• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lefty2SLO
    Moderate Skeptic
    • May 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
    I’m excited about Moore and enjoy all of these videos. But I’m reminded they are just like draft pick highlight reels, there are a lot of plays not in the tape. These videos give the false impression that every play Moore calls is a genius strip-down master class out-coaching of the defense. Dallas didn’t score or get 1D every play, after all.

Don’t expect every play to be huge. Defense are professional coaches and players too, they get it right sometimes. And sometimes plays are run early in games knowing they won’t be huge gains just to set up a later play if needed
    Yep . . . . . . I'd be willing to bet that a tape such as this showing successful plays by Lombardi could easily be put together (if you looked hard enough). Still think Moore's an improvement though . . . . . . . . we'll see soon

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Yep . . . . . . I'd be willing to bet that a tape such as this showing successful plays by Lombardi could easily be put together (if you looked hard enough). Still think Moore's an improvement though . . . . . . . . we'll see soon
      Depending on field position of course - but all things equal - lets just hope the first play call of the season is not an inside run. Lets be a little more creative and bold than that.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
        Moderate Skeptic
        • May 2022
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Depending on field position of course - but all things equal - lets just hope the first play call of the season is not an inside run. Lets be a little more creative and bold than that.
        Setting the bar pretty low aren't you? I'm expecting a fake bubble screen to DD and a bomb to QJ!!

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Setting the bar pretty low aren't you? I'm expecting a fake bubble screen to DD and a bomb to QJ!!
          The Lombardi syndrome

I like your idea of a play call

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
            Moderate Skeptic
            • May 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

The Lombardi syndrome

I like your idea of a play call
            Yeah - I think we're all suffering from some level of this . . . . . . . .

Comment

• DerwinBosa
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2022
              • Send PM

This is from an article in The Athletic on new play callers. You need to subscribe to The Athletic to read the whole article :

L.A. Chargers: Kellen Moore

How will the former Cowboys coordinator help Justin Herbert reach a new level?

Herbert, the Chargers’ prized quarterback, took a step backward in 2022 after two seasons of growth, and that’s one reason why Brandon Staley fired Joe Lombardi and hired Moore. Moore left Dallas after banging heads repeatedly with McCarthy, but he and Staley share similar philosophies as a pair of young former quarterbacks-turned-coaches.

Staley wants to take better advantage of Herbert’s strong arm and deliver a more potent vertical attack after the Chargers tended to dink and dunk their way downfield, ranking among the worst in air yardage in 2022. Moore is a fan of the big-play passing attack approach.

Moore has said his goal is to help Herbert build on the successes of his first two NFL seasons. The work has begun to help blend the best parts of the Chargers’ previous offense with the best elements of Moore’s.

I always thought Moore was Jerry Jones' guy (for good reason), and Mike McCarthy didn't want him there (out of jealousy), so I wasn't surprised to read that Moore and McCarthy didn't get along. McCarthy's getting what he wants now, so we'll see who does better. The game against the Cowboys is more interesting than it already would have been.

Can McCarthy lead a more effective offense and help Dak Prescott get his groove back?

McCarthy threw Kellen Moore under the bus after the Cowboys fired the former offensive coordinator, saying that Moore’s obsession with scoring points (you do have to score to win, no?) was why the Cowboys lacked balance and why their defense was never rested.

The head coach vowed to run an offense that relies heavily on a physical ground game, saying that would help cut down on Prescott’s career-high 15 interceptions. McCarthy also said he’ll run a more simplistic offense, which he believes will make life easier for Prescott and his teammates.

A lot of big talk. But is it just that? Let’s not forget, McCarthy’s offenses late in his tenure in Green Bay were criticized by Aaron Rodgers and others for being stale and unimaginative.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

I find that without the context that Herbert had busted ribs, a torn labrum and a WR wiped out by injury as the context for his ""step backwards" last year really kind of annoying. He still finished second in the league in passing yardage and 8th in TDs. While I am glad Lombardi is gone and think Moore will take him to MVP consideration, context is important. You know that Moore is really eager to prove McCarthy wrong and he has a better QB to do it.

Comment

• CivilBolt
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Nov 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                  I find that without the context that Herbert had busted ribs, a torn labrum and a WR wiped out by injury as the context for his ""step backwards" last year really kind of annoying. He still finished second in the league in passing yardage and 8th in TDs. While I am glad Lombardi is gone and think Moore will take him to MVP consideration, context is important. You know that Moore is really eager to prove McCarthy wrong and he has a better QB to do it.
                  He also didn’t have Slater for much of the year. I’m excited to see how this O will do with both starting bookend tackles and plethora of WRs.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                    I agree, no idea why writers say that if they know he played all year with broken rib cartilage. I guess it's like most fans who haven't ever had a injury and just can't relate but ribs,.....that's a big one to overcome and he did it best he could and still had a better season than many other QBs..
                    11 Brock Bowers TE - Georgia (plus AZ 2025 1st)
                    35 Kris Jenkins DT - Michigan
                    37 Cooper Beebe OG -Kansas st
                    66 Mike Sainristil CB - Michigan
                    69 Jaylen Wright RB - Tenn or Blake Corum - Michigan
                    100 Brenden Rice WR - USC (trade ⬆️w/ Wash for 2025 5th)
                    110 Cedric Gray LB - N. Carolina
                    140 Hunter Nourzad OC -Penn st
                    181 Jarrian Jones CB - Florida st
                    225 Cedrick Johnson Edge - Ol' Miss ➡️ 253 Fabien Lovett DT-FL st

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

2022 run blocking? Maybe if we cherry picked.
                      Season avg looked a lot different. Dal #9, LAC #30 run production.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Yup. Herbie had 4700 yards passing, Ekeler averaged 4.5+ ypc. There’s plenty of good plays in an 18 game season to fab up a faux highlight reel.
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• TexanBeerlover
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2021
                          • Send PM

The Athletic just released (Mike Jones) article covering the new OC’s or play callers for 15 NFL teams.

L.A. Chargers: Kellen Moore

How will the former Cowboys coordinator help Justin Herbert reach a new level?

Herbert, the Chargers’ prized quarterback, took a step backward in 2022 after two seasons of growth, and that’s one reason why Brandon Staley fired Joe Lombardi and hired Moore. Moore left Dallas after banging heads repeatedly with McCarthy, but he and Staley share similar philosophies as a pair of young former quarterbacks-turned-coaches.

Staley wants to take better advantage of Herbert’s strong arm and deliver a more potent vertical attack after the Chargers tended to dink and dunk their way downfield, ranking among the worst in air yardage in 2022. Moore is a fan of the big-play passing attack approach.

Moore has said his goal is to help Herbert build on the successes of his first two NFL seasons. The work has begun to help blend the best parts of the Chargers’ previous offense with the best elements of Moore’s.

Comment

Working...
                          X