• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lefty2SLO
    Moderate Skeptic
    • May 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Yup. Herbie had 4700 yards passing, Ekeler averaged 4.5+ ypc. There’s plenty of good plays in an 18 game season to fab up a faux highlight reel.
    Just goes to show that anything can be cherrypicked . . . . . . . . .

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
      Moderate Skeptic
      • May 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

2022 run blocking? Maybe if we cherry picked.
      Season avg looked a lot different. Dal #9, LAC #30 run production.
      You could easily fill up an 'interview' tape with great plays if you rolled in 2021 . . . . . . . .

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

You could easily fill up an 'interview' tape with great plays if you rolled in 2021 . . . . . . . .
        Slayter and Linsley had some highlights.

It would be hard to find many plays, if any where all 5 OL + TE are executing a team run blocking scheme effectively. in 21 or 22.

Comment

• Riverwalk
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2021
          • Send PM

Lombardi’s 3rd quarter stats are a high bar to surpass. <just kidding>

Can Moore watch a defense and make adjustments at the half? Lombardi sure couldn’t.

Comment

• Heatmiser
            HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post
            Lombardi’s 3rd quarter stats are a high bar to surpass. <just kidding>

Can Moore watch a defense and make adjustments at the half? Lombardi sure couldn’t.
            That’s a great question. Anyone watch enough Cowboys to know? I just don’t follow them much.

TG
            Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• jamrock
              lawyers, guns and money
              • Sep 2017
              • Send PM

If wonder bread was a person it would be Kellen Moore

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2022
                • Send PM

Most of the time a new hire sounds great in the offseason (I'm sure there were people on here who were very excited about Joe Lombardi as the new offensive coordinator two years ago), but I like what I'm reading about Kellen Moore.

4. Kellen Moore’s offense won the day Wednesday, and there is certainly some excitement surrounding what the new coordinator will bring.

“He’s played before, so he knows what we like, what we don’t like, how defenses play, rather than sticking to something that has been in the offense for a long time,” receiver Keenan Allen said. “He’s willing to change it and make it more friendly to us.”

Allen said that while there are some similarities between Moore’s offense and former OC Joe Lombardi’s offense, Moore is implementing “different terminology” and “some different techniques and ways that he likes to get it done.” Perhaps most importantly, Allen said he thinks Moore “is going to call it different, too” when it comes to game-day play calling.

“Obviously, Justin has a cannon,” Allen said. “Mike goes deep. He has a new guy named Quentin Johnston. He can go deep. We’re probably going to be going deep.”

So some more aggressive play calling and scheming in the passing game seems to be in motion, according to Allen. When it comes to the running game — a weakness for the Chargers last season— left tackle Rashawn Slater said Moore has streamlined that phase.

​“Simplification,” Stater said when asked about what Moore will bring to the rushing attack. “You’d be surprised how much can change in the run game whenever certain rules are rearranged, or just the coaching points change a little bit. I think that is really going to allow us to just play fast and give us a chance to make explosive plays.”

Here is how Moore explained his run-game philosophy: “It’s identifying what your primary runs are going to be, your go-to runs. You want your guys playing fast so that they can allow their physical talents to show up. Trying to identify what are going to be our strengths, and then you have to have enough flavors through a season just to be able to present different things to a defense, protect your primary runs. But, you have to, certainly, identify what’s going to be our hang-our-hat-on type of stuff.”

Identifying go-to runs was a season-long ordeal for the Chargers in 2022 that, frankly, never really materialized. They were searching all season. Moore clearly wants to establish these strengths early and build from there. That is already a step up from a process standpoint.

The Chargers are also shifting things around slightly up front, moving Zion Johnson back to his natural position at left guard. Johnson will now be playing in between Slater and Linsley, and that trio could turn into a scary weapon in the run game.

“I really like the mindset of him coming over,” Slater said. “We will have that side where it’s the two of us, back-to-back first-round picks. I feel like we will really have the opportunity to build for a long time, just build that chemistry over our careers.”

Added Moore: “We’re building this left side that is going to have some tremendous strength behind it.”

The goal for the Chargers' new offense under Moore: More aggressive play calling and identifying go-to plays in the running game.

Comment

• Geezbolt
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Sun Valley, ID
                  • Send PM

IMO, KA's first three words say a lot about Moore. "He's played before". I believe the players respect that. And Moore didn't just play at Boise State, he excelled. His dad was a football coach in Prosser, Washington and he has always been a student of the game. I know I mentioned this when he was first hired, but when he came to Boise State, the coaches said he could have been the team's offensive coordinator from Day 1.

Comment

• Icebolt
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Mar 2023
                    • Send PM

During the off season things always look so good!!. It did 2 years ago with J Lomb

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Icebolt View Post
                      During the off season things always look so good!!. It did 2 years ago with J Lomb
                      Everybody has a plan until they get hit—Mike Tyson

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
                        If wonder bread was a person it would be Kellen Moore
                        If Miracle Whip was a person, it would be Kellen Moore
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Icebolt View Post
                          And we have that to compare this off season to. VERY different IMO, in so many ways.

Comment

Working...
                          X