• Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Not hard to believe. Run production was 30th and the RBs weren't that bad.
    I put this on Lombo. And Feiler
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• ghost
      The Rise of Kellen Moore
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Not hard to believe. Run production was 30th and the RBs weren't that bad.
      A) injuries to Slater + Pipkens and B) Chargers not disguising their run game intentions very well, causing that very low percentage run-game. Certainly fixable under Moore to these eyes.

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
        Chargers defense.png

It is Staley's squad that has me concerned. I have concerns about the free safety depth, is Gilman the guy? I think we've got the CBs, but would love to have Bryce Callahan back at a price, I think another vet EDGE is a must. I think our LB squad is solid. If the DBs are healthy and solid, I think the DT rotation could be outstanding.
        You're showing 2022 run D stats. It's close to a lock that we'll be avg or better this year. Edge depth also close to a lock, we'll be better than last year. Enough? Maybe, maybe not. FS- Woods college stats look good, Gilman is good depth There are legit questions at FS I liked Callahan too. Probably him or a FS by August.

Comment

• ghost
          The Rise of Kellen Moore
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Ranking the NFL's best offensive play callers ahead of the 2022 season - PFF rankings/June 2022

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-ranking-best-offensive-play-callers-2022

1. ANDY REID, KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

In an interesting, if often talked about, development, Andy Reid has become a better offensive play caller at maximizing success rate rather than EPA. With as many two-high looks as the Chiefs have garnered, they have had to change course on offense. One such example is wide receiver Tyreek Hill’s average depth of target dropping roughly 2.5 yards from 2020 to 2021. The final half of the 2021 AFC championship game notwithstanding, the Chiefs' offense has still managed to be one of the league’s best, but it will have to adjust again in 2022 after the team traded Hill to the Miami Dolphins this offseason.

2. KELLEN MOORE, DALLAS COWBOYS

This might be a head-scratcher for some, but Moore was terrific in 2021. The Cowboys managed to rank third in yards per play and first in points scored despite dealing with injuries to the offensive line, the continued fall-off of running back Ezekiel Elliott, a season-ending injury to wideout Michael Gallup and a significant decline from quarterback Dak Prescott post-calf injury. Not to mention, Moore helped backup signal-caller Cooper Rush win a primetime game in Minnesota. It was a pretty impressive season for the former Boise State quarterback.

ghost - The Chargers organization made major strides in closing the distance on Andy Reid + the Chiefs in play-calling and may yet challenge them for #1 under Moore's guidance.

Comment

• 21&500
            Bolt Spit-Baller
            • Sep 2018
            • A Whale's Vajayjay
            • CMB refugee
            • Send PM

I think it's a long shot Moore ends up as our HC next season but if it does, I'll happily take credit for being the first to consider it.
            Sorry Ghost.
            DMAC already roasted me a new pair when I first suggested the Spanos likely retained staley with the condition he fire Lambo and agree to work with any OC of their choosing including a candidate like Moore who has a resume good enough to land a first time HC gig, at least, a resume more extensive than Staleys when initially hired here as HC.
            it's been long speculated that the Spanos are a fan of the Cowboy model and their coaches (interviewing Jason Garrett even).
            iirc there was a Moore to Chargers connection before the rapid hire.
            I fully believe Staley is here with the understanding that Moore is a legitimate candidate to replace him if shit hits the fan.

And if we actually win the superbowl this season with Staley as HC and Moore leading, say the number 1 offense, I still don't think the Spanos have the balls to move off their first superbowl winning HC. Nor should they imho.
            find another coordinator that can continue the offenses evolution.
            And if this plays out, if I'm Moore, I become very very choosey with what team/QB situation I accept a HC job at.
            Herbert's are rare.
            Gimmie Bower Power!!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
              I think it's a long shot Moore ends up as our HC next season but if it does, I'll happily take credit for being the first to consider it.
              Sorry Ghost.
              DMAC already roasted me a new pair when I first suggested the Spanos likely retained staley with the condition he fire Lambo and agree to work with any OC of their choosing including a candidate like Moore who has a resume good enough to land a first time HC gig, at least, a resume more extensive than Staleys when initially hired here as HC.
              it's been long speculated that the Spanos are a fan of the Cowboy model and their coaches (interviewing Jason Garrett even).
              iirc there was a Moore to Chargers connection before the rapid hire.
              I fully believe Staley is here with the understanding that Moore is a legitimate candidate to replace him if shit hits the fan.

And if we actually win the superbowl this season with Staley as HC and Moore leading, say the number 1 offense, I still don't think the Spanos have the balls to move off their first superbowl winning HC. Nor should they imho.
              find another coordinator that can continue the offenses evolution.
              And if this plays out, if I'm Moore, I become very very choosey with what team/QB situation I accept a HC job at.
              Herbert's are rare.
              I think you’re right that Moore could get HC offer(s?) after his wildly successful 2023 takes the Chargers to the SB win. I agree on the second also - I also don’t see Spani firing Staley to make the room.

But I think it was Staley that got to see and know Moore the best during the teams training week in camp. I have no reason not to believe him when he said he personally kept in contact with him thru the season. Spanos wasn’t calling Moore during the season. Ergo it was Staley that jumped to grab him the second he was available and the skeptics here just pre-decided that Staley cannot get any credit for anything ever - to the point they actually now laud Spanos for doing something right? Talk about a tough choice for the fellas, eh?

To say Spani made the move for Moore all alone would be tantamount to saying they can independently spot and aggressively pursue talent. Since when does anyone here believe the Spani can spot talent, right? Spanos might not have even read the league memo yet on Moore;s firing before Staley had hired him. Staley was jumping on him before Moore even got in his car. The speed and coincidental facts all seem to support Staley doing it, or that makes the most logical sense to me.

Lots of people say “ be choosy” about the HC job but there are only 32 of these jobs. Only 4 to 7 (ish) are open each year. It’s almost never that a first time candidate turns down a HC job, the only guys that do are like a Parcels who have lots of lucrative alternative options. Young Turks know the interviews are a carousel and they may never get another chance at that golden ring again. This is their shot, they don’t let it just go by. I’m sad to say he’ll take any HC job that is offered.

Comment

• ghost
                The Rise of Kellen Moore
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

FwYycw6XsAEW2xr.jpg

Since 1950. Now consider that same coach is building a new offense around Justin Herbert with elements of Mike McCarthy's West Coast offense, Jason Garrett/Air Coryell influences, & Boise St. offenses.

Comment

• ghost
                  The Rise of Kellen Moore
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Former Cowboys OC Kellen Moore is now tasked with reinvigorating an offense that became stagnant despite having electric QB Justin Herbert.

by NFC Beat Writer Eric Williams

When Brandon Staley moved on from offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi and hired Kellen Moore this offseason, the Los Angeles Chargers' defensive-minded head coach viewed it as a chance to align himself more closely with the conductor of his offense.

Staley has been an admirer of the former Dallas Cowboys OC for years. After all, Dallas' explosive offense gave Staley fits when he served as defensive coordinator for the Los Angeles Rams.

What does Staley like most about Moore? His adaptability when players go down due to injury, including when the Cowboys went 4-1 with backup quarterback Cooper Rush last year.

"When I first became a defensive coordinator, they had a right tackle issue," Staley told FOX Sports at the NFL owners meetings earlier this year. "Terence Steele was starting, and they were kind of hurt on the O-line, and I saw [Moore] really navigate that process. Onboarding a rookie receiver in CeeDee Lamb and seeing what he did with those three receivers in [Michael] Gallup, [Amari] Cooper and CeeDee, along with the two tight ends in [Dalton] Schultz and [Blake] Jarwin. And then the work he did with Zeke [Ezekiel Elliott] and [Tony] Pollard. I just thought that was as tough a cover as I had to go against in the NFL.

"And then to see him morph through the years. … A sign of a good coach is being able to figure it out. He's dealing with injuries at receiver. They played five games with a backup quarterback, and they went 4-1. And they were a drive away from going to the NFC Championship Game, so I just think this guy has proven production. How he leads, how he teaches, we see things very similar that way. I think the way he creates is exciting for me."

Innovation and creativity have always been at the core of Moore as a football player. He grew up around the game, carrying a notepad to design plays as a ball boy. Moore is the son of legendary high school football coach Tom Moore, who won four state titles in 23 seasons at Prosser High in a small town nestled along the Yakima River east of the Cascades in Washington state.

Those Prosser teams were known for their no-huddle offense and playing fast, using spread concepts to create big plays against more talented teams from bigger schools in the Seattle area.

Kellen Moore took that ethos with him to Boise State, where he finished 50-3 as a starting quarterback and helped the Broncos slay college football giants like Georgia and Oregon.

"I thought my dad did a really good job of having a clear vision," Kellen Moore told FOX Sports. "I thought that was always the thing about Prosser Mustang football — everyone kind of always on the same page. He always did a real good job of making the game clean and simple, while still being creative and fun. That's always a balancing act for all of us."

After four seasons as OC for the Cowboys, Moore is now tasked with creating a clear vision and foundation for a Los Angeles offense that became stagnant despite having one of the league's best young QBs in Justin Herbert.

The Cowboys averaged 391 yards and 27.7 points a contest during Moore's time as the team's offensive coordinator and playcaller, No. 2 in the NFL during that time.

More importantly to the Chargers, the Cowboys ranked No. 7 in rushing (126.6 yards per game) during that span. Running the ball effectively has been a struggle for the Bolts — one of the reasons they failed to hold onto a 27-0 lead in the AFC wild-card round in a stunning road loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars.

The Chargers averaged just 89.6 rushing yards a game last season, No. 30 in the league.

Both haling from the Pacific Northwest, Moore and Herbert already have a connection, working together in a TV commercial for an auto group along with Cowboys linebacker Leighton Vander Esch.

"The commercial aspect, it's been kind of funny, just the way it all happened in less than 12 months," Moore said. "We spent some time doing some commercials and having some fun, and then lo and behold connecting here after the season.

"He's been awesome to work with. It's been a really fun transition, just getting to know him personally. And then just trying to build this thing together offensively."

Moore played the 2014 season as a backup QB with the Detroit Lions under the direction of Lombardi as the offensive coordinator, so he's familiar with L.A.'s offense and will keep concepts that were successful for Herbert in the past.

"With Justin, any time you have a quarterback that's played at a really high level, certain routes that he may like that we didn't run in Dallas, or I have not run — something he may be more comfortable with — let's continue to make sure we emphasize it," Moore said. "For example, Keenan [Allen] and Justin have a great feel for each other on some of these choice routes, so how do you build off that? Gerald [Everett] ran some of them. Austin [Ekeler] ran some of them. And that's just one example of ‘Let's not lose this.'"

Herbert is learning his sixth different offense in eight seasons, dating back to his time in college at Oregon, so creating a smooth transition is critical for Moore.

Another area of focus for the Chargers is being explosive in three-receiver sets. The Bolts added another weapon in TCU product Quentin Johnston in the first round of this year's draft. At 6-foot-3 and 210 pounds and with 4.5-second speed in the 40-yard dash, Johnston is a big-bodied receiver who adds a vertical threat while also providing an ability to create plays with his feet on underneath routes.

According to Next Gen Stats, the 2022 Chargers ran 67.7% of their plays out of three-receiver sets. Only the Tampa Bay Buccaneers (70.5%) ran more plays out of that personnel grouping last year.

"We really liked the vertical element," Moore said about Johnston. "He did a great job down the field running by people, but more importantly attacking the football, going up and making plays in contested situations. I thought he did a tremendous job there.

"And then I think what really stood out was for his size and frame and what you traditionally expect from that, you saw all these shallow crosses, catch-and-run opportunities, the fly sweeps and bubbles. All this space player stuff that traditionally fits into the slot-receiver mold. And then you see him doing it. We just got really excited when you saw all those pieces connected."

Although he's a defensive coach, Staley played quarterback in college and, like Moore, sees the game through the QB-playcaller lens. That commonality helped bring the two together philosophically as the Chargers attempt to build an offense that can take advantage of Herbert's unique skill set and lead the team on a deep postseason run.

"It's the way he teaches, the way he leads," Staley said about Moore. "Philosophically, you're just kind of aligned with certain people. The way that he sees the game, and the way he can communicate to coaches and players to truly build an offense, I've been such a fan of his for a long time."

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Fw08bRIaAAYMRQu.jpg

Comment

• gzubeck
                      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Tucson, AZ
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
                      This is a good sign...they're smiling!...
                      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

This is a good sign...they're smiling!...
                        He is just thinking about how he did with Dak as his QB and how much better it will be this year! He could easily be one and done here, sadly.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

He is just thinking about how he did with Dak as his QB and how much better it will be this year! He could easily be one and done here, sadly.
                          Hopefully QBCoach takes good notes, I'll wish him the best after he contributes to our first SB trophy

Comment

Working...
                          X