombo is gone and hope the next OC is smart enough to use Horvath. Ek is Ek and does Ek things, Kelly has gotten better and disapointed Spiller wasn't given more carries.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post
                        Pretty accurate assessment of the situation as far as I see it. I have basically similar numbers for how much cash they have to move

Hopkins is really a net of less than a million dollars when you take into account he has dead money plus Dicker is going to cost something to offset. Maybe they June 1 him

Feiler is a net 5.75m since again, you have to pay somebody on the roster - -my idea is see if he would take a $250k signing bonus and the veterans minimum (not guaranteed unless on roster). If you find somebody better that beats him out, release with just the small signing bonus. Other wise release him

Bosa -- they can take his 24m salary - give a signing bonus that would move $19m to future years. So now around 26m moved if you count Feiler, Hopkins and Bosa.

The big question - what to do with Mack or Allen
                        I think they either need to get Keenan to agree to a salary reduction that really lowers his cap (something like $5m base, $6m signing bonus that can be prorated so his total new cap hit is like $9.7m down from $21.7m or the trade him for like a 4th rounder. If you do this with Allen, the pay cut, it creates $12m of cap space but only moves $4m to the future. Year to early, year to late. Tough decision to be sure as he has been such a good player for so long. I mean - I think this would be an okay solution

Maybe Mack agrees to a small pay cut but I think they can replace Allen easier than Edge Rusher.

But the above moves would get you to the net $40m of cap space needed - 20m for the deficit and $20m for the year.
                        Last edited by Bolt4Knob; 01-24-2023, 07:07 AM.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                          French Speaking Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Québec city
                          • Send PM

I wonder if the Chargers can retain both MW and KA.

Comment

Working...
                          X